The Student Room Group

a level

ik i dont need to decide rn but im gonna start applying for sixthforms soon and im stuck between doing
maths chemistry biology and politics or
maths chemistry history and politics.
i also know many people are saying to do only 3 so i would do maths chemistry and one of the other 3 which one tho !?!? i love all the subjects and im good at all that i do at gcse level
Reply 1
Original post by ymj
ik i dont need to decide rn but im gonna start applying for sixthforms soon and im stuck between doing
i also know many people are saying to do only 3 so i would do maths chemistry and one of the other 3 which one tho !?!? i love all the subjects and im good at all that i do at gcse level

Any ideas for what you're planning to do at uni? Worth checking out what subjects are needed for the degree(s) you want to do if so.
If you're really torn, I'd probably go for the second option because it's a nice mix of essay-based and non-essay-based subjects, leaving you more open. The first choice would definitely lend you to a more science based route, but the use of politics would still leave some essay-based degrees open at uni too though.

A-levels are very hard, hence why it's recommended to do 3. However it's definitely possible to do 4, but it's very dependent on you and the support from your school (especially if your subjects fit together in the timetable). The general rule of thumb is quality over quantity: some unis might give you a lower offer with 4 A-levels, but most of the time the offer is still for 3. Having A*A*A is better than AAAA for example. In the end, it might be worth starting with 4 A-levels and seeing how you get on. You can always drop one if you find it too difficult (might also be easier to make up your mind then, as some A-levels are very different to GCSEs).

Hope that helps! Your first question as said is very dependent on the pathway you want to take, so feel free to let us know for more personalised advice. Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by ymj

Hi @ymj,

I know this might still be a long ways away, but have you considered what course you would like to do in university? or potentially which career path you would like to take? If you're struggling to decide your combination of subjects, maybe you could base it off of what you would like to do in the future.

If you suggest that you don't mind what your third subject is, you can research into the courses at potential universities you would like to go to and see what their A-Level requirements are.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 3
im not sure what course i want to do, im interested in medicine/science but im also interested in politics and criminal justice/law and forensics if you get what i mean
Original post by ymj
im not sure what course i want to do, im interested in medicine/science but im also interested in politics and criminal justice/law and forensics if you get what i mean

For medicine, taking biology and chemistry (plus any other A level) will cover the requirements of most med schools.
Original post by ymj

Hi @ymj ,

This sounds like such a tough choice to make.

Usually 3 are recommended as @BCU Student Rep has mentioned, but doing 4 is not impossible.

I would say to start with 4 then drop down to 3. Talk to your teachers who will teach these subjects as they might be able to give you a bit of an insight into what the subjects are like for a-level.

Thinking about future career and degrees (if this is the direction you choose to go down), some degrees do not require you to have studies certain subjects but medicine might so do check. You can check on universities websites (you dont have to know which one you want to go to yet but take a look at different ones and see if its common to need certain subjects for law, medicine etc.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ymj

Take biology chemistry maths and law. If you find it difficult, drop Law
Original post by ymj

I'd do bio chem history then, with bio and chem you have just as many chances to get into medicine but since you have an essay based subject it'll help you get into law.

I'd also recommend taking psychology instead of history because then u can also go into law but also forensics AND it opens up more courses under healthcare.

Just a little warning, since ur in yr 11 make sure to rly take care in getting 7+ in your sciences AND maths (and obvs pass the other subjects).
Also, once you're applying for uni, don't apply to both courses at the same uni (if you do) - they will probably reject both since they want someone who KNOWS what they want (or so i heard).
Original post by limbobimbo

I'd do bio chem history then, with bio and chem you have just as many chances to get into medicine but since you have an essay based subject it'll help you get into law.

I'd also recommend taking psychology instead of history because then u can also go into law but also forensics AND it opens up more courses under healthcare.

Just a little warning, since ur in yr 11 make sure to rly take care in getting 7+ in your sciences AND maths (and obvs pass the other subjects).
Also, once you're applying for uni, don't apply to both courses at the same uni (if you do) - they will probably reject both since they want someone who KNOWS what they want (or so i heard).

Obviously tho, if you want to do 4 subjects also take maths since that's really good for medicine
Original post by ymj

For medicine you only need bio and chem however if you want to go into something to do with law it may be good to get a mix of some essay subjects as maths isnt compulsory but unis for law often like a essay subject isnt required so option 1 seems the best to go into both then most schools allow you to drop one in year 13 drop your weakest one in terms of just 3 id say bio chem and an essay subject but ultimately the choice is yours
Reply 10
i dont want to do law i was just interested in the criminal side of it, im way more interested in politics than law sorry if i didnt make that clear
Original post by ymj
i dont want to do law i was just interested in the criminal side of it, im way more interested in politics than law sorry if i didnt make that clear

point still stands just do bio chem and politics but again the choice is yours in the end
hope you do well in your gcses
Reply 12
Original post by lilysilly_5454
point still stands just do bio chem and politics but again the choice is yours in the end
hope you do well in your gcses

thanks i will take that into account

Quick Reply

Latest