The Student Room Group

It it possible I have 'Pure O'?

Hello again :smile:

I've been thinking (as I always do :tongue:) that I might have a branch of OCD called 'Pure O'? For those unfamiliar with it, it's similar to OCD, but without the physical compulsions such as e.g. hand-washing, number-checking. Instead, the compulsions are internal, psychological. They include things like rumination and reassurance-seeking.

I'd link to OCD-UK's definition of the term but unfortunately Google's crashed.

Spoiler

I'd like to know the opinion of people on here of what this could be. It may just be part of my anxiety disorder, but there have been suggestions by therapists of my 'tendency to become obsessive and/or seek reassurance which should be monitored'. I find it particularly strange to be so aggrieved by these intrusive thoughts because intellectually I understand that thoughts and feelings aren't facts, but at the time they always seem that way and distress me to no end. :s-smilie:

Of course I will be going to see my GP about this once my exams are over with.

it doesnt matter whats wrong with you

this is just another thing to obsess over, you need to stop and just ignore these recurrant thoughts
Reply 2
Do you think you will be able to recover if you can correctly identify what is causing your distorted thinking?
Even without a proper label, you can still receive therapy (such as CBT) which might help you with your distorted thinking patterns, and teach you to control your anxiety and reduce your paranoia
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
it doesnt matter whats wrong with you

this is just another thing to obsess over, you need to stop and just ignore these recurrant thoughts

Well, obsessing about the correct diagnosis won't help, but my symptoms match a lot of the stuff in Pure O as well as GAD< so I thought I should check it out?

Original post by Charlzi
Do you think you will be able to recover if you can correctly identify what is causing your distorted thinking?
Even without a proper label, you can still receive therapy (such as CBT) which might help you with your distorted thinking patterns, and teach you to control your anxiety and reduce your paranoia

I have done CBT but it was for anxiety and panic attacks and it mostly focussed on worries about my heart and health at the time. However the things that my counsellor hinted at were in fact things indicating possible Pure O :smile:

I hope so, I really do. I'm already concerned about how dependent I am on the Internet and this site too. :/
Original post by Riku
Well, obsessing about the correct diagnosis won't help, but my symptoms match a lot of the stuff in Pure O as well as GAD< so I thought I should check it out?

I'm just saying using as an excuse to ruminate and post more threads on TSR wont help

it doesnt matter whether you 'have' pure O or not, your obsessive thinking is clearly a HUGE problem so start tackling it rather than obsessing further about it
Reply 5
I'm just saying using as an excuse to ruminate and post more threads on TSR wont help

it doesnt matter whether you 'have' pure O or not, your obsessive thinking is clearly a HUGE problem so start tackling it rather than obsessing further about it

Is it really a big problem still? I'm confused :s-smilie: very confused today as I'm now exhausted :tongue:
Reply 6

Is it really a big problem still? I'm confused :s-smilie: very confused today as I'm now exhausted :tongue:
Reply 7
I find anti anxiety drugs such as valium really helpful with all sorts of anxieties and annoying obsessive thoughts but they are said to be a short-term solution. Maybe you could try them though, just as an extra help to counseling, just until things get a little better.
Original post by Riku

is it really a big problem? look at your post history
Reply 9
is it really a big problem? look at your post history

I'm not sure whether it got bad because I was in third year and had a lot of changes (sudden breakup in September but got back together again a few days later, moving house, had to give away my cat :frown: ) or because I was dumb and weaned myself off Fluoxetine too early/not quite under supervision...
Original post by Riku
I'm not sure whether it got bad because I was in third year and had a lot of changes (sudden breakup in September but got back together again a few days later, moving house, had to give away my cat :frown: ) or because I was dumb and weaned myself off Fluoxetine too early/not quite under supervision...

youre not listening at all

it doesn't matter why

it doesnt matter when

it doesn't matter what

just try and change
Reply 11
youre not listening at all

it doesn't matter why

it doesnt matter when

it doesn't matter what

just try and change

But maybe it would help if I went back on medication, that was my point.
Reply 12
It doesn't matter if you have it. Just stop thinking about it, you'll be fine :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Riku
But maybe it would help if I went back on medication, that was my point.

maybe it would help if you learnt to actually stand up to your mental illness rather than letting it control you, medication will fix the symptoms not the problem
Hi
I've had severe OCD for 5 years now and been in hospital for 8 months was only discharged in March. It sounds like you have OCD. Mental compulsions are compulsions and you do do compulsions so that means it's OCD. I can totally understand some of the thoughts you have as I have some of them too.
There are two different ways of treating OCD: medication or therapy.
The two main types of therapy are CBT(cognitive behavioural therapy) or ERP(exposure response prevention) both of these are helpful at beating OCD
the two meds for OCD are anti depressants and anti psychotics. These can be helpful but only short term. Depending on your age if you are under 18 you'll be referred to CAMHS a children and adolescent mental health.
Try to remember this is OCD and that thoughts are always true.
Are you on the OCD UK forums? They may help. Another good OCD website is OCD action as they also do charity groups. I totally know how you feel, im also struggling a lot right now
Madi :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest