The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hi everyone!

i am afraid this is a rather silly question, but i would like to know more about the cleaness of rooms and especially bathrooms in founders. as i am quite frightened of spiders and other insects, i am wondering, are there many of them in founders?:confused:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 21
when you said cleaness i thought u meant are they hygienic :s-smilie:
Reply 22
it's fine, never saw a spider when i was there!
Hey guys,

Founders have a fire alarm test every monday morning, I think around 8am, but you don't have to vacate the building. But if it went off any other time, I guess that's when you don the slippers and the nearest jumper and have a little mid-morning sleepy party outside. I wasn't in Founder's last year, can anyone just back me up on this?

It is in the top 5 most flammable buildings in the UK, and if it was burning down, and Windsor Castle was burning down, Queen and all, they'd have to see to us first! I think the insulation is straw or something :s Bet they were kicking themselves afterwards... 'STRAW?! Who thought THAT would be a good idea!'

Hope that's been of some help.
Reply 24
Every monday morning 8am!? That'd be taking the piss!
Reply 25
Straw and paraffin is what I've heard O_O
Reply 26
For all of you concerned about the Wireless connection, there are a few solutions, some are probably not feasable:

Home Made directional Antenna

You can focus the signal in the direction of the nearest Wireless signal source.

There are some other pages where it explains how to build a parabolic dish out of aluminium foil or big fan grills, and with a USB Wireless adapter focus the whole signal in one direction, Ive tried a couple and theyve done wonders in my house.
iffy14
Every monday morning 8am!? That'd be taking the piss!

Well, all I can say is it's better than burning alive!! Founders is amazing and it's just one of the small sacrifices that you have to make to be lucky enough to live there.
Reply 28
ah im used to fire alarms going off all the time so it'll be fine! plus i'll prbbaly be awake, heading off the the gym..(well I can try..:wink: )

ooh, the fire department would deal with us over Queenie? I feel special now! :biggrin:
Reply 29
8.30 Monday morning.

If the alarm continues longer than 2 minutes then you should evacuate.
The walls are insulated with straw but laced with paraffin to stop rats causing damage.

As far as I know, Founders was number 2 fire risk before Windsor castle burnt down - that was number 1!

Ed
Reply 30
ejbrown

As far as I know, Founders was number 2 fire risk before Windsor castle burnt down - that was number 1!

Ed

lol
Reply 31
From what my friends say, you'll have to get used to the firealarm going off at founders frequently, any time during the day or night.

At kw1 it wasnt so bad. we had a few 3am's.
Knowing me, i'll sleep through them. Bathrooms sound quite icky, my mum was going on at me to take a bottle of bleach to clean the shower everytime before I used it! do we have to clean it or are there cleaners? i'm definately wearing flip flops all the time tho... ne one else here sharing? i really want to see if I can get into contact with the person who i'm sharing with...(if i cant get RHUL to re allocate me... touch wood)
Reply 33
i was gonna take flip flops too! lol. i think there are cleaners who do the halls, but you have to clean your own room
Reply 34
There are cleaners mon-fri and they get cleaned daily. none the less, take flip flops
I'm in Founders East 4th floor.

In my first year I was in West 4th floor.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Founders :smile:
Reply 36
MentalSarcasm
I'm in Founders East 4th floor.

In my first year I was in West 4th floor.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Founders :smile:

Is there any possibility to use wireless internet "inside" founders ?? either east or west.. Or do we have to go to the Computer labs ?
Have to go to the computer labs I'm afraid.
Reply 38
I'm in Founder's somewhere, have no idea who I'm sharing with and I think this was my 4th choice...
So what size rooms do "shared" people get and are they manky??? :smile:
Today RHUL phoned me up.

"There'll be a third person in staying in your room on saturday, on a temporary basis."

Awesome.

Latest

Trending

Trending