The Student Room Group

MPhil Economics/Economic Research Cambridge 2023

Hi everyone, I thought I'd create a forum for anyone applying to Cambridge MPhil Economics or Economic Research as there seem to be lots of us and not many have had a decision yet.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aos22
Hi everyone, I thought I'd create a forum for anyone applying to Cambridge MPhil Economics or Economic Research as there seem to be lots of us and not many have had a decision yet.

Yh hi I applied end of November for MPhil Econ. Status still says 'Under review by department'.
Reply 2
I don't know why i'm still waiting for a response, since I already received an offer for my first choice. Guess I'm just curious HAHA
I dont think we'll hear back until mid march unfortunately
Original post by Rock_99
I don't know why i'm still waiting for a response, since I already received an offer for my first choice. Guess I'm just curious HAHA
I dont think we'll hear back until mid march unfortunately

Congrats, can I ask where you got the offer from? I assume alot of us have applied to the same Econ related courses
Reply 4
I applied for the 2-year MSc Economics at LSE which for me is superior to Cambridge for my goals. Tough choice b/w LSE and Oxford though but Oxford apps are toughhhhh
Reply 5
Original post by Rock_99
I applied for the 2-year MSc Economics at LSE which for me is superior to Cambridge for my goals. Tough choice b/w LSE and Oxford though but Oxford apps are toughhhhh

I also have an offer from LSE for the 1-year MSc Economics. Everyone seems to think LSE is better than Cambridge but it's a tough decision for me as I would prefer to live in Cambridge over London and Cambridge is cheaper.
Reply 6
I would say if you want to do a PhD, then definitely go with LSE. The professors and therefore potential LORs are way way waaaaaay superior to Cambridge, they're not even in the same universe. If you just want to get a job afterwards (or want to get your PhD at Cambridge) then go for Cambridge.

BTW my analysis completely ignores cost, so if that's a major issue then you can't go wrong with Cambridge

Original post by aos22
I also have an offer from LSE for the 1-year MSc Economics. Everyone seems to think LSE is better than Cambridge but it's a tough decision for me as I would prefer to live in Cambridge over London and Cambridge is cheaper.
Original post by aos22

Wow, when did you both apply for LSE. I applied for LSE (1-year), Cambridge and UCL and haven't heard back anywhere.
Reply 8
Original post by samsom1111
Wow, when did you both apply for LSE. I applied for LSE (1-year), Cambridge and UCL and haven't heard back anywhere.

So application sent for review Dec 16 (literally right before holiday closure). Jan 9 had the "received" thing happen. Jan 10 official offer.
did you do the GMAT/GRE?
Reply 10
Original post by samsom1111

Applied 30th October, offer 6th January. Got an offer from UCL in mid November as well and applied around the same time.
Regarding the MPhil in Econ Research, last year, the first offers were made by the end if January. Surprised no one has received one yet.

I also applied to Oxford’s MPhil in Economics.
(edited 1 year ago)
There was a survey on Weibo (a Chinese APP) in late January and some students reported they received offer from Cambridge's MPhil in Econ Research. Don't know if that's true.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rock_99
I would say if you want to do a PhD, then definitely go with LSE. The professors and therefore potential LORs are way way waaaaaay superior to Cambridge, they're not even in the same universe. If you just want to get a job afterwards (or want to get your PhD at Cambridge) then go for Cambridge.

BTW my analysis completely ignores cost, so if that's a major issue then you can't go wrong with Cambridge

But LSE is pretty hard to get funding or get admitted by the top 10 Ph.D. unless you graduated from a prestigious undergrad university. If you wish to finish your Ph.D. asap and go for industry, then definitely go for Cambridge.
Original post by HelloWorld111
There was a survey on Weibo (a Chinese APP) in late January and some students reported they received offer from Cambridge's MPhil in Econ Research. Don't know if that's true.

A person in the main thread got an offer around 5 days ago. They said that they were told that they received one earlier than other applicants due to the fact they were to be nominated for ESRC funding. So I would be very surprised if this is true.
Reply 15
Yeh I'm 50/50 between PhD and going straight to industry at the moment. My plan is to work for an internship this summer and if I like it there and get a job offer, then I'll go to Cambridge if I can because I prefer it there. Otherwise, I might go to LSE and do PhD. What are your thoughts on the quality/reputation of the Oxford MPhil because I've applied there as well.
Original post by HelloWorld111
But LSE is pretty hard to get funding or get admitted by the top 10 Ph.D. unless you graduated from a prestigious undergrad university. If you wish to finish your Ph.D. asap and go for industry, then definitely go for Cambridge.
Original post by aos22
Yeh I'm 50/50 between PhD and going straight to industry at the moment. My plan is to work for an internship this summer and if I like it there and get a job offer, then I'll go to Cambridge if I can because I prefer it there. Otherwise, I might go to LSE and do PhD. What are your thoughts on the quality/reputation of the Oxford MPhil because I've applied there as well.

I will vote for Oxford MPhil if you want to do PhD. Its placement is much better than Cambridge and it's basically the same as LSE. I have friends in the top 10 PhD who graduated from Oxford. One drawback of an MPhil course at Oxford is that it lasts two years, which means more living expenses and tuition fees. If you choose industry, then there's not much difference between Oxbridge. I will choose the one-year program if I make up my mind to give up the PhD.

If your undergrad school is really good, then just choose LSE. All that matters for PhD is a prestigious undergrad school + LoR by outstanding professors + top journal coauthorship. You'll need at least two of them to go to a top 10 or top 5 PhD.
(edited 1 year ago)
Overall, Oxford and LSE strictly dominate Cambridge. Here is where things get tricky. If you plan on doing Macroeconomics then LSE and Cambridge are definitely better than Oxford. Now if you still don't know what you would want to do your PhD in, then definitely go for Oxford or LSE. The choice between these two is hard for several reasons.

1) Funding differences
2) Oxford is a 2 year program which gives you a chance to get to know your professors (though professor quality significantly lower than LSE)
3) Oxford Dphil + Mphil is 6 years total, whereas LSE MSc then Mres+PhD is 7 years
4) If you have academia ambitions then you MUST do your PhD at LSE. Cambridge and Oxford just aren't good enough. However, if you are dead set on industry, then LSE's academic reputation doesn't matter that much in which case I would go for Cambridge (if macro) or Oxford (for any other subfield)

Original post by aos22
Reply 18
Does anyone know what a typical offer for Econ Research is ?
Original post by aos22
Does anyone know what a typical offer for Econ Research is ?

conditional offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending