The Student Room Group

What happened to Spongebob Squarepants?

I've started to watch Spongebob again during the exams because I thought it would take my mind off of the exams.
Oho could I have been more wrong?
What is up with the EXTREMELY dark tone it has now? Plankton trying to commit suicide with no characters feeling sorry for him, characters getting away with doing bad things, Spongebob just being downright horrible to Squidward and the amount of suicide jokes.. and don't even get me STARTED on the making faces episode.
Is it only me that thinks that the show should just stop?
Original post by HappyHylian
I've started to watch Spongebob again during the exams because I thought it would take my mind off of the exams.
What is up with the EXTREMELY dark tone it has now? Plankton trying to commit suicide with no characters feeling sorry for him, characters getting away with doing bad things, Spongebob just being downright horrible to Squidward and the amount of suicide jokes.. and don't even get me STARTED on the making faces episode.

I haven't watched it in years but would be sad if that was the case. Perhaps it's just you seeing things with an adult's eyes?
Reply 2

Its all about mind control really. Alot of american cartoons and tjat (disney, pixar and nikilodeon etc...)
All do mind control subliminally
ILLUMINATI! :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by blaspame
Its all about mind control really. Alot of american cartoons and tjat (disney, pixar and nikilodeon etc...)
All do mind control subliminally
ILLUMINATI! :wink:

It's not mind control, it's just a little dark XD
Reply 4
It's not mind control, it's just a little dark XD

Well, from the way your describing it sounds like theyre making out as of suicide isnt a bad thing but in fact normal to the point that no one really cares that plankton want to committ suicide
Reply 5
I didn't even realise they were still making episodes.

really? i never watch it anymore since i got a job. but seriously?
Reply 7
Original post by blaspame
Well, from the way your describing it sounds like theyre making out as of suicide isnt a bad thing but in fact normal to the point that no one really cares that plankton want to committ suicide

Yeah, I guess.. it's not just with plankton too, it happened with Squidward in one episode too.
It's gone down hill pretty much recently.

(This is what the wiki says).

One Coarse Meal: "This episode is widely deplored by many fans and critics (including Stephen Hillenburg himself), and is considered one of the worst ever, because Mr. Krabs drove Plankton to suicidal thoughts, Mr. Krabs only got his comeuppance for a few seconds, Karen showed no empathy for Plankton when he was scared and sad, and SpongeBob betrayed Plankton."

Transcript:

Plankton: [crying] What's the point of going on? I'll just be tortured for the rest of my life by that whale! [lies down] That's it. I'm done. The 4: 15 bus should be here any minute, now.

SpongeBob: Okay, see ya.

SpongeBob: Mr. Krabs, I just wanted to let you know that Plankton's lying down on the street—for loin.

Mr. Krabs: Really? He's a mess! [Laughs]

Mr. Krabs: [erases a picture of Plankton] Goodbye, Pipsqueak!

Are you happy now?: This is one of the two episodes to have suicide jokes in it, the other was One Coarse Meal.

Speaking of One Coarse Meal, some of the similarities include:

Suicide jokes

Both episodes have title Cards that could make some viewers cringe/be horrified

Both episodes have very similar amount of hatred from fans of the show

Transcript:

knocks Squidward's door] Why isn't he answering? [looks through Squidward's mail slot] Squidward! Squidward! Now I'm really worried! Squidward! SQUIDWARD! [notices Squidward through the window] Gasp! Squidward! Down here! He's upstairs! [near Squidward's window will sitting on top of Gary; then knocks on the window] Hey! Hey! Squidward![Squidward pulls the blinds down on both windows] Well at least we know that he is still alive. Uh oh...[Gary's shell falls off and SpongeBob lands on the ground; then runs into Squidward's house and Gary's shell cracks off of him] I'm okay Gary!

[b]Squidward: I just can't seem to get happy...[puts his head in oven and takes out burned food]

[b]Squidward: [grabs a rope] I can't seem to get happy...[swings the rope over] Maybe this will help. [pulls on the rope to reveal a scallop in a cage]

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

I've noticed this too. Also they've decided to put a few jokes that could be viewed a bit unsuitable for children. Then again I think most of the nick shows are aimed at young-ish teens now rather than children? like that show victorious... I probably wouldn't have watched it as a kid but I know people that watch it that are aged 14 onwards.
I found it boring after a while... It just stopped being funny. I used to really love Spongebob :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

That's actually really... wow
I feel bad for Plankton lol he may be portrayed as 'evil' but I just think he's a bit misunderstood. Have you read this creepypasta? It's about Squidward's suicide (It's fake btw):smile:
I think it was always dark and a little ****ed up but we didn't notice as kids. Same with courage the cowardly dog. And anyway the movie was canonically the last thing in the spongbob timeline
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Gorwell
That's actually really... wow
I feel bad for Plankton lol he may be portrayed as 'evil' but I just think he's a bit misunderstood. Have you read this creepypasta? It's about Squidward's suicide (It's fake btw):smile:

Hahah yeah, tbh it might be where the new writers got their inspiration. XD
Hahah yeah, tbh it might be where the new writers got their inspiration. XD

You never know! All the older shows are just running out of good storylines now. :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by FrankJaegar
I think it was always dark and a little ****ed up but we didn't notice as kids. Same with courage the cowardly dog. And anyway the movie was canonically the last thing in the spongbob timeline

Spongebob has always been pretty whacky, but never before did the old writers make suicide jokes or jail rape jokes. :l It was funny to see Spongebob get himself into silly situations and when Squidward was being a jerk, him getting his just desserts.
But now Squidward gets tortured when he hasn't even done anything wrong. Like this I found on Youtube.. DX

[video="youtube;yojDSv25aak"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yojDSv25aak[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
You should watch the episode where Patrick and sponge bob raise a baby clam together. That's some weird **** right there :tongue:

I can remmeber when some priest complained sponge bob was turning children gay :lol:
Reply 16
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You should watch the episode where Patrick and sponge bob raise a baby clam together. That's some weird **** right there :tongue:

I can remmeber when some priest complained sponge bob was turning children gay :lol:

Oh I remember that one :smile: I learnt from it though when I was little, that both parents should do an equal amount of work no matter what their gender. :P
Seriously? :s-smilie: I hear people saying that Patrick and Spongebob 'act' gay with eachother, but they're just good friends. D:
I haven't really watched any Spongebob episodes past the movie, and I'm glad, because I keep hearing that the newer ones are terrible. Don't want to ruin the good memories for myself by watching them.
Reply 18
You don't really notice this kind of dark comedy when you're a child. I didn't know was suicide was when I was younger so I'm sure kids now would be too innocent to question plankton's attempt to kill himself.
Yeah, I guess.. it's not just with plankton too, it happened with Squidward in one episode too.
It's gone down hill pretty much recently.

(This is what the wiki says).

One Coarse Meal: "This episode is widely deplored by many fans and critics (including Stephen Hillenburg himself), and is considered one of the worst ever, because Mr. Krabs drove Plankton to suicidal thoughts, Mr. Krabs only got his comeuppance for a few seconds, Karen showed no empathy for Plankton when he was scared and sad, and SpongeBob betrayed Plankton."

Transcript:

Plankton: [crying] What's the point of going on? I'll just be tortured for the rest of my life by that whale! [lies down] That's it. I'm done. The 4: 15 bus should be here any minute, now.

SpongeBob: Okay, see ya.

SpongeBob: Mr. Krabs, I just wanted to let you know that Plankton's lying down on the street—for loin.

Mr. Krabs: Really? He's a mess! [Laughs]

Mr. Krabs: [erases a picture of Plankton] Goodbye, Pipsqueak!

Are you happy now?: This is one of the two episodes to have suicide jokes in it, the other was One Coarse Meal.

Speaking of One Coarse Meal, some of the similarities include:

Suicide jokes

Both episodes have title Cards that could make some viewers cringe/be horrified

Both episodes have very similar amount of hatred from fans of the show

Transcript:

knocks Squidward's door] Why isn't he answering? [looks through Squidward's mail slot] Squidward! Squidward! Now I'm really worried! Squidward! SQUIDWARD! [notices Squidward through the window] Gasp! Squidward! Down here! He's upstairs! [near Squidward's window will sitting on top of Gary; then knocks on the window] Hey! Hey! Squidward![Squidward pulls the blinds down on both windows] Well at least we know that he is still alive. Uh oh...[Gary's shell falls off and SpongeBob lands on the ground; then runs into Squidward's house and Gary's shell cracks off of him] I'm okay Gary!

[b]Squidward: I just can't seem to get happy...[puts his head in oven and takes out burned food]

[b]Squidward: [grabs a rope] I can't seem to get happy...[swings the rope over] Maybe this will help. [pulls on the rope to reveal a scallop in a cage]

Thats just sick man , so bad that they show this to little kids :frown: nasty

Quick Reply

Latest