The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
​That's what I did.
Reply 741
Oxford's English course appealed to me more. They have a greater stress on the chronology of literature, especially considering the study of Old English. You seem to basically cover everything that the Cambridge course covers in English except you study older stuff too. Cambridge have a weird tragedy paper that is rather vague whereas Oxford stick to a Special Options paper and the Shakespeare paper seems very exciting. Tolkien, Wilde, C.S. Lewis, Carroll, Donne, Shelley. Oxford is well known to be slightly better for humanities, is 2nd in the world according to the Times World University rankings and best in the world for English in the QS subject world rankings. I have a friend at Cambridge who says that English is the 'easy' subject there whereas quite the opposite is thought of at Oxford. We have the Harry Potter dining hall. Cambridge, admittedly, is very pretty but Radcliffe Square in Oxford is arguably the prettiest area of Oxbridge (having visited both places twice) and, usefully, houses the English books in its central masterpiece, the Camera. The admissions process for English seemed more rigorous, the ELAT, written essays, I had a test when I got to my college also. I guess I am post-A level so my decision didn't need UMS marks. I just felt like if I chose Cambridge I would have always chosen an 'easy' option regarding English literature. Oxford also offer an English Course II in the second year.
Agree with most of what you posted but I don't think English is an 'easy' option at Cambridge compared to Oxford.
i chose Oxford simply because Cambridge does not offer Daytime TV Studies with Basket Weaving
i choose Cambridge because... A: It looks like Hogwarts
B: I have always wanted to go to Hogwarts
C: I wanted to study Physics (I LOVE PHYSICS), however i also wanted to study Chemistry too, and Cambridge offered the best course (Natural sciences) so i can decide for the first year what i want to do. The city is fairly small and quant, which is an ideal learning environment for me. Beautiful city, beautiful university. Thats why i choose Cambridge.
Cambridge has dragons (from what I've been told) Oxford doesn't.
Original post by hogwartian1993
Cambridge has dragons (from what I've been told) Oxford doesn't.

No, this isn't right.

Cambridgeshire has giants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hickathrift

Mythical dogs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_shuck

Mythical cats

http://www.localmythsandlegends.com/uk/the-fen-tiger/

and monsters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grendel

but no dragons

They train dragons in Oxford

http://www.dragonschool.org/
I knew I liked Science and Maths, but wasn't sure as to which sciences. It was a choice between Cambridge Physical Natural Science or Oxford Physics, just felt the Natural Science course had more opportunity to change between sciences. Also my brother was at Cambridge so I had been to the city a lot more than I had been to Oxford :smile:
Reply 748
Original post by Postscript
Generally speaking...

Oxfordonions smile with a warm heart
Cambridge folk seem hollow, misty, unreachable even - and not in a good way. A humanity of sorts attracted me to Oxford.

lol wat?
I chose Cambridge because I live in Oxfordshire. Not exactly the most profound reason but it worked for me!
Original post by Wellie
Oxford's English course appealed to me more. They have a greater stress on the chronology of literature, especially considering the study of Old English. You seem to basically cover everything that the Cambridge course covers in English except you study older stuff too. Cambridge have a weird tragedy paper that is rather vague whereas Oxford stick to a Special Options paper and the Shakespeare paper seems very exciting. Tolkien, Wilde, C.S. Lewis, Carroll, Donne, Shelley. Oxford is well known to be slightly better for humanities, is 2nd in the world according to the Times World University rankings and best in the world for English in the QS subject world rankings. I have a friend at Cambridge who says that English is the 'easy' subject there whereas quite the opposite is thought of at Oxford. We have the Harry Potter dining hall. Cambridge, admittedly, is very pretty but Radcliffe Square in Oxford is arguably the prettiest area of Oxbridge (having visited both places twice) and, usefully, houses the English books in its central masterpiece, the Camera. The admissions process for English seemed more rigorous, the ELAT, written essays, I had a test when I got to my college also. I guess I am post-A level so my decision didn't need UMS marks. I just felt like if I chose Cambridge I would have always chosen an 'easy' option regarding English literature. Oxford also offer an English Course II in the second year.

This might be somewhat off point but I really want to apply for English at Oxford, could you give me any tips on interviews and general admissions criteria? May be even a levels? I presume you got minimum an A in English Literature, I have my A2 exam really soon (I'm going to be a post a level applicant also). OH! Whats it like being a post-a level candidate? Is it easier? :smile: Thank you
Speaking for my d. Since she was 12, she said she wanted to go to Oxford so we took her to see it. When there, she found the people stuffy, condescending ("well, apply if you think you're good enough"), and cold. The town also appeared cluttered and commercial.

Our next stop was Cambridge, where her experience was openness, enthusiasm without pretension, and encouragement. THe people were warm and interested in her personally. She also liked the town better - smaller, more quiet, more elegant.

So she chose Cam. HSPS, Girton.
I used to think they were elixir universities, until I attended their summer schools. I would prefer Cambridge, I noticed the enthusiasm in the students and participation in multiple activities. Oxford also has the same! They are equally good. But my offers are from UCL, imperial and Oxford. But I'm choosing UCL, I would've chosen Oxford if I did engineering or related subject. But for medicine, I chose UCL. It depends on the course, also a social stigma lies upon it! You are an intelligent philanthropist if you attend Oxford/Cambridge unless you belong to a wealthy family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Primarily because as an applicant studying in an Indian examination board, Cambridge didn't permit me to apply for Law. But even if that wasn't the case I would have chosen Oxford. Cambridge just came across as very unfriendly (their whole application and interview process) and unnecessarily complicated (their supplement). Furthermore, having lived in a city of around 10 million people for most of my life, I like Oxford more because it's bigger!

And lastly I got the feeling Cambridge students were a bit too academically focussed. While people at both unis work very hard and are super intelligent, I just got the impression that Cambridge students worked too hard, more than I'm used to, and I wouldn't fit in well in that kind of an academic environment.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

The only genuinely impartial uni rankings on the web. Go figure #teamcam #gettheUMS #gotocambridge
Cambridge is closer. The course I want to do is better at Cambridge. It is cheaper to live in Cambridge than Oxford. Cambridge is more reputable for science, technology and engineering and Cambridge is prettier / isn't as busy as Oxford
I chose Oxford because I'm an international student and where I live hardly anyone know about Cambridge, while everyone knows about Oxford. So in my mind I had always framed Oxford as better (not saying it actually is). Also Oxford has the greatest Classics department in the world.
Because my UMS weren't good enough for Cambridge haha, that is all.

I didn't expect to get into either so I initially didn't look into it much but I knew I definitely didn't stand a chance if I applied to Cambridge. But since attending the open day, interview and receiving an offer I have grown to love Oxford :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simba_n
Because my UMS weren't good enough for Cambridge haha, that is all.

I didn't expect to get into either so I initially didn't look into it much but I knew I definitely didn't stand a chance if I applied to Cambridge. But since attending the open day, interview and receiving an offer I have grown to love Oxford :smile:

Oxford:A.A.B-281_xlarge.jpg
Cambridge:

Cambridge:

Spoiler

Enough said. Cambridge is really only very impressive around the backs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth

Enough said. Cambridge is really only very impressive around the backs.

Beauty contest
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1648667

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending