The Student Room Group

AS students- which AS subject will/might you drop this year and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Darkwarrior23
How many economic degrees require maths? if not all then definetly drop maths an A in Sociology is much better and valuable then a C in maths in my opinion :tongue: and push AS math grade up next year

That's the issue, the university I would ideally like to go to requires maths which makes me feel sfahgilushgisdsdfhhgfdsiaft0wah ... But I don't think I could deal with another year of pressure the maths department puts maths students through! -_- I am honestly so confused. The option of not dropping anything isn't even there as I would probably die ..:bawling:
Original post by Okkefac
I finished with 15 minutes at the end, and I never go through my answers, I would've stared at the cute little guy for all 15 minutes but I felt I would've looked weird if anyone noticed.
I might be good at it, I have no idea, I've done well in my past papers but I only did 3 for the two bio units each (compared to my other subjects where I did more, whoops).
Ah, what was 40 out of? My school doesn't let us know our ISA results until results day, and if we want to resit we have to do it next year in May, which is stupid.

We got 2 shots at the ISA got 28/50 (U) woops and 40/50 which is 80% yet because the grade boundaries are soooo high that equates to just about a C according to last years grade boundaries lol :eek::angry: you need 45 for A and 42 for B.
Original post by KirenA
That's the issue, the university I would ideally like to go to requires maths which makes me feel sfahgilushgisdsdfhhgfdsiaft0wah ... But I don't think I could deal with another year of pressure the maths department puts maths students through! -_- I am honestly so confused. The option of not dropping anything isn't even there as I would probably die ..:bawling:

Wow thats a dilemma.... wait till results day you might have done better
Predicted A A A A In English, History, RS, Sociology
Confident i will get them, i did work constantly from september.. slacked at revision, only doing 2/3 days before, BUT id made revision sheets all the way through the year and all my exams went great i feel

Dilemma in what to drop
Hated History all year.. but i consistently do so well in it, with minimal effort and its a facilitating subject unlike Sociology
but i just can't stand it 90% of the time :frown:
Original post by Amethysst
Confident i will get them, i did work constantly from september.. slacked at revision, only doing 2/3 days before, BUT id made revision sheets all the way through the year and all my exams went great i feel

Dilemma in what to drop
Hated History all year.. but i consistently do so well in it, with minimal effort and its a facilitating subject unlike Sociology

You sound like someone who can carry on with 4 A2s, you've been on top of your revision since September
Original post by Amethysst

Dilemma in what to drop
Hated History all year.. but i consistently do so well in it, with minimal its a facilitating subject unlike Sociology

This is exactly me! Although my choice is between history and psychology. Think it will come down to what I do better in on the day. Don't need either of them for uni and history is a lot of unnecessary effort + can be so boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We got 2 shots at the ISA got 28/50 (U) woops and 40/50 which is 80% yet because the grade boundaries are soooo high that equates to just about a C according to last years grade boundaries lol :eek::angry: you need 45 for A and 42 for B.

I'm so jealous, we only get one shot, and I have no idea how I've done, which seems totally unfair. 2 out of 3 of my subjects with coursework DON'T let us resit, which I hate.
Wait, this is out of 50? I thought it was out of 60, we were told it was out of 60 and 56 was an A o.O
What the hell is wrong with my school.
Original post by Okkefac
I'm so jealous, we only get one shot, and I have no idea how I've done, which seems totally unfair. 2 out of 3 of my subjects with coursework DON'T let us resit, which I hate.
Wait, this is out of 50? I thought it was out of 60, we were told it was out of 60 and 56 was an A o.O
What the hell is wrong with my school.

Nope it's out of 50 Check the grade boundaries on the AQA website... although I don't know if the practical marks are inclusive... and haha thats unfair we always get 2 shots at the ISA.. was your isa on the Titration?
What do you want to do at university?:smile:

Continuing the trend of a lot of people in this thread, CompSci :P
Original post by k4l397
Continuing the trend of a lot of people in this thread, CompSci :P

woo i want to do comp sci too :biggrin:
I only do French, German and maths so can't drop anything. I dropped further maths earlier this year though due to time off. I want to study languages at university so couldn't really drop a language, which is why fm had to go. I'm hoping to pick it back up next year though :biggrin:
I'm probably going to drop rs, it was only a filler subject -I needed a 4th AS and essays are my thing- I'll hopefully be carrying on psychology, history and english lit because most uni's don't even recognise rs especially for psychology which I want to do at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry because ISAs can go **** themselves. I think I got an A in both exams but my ISAs were absolute ****, so I'm not sure if I got an A overall.
probably computing, dont really need it now
Reply 134
I'm going to drop Biology because I feel as if it's not worth my while- I moderately enjoy my other three AS subjects but I hate CCEA Biology.
Yeah and I dont know why but it seems like London is a nice city but it has lost all "community" do you get what I mean? + I like cardiff unis specialty on sports... I want to play rugby there :colondollar: far enough from home eh cheeky :wink:

Yeah I do :smile: There's good sailing in Cardiff too, which is what I like :biggrin: And yeah, far enough that my parents wont come visiting every weekend!!! :tongue:
Original post by rakin295
Chemistry because ISAs can go **** themselves. I think I got an A in both exams but my ISAs were absolute ****, so I'm not sure if I got an A overall.

Couldn't agree more.

I remember everyone saying ISAs arent a big deal only small percentage of total AS grade but to get an A (240) if you flop your ISAs you have to get as close to full UMS for both exams to barely scrape a low A
Original post by emily288
Yeah I do :smile: There's good sailing in Cardiff too, which is what I like :biggrin: And yeah, far enough that my parents wont come visiting every weekend!!! :tongue:

Haha I'm sold, see you next year then :tongue:
Nope it's out of 50 Check the grade boundaries on the AQA website... although I don't know if the practical marks are inclusive... and haha thats unfair we always get 2 shots at the ISA.. was your isa on the Titration?

Yeah I think I remember reading that it was, ugh, my school is strange, I don't understand it sometimes.
It might be because 100 people do biology at my school, ~70 do chemistry and ~60 do physics, although for chemistry we were actually allowed to resit, unlike the others.
Titration? What, for chemistry? We had three different topics for chemistry like three sections to make up the whole practical thing.
Original post by Okkefac
Yeah I think I remember reading that it was, ugh, my school is strange, I don't understand it sometimes.
It might be because 100 people do biology at my school, ~70 do chemistry and ~60 do physics, although for chemistry we were actually allowed to resit, unlike the others.
Titration? What, for chemistry? We had three different topics for chemistry like three sections to make up the whole practical thing.

like 1/3 of my year group took bio because it was considered the easy science... boy do they regret it now... I think like 60% of them will drop it for A2 only med/dent applicants keeping it. And what 3 different sections? We just did a simple acid-base titration in which we had to find the concentration of the solution then our whole paper was based on amounts of substance and balancing horrific equations. Our other ISA was longer and based on group 7 reactions and then our paper was much easier.

For biology our isa's were testing starch,reducing sugars and non-reducing sugars and then the other one was on rate of osmosis. Then we had tons of how science works questions so I don't understand why Bio2 was full off the stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest