The Student Room Group

More and more conscious of Adam's apple size [video included]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donutellme
It's because of the video ahaha

I'd hardly notice it at all. Your chin would hid it from view anyway.

I have quite a long neck so even in 'normal position' it's noticeable and people have pointed it out. I also swallow water in the mirror and can see it bobbing up and down even if I tilt my chin downward to obscure it.
Original post by Autistic Merit
I have quite a long neck so even in 'normal position' it's noticeable and people have pointed it out. I also swallow water in the mirror and can see it bobbing up and down even if I tilt my chin downward to obscure it.

Ah well.

Anyone who does see you lesser for having a large Adam's apple are crazy. It barely serves any purpose apart from showing puberty in males (and having a larger one probably means you're more mature?)
Original post by donutellme
Ah well.

Anyone who does see you lesser for having a large Adam's apple are crazy. It barely serves any purpose apart from showing puberty in males (and having a larger one probably means you're more mature?)

It's debatable about whether it makes you more mature. But I do believe it means that I have more testosterone and it definitely means I have a very deep voice. :colondollar:
Holy **** that's mesmerising.
It's debatable about whether it makes you more mature. But I do believe it means that I have more testosterone and it definitely means I have a very deep voice. :colondollar:

10/10 would bang.
Original post by shiggydiggy
Holy **** that's mesmerising.

Is that a good or bad thing?
http://tinypic.com/r/9rj5tv/8

http://tinypic.com/r/j5v3gn/8

Is it as large as I feel it is? I get very upset when people point out how much it bobs up and down when I'm talking or drinking. I have been eating loads recently (crisps, fried eggs, full fat milk) but can't seem to put on weight and so it stays prominent.

Anyone else able to relate or give advice?

Note: I was thirsty when taking the video so my bobbing wasn't as heavy as it otherwise would have been. :colondollar:

Those videos made me smile (':

Daaayyyuuum, your voice must be deep :O

Have you been to the doctor's? You can have a 'tracheal shave' - a surgery to reduce its size considerably.
Putting on weight may help but it'll probably make you more conscious about your body as opposed to your Adam's apple.. which is worse in my opinion. Besides, it's a genetic thing so I don't suppose you could do much about it?

Many girls find it attractive anyway so find a girl who loves your strange lil Adam's apple and you're sorted :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jenigma
Those videos made me smile (':

Daaayyyuuum, your voice must be deep :O

Have you been to the doctor's? You can have a 'tracheal shave' - a surgery to reduce its size considerably.
Putting on weight may help but it'll probably make you more conscious about your body as opposed to your Adam's apple.. which is worse in my opinion. Besides, it's a genetic thing so I don't suppose you could do much about it?

Many girls find it attractive anyway so find a girl who loves your strange lil Adam's apple and you're sorted :wink:

My voice is very deep, yes. I might post a recording later if I can be bothered.

Honestly I have never once heard of a woman actually finding an Adam's apple attractive. I hope that what you are saying is true.
My voice is very deep, yes. I might post a recording later if I can be bothered.

Honestly I have never once heard of a woman actually finding an Adam's apple attractive. I hope that what you are saying is true.

I genuinely find them attractive on a guy
From a trainee speech and language therapist point of view your video's awesome - that's your larynx moving! :biggrin:

Also, it's definitely not enough to put someone off you, and is probably not even noticeable in person; I focus on someone's eyes/face during conversation infinitely more than their neck! Don't worry :smile:
Original post by Musie Suzie
From a trainee speech and language therapist point of view your video's awesome - that's your larynx moving! :biggrin:

Why the heck does it have to move when I swallow? Is it because it's so big that it has to get out of the way for the water to get past?
Why the heck does it have to move when I swallow? Is it because it's so big that it has to get out of the way for the water to get past?

Have a look at the stages of the swallow on wiki - it will explain it all nicely and save me typing loads :tongue:

It's just something that happens when you swallow, basically. DEFINITELY not just you!
Yes, it is weird as ****.
Original post by Musie Suzie
Have a look at the stages of the swallow on wiki - it will explain it all nicely and save me typing loads :tongue:

It's just something that happens when you swallow, basically. DEFINITELY not just you!

Thanks, was a good read. :smile:

Does anyone know why it has to get so much bigger during puberty? I know a man who has a really deep voice and is really thin but he doesn't have a massive AA. :angry: Why?

Original post by boxed treasures
Yes, it is weird as ****.

Cheers. :frown:
I have started going to the gym a lot recently (I am 24). Could this be the reason why it has increased in size?

Quick Reply

Latest