The Student Room Group

Too late to go into dentistry?

I'm 23 years old and I have already completed a degree in Modern Languages where I achieved a 2:1. I've always wanted to be a language teacher but after working in a school for a year I feel that it's not for me.
I have a strong academic background with straight A*s and As at GCSE and straight A's at A level. I was equally strong in sciences and humanities but I chose the humanities path for A Levels.
I want a stable job with a good income where I am self employed and dentistry seems to fit that. I am genuinely interested in human body and I enjoyed studying biology and chemistry at GCSE.
The only problem is the time it will take, 7 years in total as it will take 2 years to get the relevant A Levels. Obviously I will need to do work experience to make sure its the right path for me. Do you think this is possible and is it worth the years of study, loans and having little money?
Reply 1
Original post by Teresa0212
I'm 23 years old and I have already completed a degree in Modern Languages where I achieved a 2:1. I've always wanted to be a language teacher but after working in a school for a year I feel that it's not for me.
I have a strong academic background with straight A*s and As at GCSE and straight A's at A level. I was equally strong in sciences and humanities but I chose the humanities path for A Levels.
I want a stable job with a good income where I am self employed and dentistry seems to fit that. I am genuinely interested in human body and I enjoyed studying biology and chemistry at GCSE.
The only problem is the time it will take, 7 years in total as it will take 2 years to get the relevant A Levels. Obviously I will need to do work experience to make sure its the right path for me. Do you think this is possible and is it worth the years of study, loans and having little money?

I think a few unis do access courses for those without relevant a levels and or degree - but im not 100% sure. Its worth it if you like the job, even if the pay/stability is good.
Just a question though, why on earth did you do a modern languages degree? surely you knew you would have this problem?

As you have already acknowledged you need to do some work experience in dentistry ASAP.
In my opinion you should only pursue dentistry if you a mega passionate about dentistry because of the huge sacrifices you will have to make to qualify.
First of all you will have to study for A levels, probably alongside immature students and try and find a way to support yourself. Then there is no guarantee you will secure a place at dental school because it is so competitive. On top of this, as well as spending another 5 years at Uni (with cost implications). On top of that you then need to do your vocational foundation year.
What I say now, some will find outrageous but I think it is a valid point.
Your user name suggests you are female and you may want to have a family one day. You would qualify by the age of 31 then need to work a few years to get more practical experience and get your work speed up and get established. Therefore it may be impractical to start a family until your late 30's.
Like I said - only go for it if you are really passionate about dentistry and are a highly driven person.
Reply 3

I started the exact same process at 23.
I'm starting the same process now aged 23 with a 1st class degree in Education do it... and whoever said, you;re a girl what about a family etc. how do they know you even want one and what world is this where women cat have a family and work at the same time. If anything dentistry is prefect for that. Don't listen - go for it and you can do an Access Course rather than A levels ( will take 1 year) Manchester college do a good one.

Original post by Bonzo10
I started the exact same process at 23.

Quick Reply

Latest