The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orrrange3
You must be at your AC now! Good luck and let us know how you get on :smile:

Original post by redpaintednails
Good luck with your AC tomorrow! Just go with whatever you feel happiest and most comfortable with. Let us know how it goes!

Original post by chester.
There is nothing wrong with a 'typical' lesson. As long as you have your starter, main and plenary, the lesson is somewhat interactive and you handle the 'children' then you'll be fine. I found it the most enjoyable part of the day, so try not to stress and try to behave as you would in a real classroom setting. Best of luck! :biggrin:

Thank you all for your advice! The AC was more enjoyable than I had thought it would be, they were all so lovely. Unfortunately, I think my lesson was my downfall, I was unable to get more than half-way through it due to the distractions and the general slow responses.... I don't think I will get an offer, but I wanted a deferred offer anyway, so I will apply again. Hopefully, with the experience of this year, next year might come more easily!

Best of luck with your applications everyone! Good luck at the AC especially, they make you feel really comfortable and at ease, so there is nothing to worry about. :smile:
Hey folks,

My other half has an AC next Monday (1st Sep) and should receive the email with lesson titles any time, but as it's a bank holiday is it likely to arrive today? Getting antsy as he is free all day today, but has work the rest of the week.
Thanks guys
Original post by chester.
Hey folks,

My other half has an AC next Monday (1st Sep) and should receive the email with lesson titles any time, but as it's a bank holiday is it likely to arrive today? Getting antsy as he is free all day today, but has work the rest of the week.
Thanks guys

hey, my graduate recruiter said we should get the emails at 2pm the week before the AC so it seems unlikely that your other half will get the email today. Perhaps it's worth them contacting their recruiter just in case?
hey, my graduate recruiter said we should get the emails at 2pm the week before the AC so it seems unlikely that your other half will get the email today. Perhaps it's worth them contacting their recruiter just in case?

Thanks. Emails have been met with the 'out of office' response. :frown:
Not cool.
Got an offer this morning! :biggrin: Over the moon right now. Thank you to all the posters on this thread, your comments have been so helpful!
Just got my email with lesson titles.

I'm hoping to teach primary, but there aren't any primary lesson topics which reflect my degree/A-levels, and we were told to pick a lesson which best reflects these. Do you think I should do a secondary school lesson instead?
Original post by themoldypeaches
Got an offer this morning! :biggrin: Over the moon right now. Thank you to all the posters on this thread, your comments have been so helpful!

Ahh, well done!

I'm getting ridiculously nervous for mine.

Do you have any general tips?

I'm hoping to teach primary, but there aren't any primary lesson topics which reflect my degree/A-levels, and we were told to pick a lesson which best reflects these. Do you think I should do a secondary school lesson instead?

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to match a lesson with A-Levels/degree etc. I did Maths, Biology and Physics for A-Level and then did a Philosophy degree, but chose to do a spelling rule for my lesson. Just go with whatever you feel you could do best. :biggrin:
Ahh, well done!

I'm getting ridiculously nervous for mine.

Do you have any general tips?

Thank you! Remember to look over your application answers and have them in your head, think up some more answers demonstrating each competency. Have a lesson that is creative and engaging, and it would help if you can stop the main activity at any time and quickly move to your evaluation. I did not get half way through my lesson, nor did I get to my evaluation, as long as you are self-reflective in your write-up, it will be okay. The important thing is how you engage with your pupils I think. During the group discussion, do not be over-bearing, but be heard. MOST OF ALL: Relax. Seriously, it was an enjoyable day, the people who run it have gone through their own AC days, they make you feel at home. They want to see your personality. They make clear that the other candidates attending are not competing against you- so you should all feel like a team tbh. They provide lunch, sofas, tea, and posh toilets that are worth a visit to- it will not feel like a long assessment but an activity day.

Best of luck!!!
Reply 389

If you want to teach Primary, choose the lesson from the list of primary ones that you feel most comfortable with, without worrying about your degree and A-levels. If you really want to teach primary, it seems only logical that you show them a sample of you teaching a primary topic. I got an offer for primary, and even though my degree is in English, I taught a science lesson at the AC, only because I could think of a good activity to do for the science lesson, and had no idea how I'd teach the English ones in 7 minutes. I don't think it matters, pick the lesson you're the most comfortable with and the one you want to do the most.

Generally during the day, try and relax as much as possible. Your application obviously showed something they were looking for, seeing as they invited you to the AC, so the only thing left to do is show the best of yourself. Think of examples where you've shown all of the competencies and keep them in the back of your mind for the interview, as you will be asked to give examples of different things. They aren't there to make you feel uncomfortable, everyone at the AC genuinely wants you to do well, so try not to worry too much.

Good luck!
I am really worried about the numeracy QTS test, maths has always been tough for me and I'm afraid it will lose me my offer. :frown:

I want to do the test with plenty of time to be able to schedule a retake, but the 4 week deadline means I will be cutting it fine. I have a month from today to get it sorted and my SKA to do too; can I risk doing my numeracy test in 3 weeks time (giving myself a week to book a retake)? Or is it unlikely that I will be able to book a retake within a week anyway? I live in London. I'm am so worried about this. I got a B at GCSE maths and I am fantastic at statistics- but rubbish at mental arithmetic. It took me a lot of effort to get that grade and I am afraid I won't have enough time to brush up. Has anyone else been in this situation? Thanks!
Does anyone know the type of questions asked in the interview for the 4 competency areas that aren't assessed in the online application. Just get really nervous in interviews and want to be as prepared as possible!
Reply 392
I am really worried about the numeracy QTS test, maths has always been tough for me and I'm afraid it will lose me my offer. :frown:

I want to do the test with plenty of time to be able to schedule a retake, but the 4 week deadline means I will be cutting it fine. I have a month from today to get it sorted and my SKA to do too; can I risk doing my numeracy test in 3 weeks time (giving myself a week to book a retake)? Or is it unlikely that I will be able to book a retake within a week anyway? I live in London. I'm am so worried about this. I got a B at GCSE maths and I am fantastic at statistics- but rubbish at mental arithmetic. It took me a lot of effort to get that grade and I am afraid I won't have enough time to brush up. Has anyone else been in this situation? Thanks!

You don't need to worry about getting the retake in within the four week deadline. I was in exactly the same position as you, but I spoke to my recruiter and she said as long as I keep them informed they won't worry about it if you have to resit outside the four weeks. I found it really hard to find a centre in London with availability anyway! Good luck, I was so worried about it but managed to pass first time, use the practice tests and the bbc bitesize resources, I found them really useful.
Reply 393
I am getting so frustrated ...

I had my AC a month ago now, I got through but they still haven't given me a date for my music AC. A WHOLE MONTH I've been waiting! I could have done my QTS tests and CKA by now and be all done with! Plus I'm going back to work in a few weeks so I'll have less time.

I'm so frustrated and upset :frown:

Sorry just needed to rant:frown:
Reply 394

I was worried about mine too, since I had always had a calculator for any mental arithmetic since I was 12, so I hadn't had to use my brain for calculations in a really long time. I used the Mark Patmore 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test' book, and basically started at the beginning and worked through the entire book. It had practice mental arithmetic questions, where you can get a family member/friend to read out the question twice and then start the 18 second timer, which helped me a lot.

I'd save the online practice tests until the end, focus on practicing using other resources first before going for the actual test, because if you do them too many times you'll start remembering the questions. The four days before my actual test I did one online practice test a night, and made sure I went through every single mistake I made to analyse what I did wrong.

Before I started practicing I failed the first online test miserably, but the day before my test I was getting 90%, and then the real thing was really easy. So it's nothing to worry about, just use all of the available resources and practice every day, and you'll be fine.

Teach First seem to be flexible on the deadlines too, I needed a month's extension for mine because I was going to be out of the country, and they told me it wasn't a problem at all and to just send them my registration number once I'd passed them.
Has anyone had their lesson titles for 3rd September yet?
Original post by emmakh123
Has anyone had their lesson titles for 3rd September yet?

Still waiting on mine as well! Nice to know I am not the only one still waiting as I was starting to panic. Although it is only just gone midday!
Original post by 02parsim
Still waiting on mine as well! Nice to know I am not the only one still waiting as I was starting to panic. Although it is only just gone midday!

Someone said its supposed to come by 2pm. Its a bit offputting when you dont know if they received your email confirming your place either. What times your AC? Mines 9.15am.
Original post by emmakh123
Someone said its supposed to come by 2pm. Its a bit offputting when you dont know if they received your email confirming your place either. What times your AC? Mines 9.15am.

Mine is at 10am. I imagine I will start panicking about it a bit more when I have seen the lessons!
Original post by 02parsim
Mine is at 10am. I imagine I will start panicking about it a bit more when I have seen the lessons!

Whats your subject preference? Mines Primary.

Latest

Trending

Trending