The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 revision thread!

Scroll to see replies

if individual differences/pyscodynamic doesn't come up i will be so angry:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I will be a sending a letter of complaint to OCR for making such a **** spec which is really a big fat memory test and write as much as you can in 2 hours test,nothing more
Original post by humairajam
if individual differences/pyscodynamic doesn't come up i will be so angry:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I will be a sending a letter of complaint to OCR for making such a **** spec which is really a big fat memory test and write as much as you can in 2 hours test,nothing more

Urgh I know right. It feels like you don't actually need to understand anything, just remember a whole big heap of stuff. Luckily I'm good at remembering things though, so I'm not complaining :biggrin:

Was expecting to learn more about psychology in general though, from taking it for A level, rather than just loads of research people have done....
Anyone doing an allnighter?

Only way for me I hate 9am exams!

Just cracking open a can of redbull, oh man I can't wait for Uni haha
Providing I get there, off course!

Also, before I forget.

This is obviously the first year they've scrapped January exams.
As a result a few of my teachers have said they'd slightly lower the grade boundaries to take into consideration the amount of revision we have to do over summer.

Anyone actually believe that?
I'm a bit cynical because so far all 4 exams I've done have been quite kind papers so I think the grade boundries will be high
Original post by JackT95
Providing I get there, off course!

Also, before I forget.

This is obviously the first year they've scrapped January exams.
As a result a few of my teachers have said they'd slightly lower the grade boundaries to take into consideration the amount of revision we have to do over summer.

Anyone actually believe that?
I'm a bit cynical because so far all 4 exams I've done have been quite kind papers so I think the grade boundries will be high

With you on the all nighter! I don't know why I always leave things to the last minute when i'm sure I would be 100x less stressed if I just revised before the exam arrived.
I was thinking about whether they would lower the grade boundaries earlier, and I personally think it could be true as without the january exams we have been drowning in revision. Learning 50+ studies in detail is no mean feat and i'm sure they will have to take it into consideration, or at least we can pray that they will :frown: Probably only be like 2 marks anyway if they do.
Original post by waxfilledtin
With you on the all nighter! I don't know why I always leave things to the last minute when i'm sure I would be 100x less stressed if I just revised before the exam arrived.
I was thinking about whether they would lower the grade boundaries earlier, and I personally think it could be true as without the january exams we have been drowning in revision. Learning 50+ studies in detail is no mean feat and i'm sure they will have to take it into consideration, or at least we can pray that they will :frown: Probably only be like 2 marks anyway if they do.

Yeah :frown:

On all 3 psychology papers iv sat so far iv counted how many marks iv definitely got and how many iv definitely threw away to come up with a prediction.

So far I think ive got roughly

Unit 1 - 40/60
Unit 2 - 80/120
Unit 3- 60/100

I know its difficult but if you had to guess what grade would you say them 3 units amount to overall?

I believe its a borderline B/C.

Which only adds to the pressure of the last paper as I need a B overall :frown:
Original post by JackT95
Yeah :frown:

On all 3 psychology papers iv sat so far iv counted how many marks iv definitely got and how many iv definitely threw away to come up with a prediction.

So far I think ive got roughly

Unit 1 - 40/60
Unit 2 - 80/120
Unit 3- 60/100

I know its difficult but if you had to guess what grade would you say them 3 units amount to overall?

I believe its a borderline B/C.

Which only adds to the pressure of the last paper as I need a B overall :frown:

Well I have no idea what it would equal but last year on unit 3, 68/100 raw marks was an A, 61 was a B so that paper is really not far off an A at all. If you take what you got last year and i'm sure you can kind of predict. Although there is really no point adding up how many marks you need as you should try your absolute best to get every single mark you can possibly get in this paper anyway and if you don't get the B then there is nothing you could have done. At least you only need a B, I need an A! :frown: I didn't have chance to even read through my unit 3 paper so I have no idea how well i've done, but I dont think it was detailed enough. I figured I might have about 16/25 for each question but maybe i'm just being pessimistic. I did do well last year though so I hope i've done enough for an A.
Well I have no idea what it would equal but last year on unit 3, 68/100 raw marks was an A, 61 was a B so that paper is really not far off an A at all. If you take what you got last year and i'm sure you can kind of predict. Although there is really no point adding up how many marks you need as you should try your absolute best to get every single mark you can possibly get in this paper anyway and if you don't get the B then there is nothing you could have done. At least you only need a B, I need an A! :frown: I didn't have chance to even read through my unit 3 paper so I have no idea how well i've done, but I dont think it was detailed enough. I figured I might have about 16/25 for each question but maybe i'm just being pessimistic. I did do well last year though so I hope i've done enough for an A.

Yeah I'm sure everyone is pessimistic really.
Its like the 16/25 question maybe you've surprised yourself and wrote another good point or 2 and got 22/23 instead of 16.

Its a myth that examiners are cruel at marking.

The harshest markers throughout the year are probably your teachers as they don't want to lead you into a false sense of security.

Examiners are looking to award marks for every bit of knowledge they can.

I have a feeling this paper today is gunna be horrible.
Really hope i am wrong.
Original post by JackT95
Anyone doing an allnighter?

Only way for me I hate 9am exams!

Just cracking open a can of redbull, oh man I can't wait for Uni haha

I'm doing this!
Original post by JackT95
Yeah I'm sure everyone is pessimistic really.
Its like the 16/25 question maybe you've surprised yourself and wrote another good point or 2 and got 22/23 instead of 16.

Its a myth that examiners are cruel at marking.

The harshest markers throughout the year are probably your teachers as they don't want to lead you into a false sense of security.

Examiners are looking to award marks for every bit of knowledge they can.

I have a feeling this paper today is gunna be horrible.
Really hope i am wrong.

pfft, I guess examiners aren't always harsh at marking but i've got nothing to compare to because my teacher didn't mark anything and we didn't even do a mock paper. I really hope I got 22/25 haha! I know that the examiners might not be harsh markers but they can't mark things right if the detail is not there! I dunno if the paper will be horrible, I think we will get in there and find it's not so hard and we actually know what we are writing about. I was ridiculously unprepared for G543 but when I got in there I knew what to write.
I am kind of so looking forward to results day to see how i actually did and so dreading it at the same time. Feel like I haven't done nearly enough work to justify getting AAB.
pfft, I guess examiners aren't always harsh at marking but i've got nothing to compare to because my teacher didn't mark anything and we didn't even do a mock paper. I really hope I got 22/25 haha! I know that the examiners might not be harsh markers but they can't mark things right if the detail is not there! I dunno if the paper will be horrible, I think we will get in there and find it's not so hard and we actually know what we are writing about. I was ridiculously unprepared for G543 but when I got in there I knew what to write.
I am kind of so looking forward to results day to see how i actually did and so dreading it at the same time. Feel like I haven't done nearly enough work to justify getting AAB.

if you get ABB im sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Possibly even BBB might get you a place.

I hate to come across as the grim reaper but I feel this year there's gunnaa be a lot of heheartbroken students who miss out on their first choice.

I can only speak on behalf of my college but scrapping the january exams have caused so much panic.

Some of my classmates have even resigned to the fact their only realistic choice is their insurance offer.

Stick in and keep digging in til your last exam, it'll be even sweeter opening your results paper knowing you've worked your nuts off for it
Original post by JackT95
if you get ABB im sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Possibly even BBB might get you a place.

I hate to come across as the grim reaper but I feel this year there's gunnaa be a lot of heheartbroken students who miss out on their first choice.

I can only speak on behalf of my college but scrapping the january exams have caused so much panic.

Some of my classmates have even resigned to the fact their only realistic choice is their insurance offer.

Stick in and keep digging in til your last exam, it'll be even sweeter opening your results paper knowing you've worked your nuts off for it

Ahh man I agree about the heartbroken students one. I just hope it isn't me crying on results day haha, im sure they won't let me in without my actual offer. I didn't even think about the consequences of no january exams until the june ones came around and I realised I would have had 3 exams. THREE! instead of the ridiculous 10 that I ended up with. It would have been a breeze. Instead i'm stuck here at 1 AM with three to go and no knowledge of any of them at all.
But thanks for the encouragement. I am definitely gonna spend the next ten days revising like mad for biology, and i'm about 20% sure I can get an A!
Ahh man I agree about the heartbroken students one. I just hope it isn't me crying on results day haha, im sure they won't let me in without my actual offer. I didn't even think about the consequences of no january exams until the june ones came around and I realised I would have had 3 exams. THREE! instead of the ridiculous 10 that I ended up with. It would have been a breeze. Instead i'm stuck here at 1 AM with three to go and no knowledge of any of them at all.
But thanks for the encouragement. I am definitely gonna spend the next ten days revising like mad for biology, and i'm about 20% sure I can get an A!

Haha wheres your firm? And insurance?
Would insurance be a nightmare or would you take it now?
Original post by JackT95
Haha wheres your firm? And insurance?
Would insurance be a nightmare or would you take it now?

Lol, i've firmed birmingham and put northumbria as my insurance. There is nothing wrong with northumbria but i have become accustomed to the idea of living in birmingham, and i've been back to visit and i still love it. I would still go to my insurance but i'm not sure how happy about it i'd be.
What have you chosen?
hey guys, I was just wondering since everyone is expecting individual differences to come up as it hasn't come up before, Developmental and Individual Diff. came up in our AS exam last year, would they really bring it again?

Im starting to have a feeling physiological might come up, last come up in the past 3 years or perspectives, cognitive came up this year as well as behaviourist for AS and Developmental and Ind. Diff. last yer for AS. wouldn't they take all that into consideration? And would they reallyyyy bring social up again.

but in general, do people think approaches/perspectives will come up this year as it hasnt for the past 2 years?

thanks.
Early morning revision time! :biggrin:

I honestly don't know why everyone has bothered so much with the approaches and retaught themselves AS ?!? Our teachers said don't even bother unless you're retaking AS!

Can't wait for this exam to be over, it's like the last psychology sprint!
Good luck everyone!!! WE CAN DO IT!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABBIE09
Early morning revision time! :biggrin:

I honestly don't know why everyone has bothered so much with the approaches and retaught themselves AS ?!? Our teachers said don't even bother unless you're retaking AS!

Can't wait for this exam to be over, it's like the last psychology sprint!
Good luck everyone!!! WE CAN DO IT!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have mainly focused on approaches *cries*! but I was retaking core studies anyways.

What's your predictions for this?

& good luck! + Good luck everyone!!
for this issue validity - what are the strengths and weaknesses, and I can literally talk about ANY study and contextualise right?
Original post by rainbow321
I have mainly focused on approaches *cries*! but I was retaking core studies anyways.

What's your predictions for this?

& good luck! + Good luck everyone!!

They was so much to learn though!
I'm sure you'll be fine, just keep calm in the exam :smile:

Pretty sure it will be something like:
A = correlation
B = field experiments/ validity of experiments
Or
A = experiment
B = ethics/ ecological validity :smile:

ETHICS WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUE :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile