The Student Room Group

Celtic in the Premier League

How big do you think Celtic would be with the revenue streams and the potential fanbase they would attract.

Guessing they would be borderline Champions League given time, and certainly ahead of the the likes of Spurs/Everton.

Baffled why they havent taken the leap, with Rangers in the lower divisions. End of the day, the SPL is dead and eventually something will give imo
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't watch Scottish football, so I don't really know how good Celtic is. The only time I have watched them is in the Champion's league. Could someone explain to me how Rangers got in the lower divisions - I though that together with Celtic they were the two biggest teams in the SPL.
Can only be a Scottish pride thing, the horror of having to join an English league. Would make sense to just just be in the PL like the two Welsh clubs were this season, and all the money and funding for youth football that goes with it.
This was attempted with Rangers and Celtic before. They concluded it was unworkable due to the travelling costs of the supporters. Celtic supporters would be paying so much money to travel to each and every match. It would also be more difficult for a lot of away supporters to travel to Glasgow because of the distances involved. In short, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Furthermore, it would destroy what remains of Scottish football. It would essentially leave it as relevant as the Welsh and Irish leagues.

Anyway, you would also need the approval of the Premier League clubs. Why would the Premier League clubs want another major competitor for the top places?
Reply 4
Original post by Genocidal
This was attempted with Rangers and Celtic before. They concluded it was unworkable due to the travelling costs of the supporters. Celtic supporters would be paying so much money to travel to each and every match. It would also be more difficult for a lot of away supporters to travel to Glasgow because of the distances involved. In short, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Furthermore, it would destroy what remains of Scottish football. It would essentially leave it as relevant as the Welsh and Irish leagues.

Anyway, you would also need the approval of the Premier League clubs. Why would the Premier League clubs want another major competitor for the top places?

If I was a Celtic fan, I would prefer to make a few trips to Machester/London rather than 38 to Motherwell. It's well known that Celtic Park only really gets excited for CL nights, and for good reason. How long can the SPL continue like it is?

Why is it better for Inverness/Dundee/etc to be nowhere in the SPL rather than in League 1?
(edited 9 years ago)
Celtic in the champions league are quite poor apart from when they got through to the knockout stages one time.

It's impractical but I reckon 7/8th place for them.

SPL is so crap.....especially since rangers got smashed down...

I've never heard this and it seems wildly improbable when travelling support is so tiny an element of revenue and the interests of travelling supporters so little considered by most clubs. And Glasgow is hardly remote, certainly no more so than Exeter, which asks its travelling support to follow a less attractive brand of football. France is much larger geographically and manages to support a national league. Turin to Sicily is a longer and more logistically complicated trip than is Glasgow to London, never mind Glasgow to the north, which is where half (i.e. 9) of the away games would be played...

Possibly this was a more palatable press release than would have been "we enjoy domestic hegemony and the guarantee of Europe year in year out".
Original post by Zürich
If I was a Celtic fan, I would prefer to make a few trips to Machester/London rather than 38 to Motherwell. It's well known that Celtic Park only really gets excited for CL nights, and for good reason. How long can the SPL continue like it is?

Why is it better for Inverness/Dundee/etc to be nowhere in the SPL rather than in League 1?

The problem is you're looking at it from a Scottish point of view here. The English couldn't give a rat's ass about the teams in the SPL/SFL. And those are the opinions that matter, I'm afraid.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I've never heard this and it seems wildly improbable when travelling support is so tiny an element of revenue and the interests of travelling supporters so little considered by most clubs. And Glasgow is hardly remote, certainly no more so than Exeter, which asks its travelling support to follow a less attractive brand of football. France is much larger geographically and manages to support a national league. Turin to Sicily is a longer and more logistically complicated trip than is Glasgow to London, never mind Glasgow to the north, which is where half (i.e. 9) of the away games would be played...

Possibly this was a more palatable press release than would have been "we enjoy domestic hegemony and the guarantee of Europe year in year out".

France is bigger, but I don't know why they could support it but we couldn't. It's the same conundrum as why they have really cheap train fares, yet travel hundreds of miles further than our trains.

It's just a part of the argument though. The biggest issue is the whole challenging for European places thing. The Premier League clubs wouldn't want another 'big' club challenging for European places in their league, so they would always block it. The trade-off in revenue associated with bringing the top Scottish clubs into the league isn't worth it.
Reply 9
Original post by Zürich
How big do you think Celtic would be with the revenue streams and the potential fanbase they would attract.

Guessing they would be borderline Champions League given time, and certainly ahead of the the likes of Spurs/Everton.

Baffled why they havent taken the leap, with Rangers in the lower divisions. End of the day, the SPL is dead and eventually something will give imo

Why would England want them? That's the main reason. I'm sure if they got offered to go in the English Prem next season they'd take it in a heartbeat. It's not to do with them, it's to do with the English teams. Also, the Scottish Premiership (no longer the SPL) is a very good, competitive league, outside Celtic. I'd be delighted if Celtic (and Rangers) left, so we could get on with our league.

Original post by ZeroShun
I don't watch Scottish football, so I don't really know how good Celtic is. The only time I have watched them is in the Champion's league. Could someone explain to me how Rangers got in the lower divisions - I though that together with Celtic they were the two biggest teams in the SPL.

Rangers went out of business and started a new club in the bottom tier also called Rangers. It's essentially a reincarnation of the old Rangers.
Reply 10
The problem is you're looking at it from a Scottish point of view here. The English couldn't give a rat's ass about the teams in the SPL/SFL. And those are the opinions that matter, I'm afraid.

The SPL and SFL don't exist anymore. It's now the SPFL.
Original post by Mechie
The SPL and SFL don't exist anymore. It's now the SPFL.

Well they can call it what they bloody like. Their football is still ****.
Reply 12
Well they can call it what they bloody like. Their football is still ****.

Scottish football is actually not bad. Too many people dismiss it because it's not just a bunch of overpaid prima donnas. It's real football.
Reply 13
Original post by Mechie
Why would England want them? That's the main reason. I'm sure if they got offered to go in the English Prem next season they'd take it in a heartbeat. It's not to do with them, it's to do with the English teams. Also, the Scottish Premiership (no longer the SPL) is a very good, competitive league, outside Celtic. I'd be delighted if Celtic (and Rangers) left, so we could get on with our league.

They'd have to join the conference I think, but the clubs themself would not make the decision IIRC

The rest of the Scottish teams should just join England as well, doesnt make any sense for Scotland to have it's own League. And without the old firm, it would be Welsh League standard basically
Reply 14
Original post by Zürich
They'd have to join the conference I think, but the clubs themself would not make the decision IIRC

The rest of the Scottish teams should just join England as well, doesnt make any sense for Scotland to have it's own League. And without the old firm, it would be Welsh League standard basically

They'd have to apply to start at the very bottom tier, it wouldn't exactly be fair for a new team in the league system to start ahead of other teams that have worked to get in the position that they are.

One of the heads of the Scottish game predicted an "armageddon" if Rangers weren't in the top flight. Didn't happen, attendances actually marginally rose. Scotland has one of, if not the, highest attendance at football per capita, in Europe. The last game of the season this season was Motherwell v Aberdeen. That game decided who would come second. Can you imagine if we'd got rid of Celtic? That match would have been totally stowed, for a title decider. I'm pretty confident that there is sufficient interest in Scottish football outside of two teams who feed off each others religious bigotry, thanks.
Reply 15
Original post by Mechie
They'd have to apply to start at the very bottom tier, it wouldn't exactly be fair for a new team in the league system to start ahead of other teams that have worked to get in the position that they are.

One of the heads of the Scottish game predicted an "armageddon" if Rangers weren't in the top flight. Didn't happen, attendances actually marginally rose. Scotland has one of, if not the, highest attendance at football per capita, in Europe. The last game of the season this season was Motherwell v Aberdeen. That game decided who would come second. Can you imagine if we'd got rid of Celtic? That match would have been totally stowed, for a title decider. I'm pretty confident that there is sufficient interest in Scottish football outside of two teams who feed off each others religious bigotry, thanks.

Tbh, the bigotry makes Scottish football at least interesting. The only time I watched Scottish futbaw was around 2002 when they'd be on before/after the PL games. Remember seeing old Irish guys ranting about random **** in the pubs, jokes
Reply 16
Original post by Zürich
Tbh, the bigotry makes Scottish football at least interesting. The only time I watched Scottish futbaw was around 2002 when they'd be on before/after the PL games. Remember seeing old Irish guys ranting about random **** in the pubs, jokes

So if you've only watched Scottish football for a bit 12 years ago then why are you telling me that Scottish football could barely survive without the Old Firm? You've all but admitted that you know nothing about Scottish football, so why are you giving unfounded theories about it?

If you think that the vile bigotry is "interesting" then that's up to you, and I'm sure the bigots agree with you. I just don't think that it has any place in football, certainly, and for wider society.
Reply 17
Original post by Mechie
So if you've only watched Scottish football for a bit 12 years ago then why are you telling me that Scottish football could barely survive without the Old Firm? You've all but admitted that you know nothing about Scottish football, so why are you giving unfounded theories about it?

If you think that the vile bigotry is "interesting" then that's up to you, and I'm sure the bigots agree with you. I just don't think that it has any place in football, certainly, and for wider society.

Yea but Scotch people are just a bit lairy generally. The Old Firm is a release valve, otherwise there'd just be punchups down the dole office every week

End of the day, Scotland should just send the best looking redheads and managers down to England for a better life, and get on with the bigotry and Tennants Super.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Zürich
Yea but Scotch people are just a bit lairy generally. The Old Firm is a release valve, otherwise there'd just be punchups down the dole office every week

Well, this is clearly getting nowhere. Goodbye.
Original post by Mechie
Scottish football is actually not bad. Too many people dismiss it because it's not just a bunch of overpaid prima donnas. It's real football.

I've seen a few games this season. It's crap. Any league where there's a guaranteed winner can't pretend it's anything but crap.

Quick Reply

Latest