The Student Room Group

On paper, the Brazilian midfield is underwhelming.

Obviously they have good players. But, it is all a bit meh compared to old Brazilian sides (well, pre 2002).
Reply 1
I disagree somewhat, they perhaps lack the flair of the past but they are still not underwhelming, they are just good in other aspects.

I think Scolari plays a 4-3-3

GK - Cesar
RB - Alves
CB - Silva
CB - Dante / Luiz
LB - Marcelo

CDM - Fernandinho / Ramires / Gustavo
CM - Oscar
CM - Hernanes / Willian

LW - Neymar
CF - Fred
RW - Hulk

Thats still one of the better midfields of the tournament, albeit they lack the flair of the past but this midfield is more dynamic and in modern football is still a very good midfield. Maybe you haven't seen how good Hernanes or Gustavo are?

Willian and Oscar are still exciting players to have, as in they have flair and can beat a man and score amazing goals. So its not as bad as you make it sound. Nobodies ever gonna match the teams of the past like in Pele's era nor the 2002 of Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Silva etc although the latter team did have Kleberson :wink:
What happened to Ganso? Neymar and Ganso being hyped back in 2011, one needs no introduction but the other lad was tipped as the successor to Kaka and it seems like he's just vanished?
Imagine...
German goalkeeper + Brazillian defence + Spanish midfield + Argentine attack
Reply 4
Original post by tazarooni89
Imagine...
German goalkeeper + Brazillian defence + Spanish midfield + Argentine attack

Yes, it really is quite bizarre how the main strength of the Brazilian team these days (in terms of personnel) lies in their defence.
Original post by C.Almasy
Obviously they have good players. But, it is all a bit meh compared to old Brazilian sides (well, pre 2002).

Brazil are definitely the most overrated team ate World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they seemed to manage at the confed cup and do have the advantage of home soil.
Original post by Excuse Me!
Well they seemed to manage at the confed cup and do have the advantage of home soil.

And those are the reasons that people are picking them to win. Their whole team is out of form players pretty much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And those are the reasons that people are picking them to win. Their whole team is out of form players pretty much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they'll win but I wouldn't write them off. The defence are in good form, Willian and Oscar had good seasons and obviously Neymar is their 'golden boy' so to speak. They have a strong team imo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find them a bit like Germany in 2002. Good team that can probably get to the final but nothing special, certainly not good enough to be a classic Brazilian side. They have regressed in recent years.
Original post by Excuse Me!
I don't think they'll win but I wouldn't write them off. The defence are in good form, Willian and Oscar had good seasons and obviously Neymar is their 'golden boy' so to speak. They have a strong team imo.

Oscar hardly had a good season. Neumann is in poor form as are Julio cesar, hulk and paulinho. David luiz has hardly played. This is a shadow of the team they were last summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oscar hardly had a good season. Neumann is in poor form as are Julio cesar, hulk and paulinho. David luiz has hardly played. This is a shadow of the team they were last summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who?
Original post by Wilfred Little
What happened to Ganso? Neymar and Ganso being hyped back in 2011, one needs no introduction but the other lad was tipped as the successor to Kaka and it seems like he's just vanished?

Ganso has had a pretty bad time with injuries over the last 3 seasons which set back his development a fair bit, but he also seems to have had major problems with his attitude and has repeatedly failed to take chances when given to him. Was playing OK at Santos back in the 2011/12 season but then fell out with the clubs management and transferred to Sao Paulo, where he was underwhelming for the first year and a half before falling out with the clubs management (spotting a pattern here?) and being dropped to the reserves.

Essentially he was like a hell of a lot of other Brazilian youngsters, looked amazing when playing in the Brazilian leagues where the overall standard is pretty poor, but failed to develop as well as people predicted, struggled with his attitude to the game and failed to live up to the hype.

Quick Reply

Latest