The Student Room Group

Subject choice

Hello, will universities query why I am choosing A Levels Economics and Business Studies as two of my A Levels? Do they make good subject combination as there are some overlap.

I would like to go into Finance for my undergraduate degree.
Reply 1
Economics and Business studies are very similar subjects, and so you might be at a disadvantage when applying for some universities. For example, LSE would consider these two to be overlapping subjects, which would contribute a narrow subject combination.

If you haven't chosen your subjects yet, I would advise you to reconsider.

That isn't to say that other universities won't consider you, I speak generally and for the more competitive unis/courses :smile:
Original post by Hospitality
Hello, will universities query why I am choosing A Levels Economics and Business Studies as two of my A Levels? Do they make good subject combination as there are some overlap.

Hi @Hospitality,

Choosing A-levels with some overlap can be fine, especially if they align with your intended career path. Both courses are relevant for someone interested in pursuing a career in finance.

Universities typically consider an overall academic profile, normally including your results, personal statement and reference. The choice of subjects is just one aspect of this profile. You could also choose to explain in your personal statement or interviews how your choice of A-levels aligns with your aspirations in finance. You could highlight the different skills and knowledge gained from both subjects and how they contribute to your readiness to study finance.

If you are concerned about subject choices and how they might be perceived by universities, it could be helpful to research specific unis and programs you are interested in. You can check their entry requirements and see any recommended or required A-level subjects.

Good luck!
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi! I’m an a level student and I took business econ maths and geography- I got 4 offers from bath Bristol kings and Durham and rejected Oxford but post interview -
So I can safely say that taking both will not ruin your chances - however- I would recommend both only if ur taking 4 a levels
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lushlife889
Hi! I’m an a level student and I took business econ maths and geography- I got 4 offers from bath Bristol kings and Durham and rejected Oxford but post interview -
So I can safely say that taking both will not ruin your chances - however- I would recommend both only if ur taking 4 a levels

Thank you. This is useful to know as I am interested in Durham, Exeter and Bath. At my school, we are expected to choose four subjects for AS level in year 12 and then have the opportunity to drop one in year 13, leaving with 3 A Levels. With that in mind, I was hoping to do Sociology, Economics, Business studies and one other subject (haven’t chosen yet due to clashes in the option block) with the hope of dropping Business Studies in year 13. I am hoping with the four AS subjects, I am able to earn more UCAS points and then focus on the three in year 13.

My sixth form also allow us to three A levels with the option of doing EPQ.
Thank you. This is useful to know as I am interested in Durham, Exeter and Bath. At my school, we are expected to choose four subjects for AS level in year 12 and then have the opportunity to drop one in year 13, leaving with 3 A Levels. With that in mind, I was hoping to do Sociology, Economics, Business studies and one other subject (haven’t chosen yet due to clashes in the option block) with the hope of dropping Business Studies in year 13. I am hoping with the four AS subjects, I am able to earn more UCAS points and then focus on the three in year 13.

I would recommend taking maths as u want to do finance and then taking maths business and econ should be fine - I did an epq but complete waste of time if I’m honest 😂 except for bath from which I got a reduced offer

You should be fine with those, especially if you are going to drop business studies after AS level. Yes, there may be some overlap in those subjects, but you should be fine. Just double check unis requirements on their websites for finance and double check if theres any particular subjects they require and what grades they want.

As above, taking the combination as part of 3 A-levels is an issue for a number of universities due to overlapping content between the subjects. If you're doing it as part of a combination of 4 A-levels it's usually less of an issue, although 3 A-levels plus an EPQ with both business studies and economics may still be a concern. Note also even if you do it as part of 4 A-levels, they may simply not consider one of the two at all so it would be of no real benefit to do that anyway.

I would honestly suggest doing 3 subjects and only doing one of economics or business studies. There is really nothing to gain from doing both, or from doing 4 A-levels in the first place.
Reply 8
Im a year12 going into yr 13 - taking Maths, Econ, Comp sci and Business. I want to drop comp sci or business (cant cope with 4). I am performing better in business (achieving A/A*) compared to comp sci (achieving B/C). The chances of me achieving an A is Comp Sci are slim as i have lost my passion for the subject. Im wanting to apply for Economics at universities with requirements AAA. Any opinions?
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest