The Student Room Group

university research poster

I have a A1 research poster due in, what size should the main body text and subheadings be?
I’ve already done all the research I just want the size of text for an A1 poster, not youtube videos
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Hello_qwrt
I have a A1 research poster due in, what size should the main body text and subheadings be?
This is my first research poster and theres not enough space for my text.

Hi @Hello_qwrt

I remember when I had to do my first research poster!

Every project is unique so I can't tell you what to do but what I did was look it up on YouTube. I found lots of videos that were essentially tutorials on how to do a research poster. The videos gave me the exact measurements for everything and helped me create a template that looked great when it was finished because the sizing was perfect. I was able to fit all my information in too, which I was really struggling with beforehand.

Might not be as useful for you, but definitely give it a go! :smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Hey @Hello_qwrt,

My first tip would be check your assignment brief as sometimes it will mention the specifics for this. Assignment briefs are extremely important as you can make sure you are addressing everything your lecturer is expecting and for us they usually include somewhat of a mark scheme which is extremely useful if you are looking for a specific mark.

Some generic feedback I know a lot in my department got when we did our first academic poster was to not have too much information as otherwise the poster looks rather cluttered. A way of making sure it is not like that is holding it at a distance from yourself and seeing if you can read it if you can you've done it right. If not it may be best to remove some information.

We were recommended to look at the posters on Stem for Britain specifically the finalists section and look at the different categories. This can give an idea on layout and how much information is actually required.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

As Rebecca said from @EdgeHillStudents, think about how less writing may be better. So perhaps using bullet points to make it easier to read and trying to use more visuals: graphs, tables and images.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there

It would really depend on the project's content and information. When I worked on my poster research project, I found that it helped to complete the research first. It helps you ascertain how much information you have and it allows you to ensure you considered all the arguments that you can make.

I would suggest leaving formatting and fonts to the end if possible, as reserach posters are graded more on the content of information rather than the designs.

I hope this helps.
Good luck. :smile:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hey @Hello_qwrt,

My first tip would be check your assignment brief as sometimes it will mention the specifics for this. Assignment briefs are extremely important as you can make sure you are addressing everything your lecturer is expecting and for us they usually include somewhat of a mark scheme which is extremely useful if you are looking for a specific mark.

Some generic feedback I know a lot in my department got when we did our first academic poster was to not have too much information as otherwise the poster looks rather cluttered. A way of making sure it is not like that is holding it at a distance from yourself and seeing if you can read it if you can you've done it right. If not it may be best to remove some information.

We were recommended to look at the posters on Stem for Britain specifically the finalists section and look at the different categories. This can give an idea on layout and how much information is actually required.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

I just wanted some advice on the size of text I’ve already done everything else..
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

It would really depend on the project's content and information. When I worked on my poster research project, I found that it helped to complete the research first. It helps you ascertain how much information you have and it allows you to ensure you considered all the arguments that you can make.

I would suggest leaving formatting and fonts to the end if possible, as reserach posters are graded more on the content of information rather than the designs.

I hope this helps.
Good luck. :smile:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Yes I already did the research which was why I posted this question about the size of the main body text.
Yes I already did the research which was why I posted this question about the size of the main body text.

Hey,

I'd say ask your module leader first as they may have specific advice. As others have said, it does depend on the content/word limit etc. I have always been told to ensure that if it's zoomed to fill your screen on your laptop can you still read it from about a metre away. I recently did an A0 poster for our PhD conference and we were given the advice that A0/A1 posters should use a body text size of 24+, and headings should be 48+. As I said, my poster was A0 and my main body text was about 38pt, textbox headings were 58pt and the feedback I received said it was very clear and easy to follow. You need to ensure your content is condensed enough that you can have the size fairly large. Anything you need to exclude can be explained in person if you have to do a presentation as well.

Hope this helps.

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)
(edited 5 months ago)
I just wanted some advice on the size of text I’ve already done everything else..

Hi @Hello_qwrt

Sorry about that. The only information I can find on what our lecturer said about the size is that 12 is too small for the main body and that all poster content should be legible from a distance of 1.5 - 2 meters away.

When I did mine in first year they were A3 with my main body being size 13 and the main headings were 16.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending