The Student Room Group

Postgraduate - Class Sizes

I've been accepted to study Data Science at postgraduate level starting in September. I'm just curious as to what the typical postgraduate class size is?

My class size in my undergraduate program was fairly small, so just wondering whether I should expect it to be even smaller or around the same size.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ElevatingEagerly
I've been accepted to study Data Science at postgraduate level starting in September. I'm just curious as to what the typical postgraduate class size is?

My class size in my undergraduate program was fairly small, so just wondering whether I should expect it to be even smaller or around the same size.

Hi @ElevatingEagerly,

It's difficult to give an estimate because it can vary very widely, both from university to university and depending on programme of study. As a (very) general rule of thumb, postgraduate classes tend to be a little smaller than undergraduate classes but, as I say, that can vary.

As an example, there were 11 of us in my MA cohort (English Literature). However we shared some classes (such as a Research Skills module) with other Humanities students so my class sizes varied from between 5/6 students to maybe 30/40 students, depending on the module.

One thing you probably can expect is more one-to-one time, especially if you have a dissertation or final project component on your course. I usually met with my MA dissertation supervisor every few weeks, especially during the latter stages of the course.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Amy Louise
PhD English Literature & Student Ambassador, Keele University
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ElevatingEagerly

Hey!
Congrats on getting accepted into the Data Science postgraduate program starting in September! To be honest, class size can vary quite a bit depending on the program and the university. Speaking from my own experience as a design management student, our lectures typically have around 150 students, while our seminars have around 25 students. However, I know that there are other courses at my university where class sizes can be as low as 15 or as high as 250 students.

That being said, for postgraduate programs like Data Science, you might expect the class sizes to be smaller than in undergraduate programs. This is because postgraduate programs tend to be more specialized, and therefore attract a smaller cohort of students. However, this can vary depending on the popularity of the program and the size of the university.

Overall, I would say that class size is just one factor to consider when choosing a postgraduate program. The quality of the teaching, the curriculum, and the resources available are all important factors to consider as well. I hope this helps!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!
Congrats on getting accepted into the Data Science postgraduate program starting in September! To be honest, class size can vary quite a bit depending on the program and the university. Speaking from my own experience as a design management student, our lectures typically have around 150 students, while our seminars have around 25 students. However, I know that there are other courses at my university where class sizes can be as low as 15 or as high as 250 students.

That being said, for postgraduate programs like Data Science, you might expect the class sizes to be smaller than in undergraduate programs. This is because postgraduate programs tend to be more specialized, and therefore attract a smaller cohort of students. However, this can vary depending on the popularity of the program and the size of the university.

Overall, I would say that class size is just one factor to consider when choosing a postgraduate program. The quality of the teaching, the curriculum, and the resources available are all important factors to consider as well. I hope this helps!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Hi Priya,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!

I studied IT Management for Business at undergrad level. Lectures could be fairly big, probably between 50 and 100 students. However, most of my seminars only had around 10-15 people in them.

I’d like to think it won’t just be about 3 people (myself included) in the seminars in my postgrad course. The education is what I’ve signed up to the course for, however I’d like to be in there with a decent amount of people (more than one can count on one hand 😂)

Again, thank you for your response.
Best Wishes
Brad 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending