The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Hi, I've got my assessment centre on thursday and wondered if anyone had any advice on the lesson part of the day?
Am I supposed to teach for the whole 7 minutes or should I just teach a little bit and then set a task like a worksheet for the majority of the time?
I'm a bit confused about the whole thing :s-smilie:
Original post by nicki-baker
I got the offer !! Thanks for all your help! Now to start the cka and qts!

Well done! How did you find the day? I did my CKA the other day, its a bit challenging but I think its ok if you do it in bits. Passed my English professional skills tests last week got the Maths one at the end of the month! Dreading it
Original post by hw25
Hi, I've got my assessment centre on thursday and wondered if anyone had any advice on the lesson part of the day?
Am I supposed to teach for the whole 7 minutes or should I just teach a little bit and then set a task like a worksheet for the majority of the time?
I'm a bit confused about the whole thing :s-smilie:

I think you end up teaching for about 5 minutes really, once you factor in any potential disruptions and things. I aimed to teach for about five minutes and then just had a really short worksheet at the end
Original post by Chloe555
Well done! How did you find the day? I did my CKA the other day, its a bit challenging but I think its ok if you do it in bits. Passed my English professional skills tests last week got the Maths one at the end of the month! Dreading it

Yeah the day was not bad! Hated the on he spot questions at the end of the case study though! And yeah the cka looks ok, I've read through it but not started yet and ok thinking about how much reading I should do about the curriculum for it. Well done on passing the literacy! I've booked mine both for the 20tj of November, I seriously can't do he numeracy :frown: really panicking
Yeah the day was not bad! Hated the on he spot questions at the end of the case study though! And yeah the cka looks ok, I've read through it but not started yet and ok thinking about how much reading I should do about the curriculum for it. Well done on passing the literacy! I've booked mine both for the 20tj of November, I seriously can't do he numeracy :frown: really panicking

Yeah I found the self-evaluation bits of the day the trickiest. I just read through the bits of the curriculum which looked relevant but not sure if that 100% right because I haven't had my CKA back yet. Thank you :smile: Good luck for you too! Don't know if you know but they've taken the punctuation section out of the Literacy test, until the beginning of December I think. Yeah I really am struggling with the numeracy :/ got an extension till the end of November so really need to book it but I'm terrified! I've always been a bit more rubbish at it. So hard when got so much stuff due in for uni atm too!
Do they ask for references at the end of the application form or at a later date?Got my academic one fine but struggling for another. I've had quite a few jobs but they were over a year ago and management was quite a quick turn around so I have no idea where I'dbe able to get hold of him!
Original post by tillytots
Do they ask for references at the end of the application form or at a later date?Got my academic one fine but struggling for another. I've had quite a few jobs but they were over a year ago and management was quite a quick turn around so I have no idea where I'dbe able to get hold of him!

They ask once you've been given an offer. They only ask for one, an academic one if your still at uni or left within a specific time frame (Think it might be three years), after that its from your manager etc. You have to send them the details of your reference then they contact them and have to provide the reference within two weeks otherwise you have to put forward another reference
They ask once you've been given an offer. They only ask for one, an academic one if your still at uni or left within a specific time frame (Think it might be three years), after that its from your manager etc. You have to send them the details of your reference then they contact them and have to provide the reference within two weeks otherwise you have to put forward another reference

I've booked it for the 28th Ahh. Mins being taken over by learn direct though from the 1st December, hope the format of the test is still the same :/
Yeah I found the self-evaluation bits of the day the trickiest. I just read through the bits of the curriculum which looked relevant but not sure if that 100% right because I haven't had my CKA back yet. Thank you :smile: Good luck for you too! Don't know if you know but they've taken the punctuation section out of the Literacy test, until the beginning of December I think. Yeah I really am struggling with the numeracy :/ got an extension till the end of November so really need to book it but I'm terrified! I've always been a bit more rubbish at it. So hard when got so much stuff due in for uni atm too!

That's exactly how i feel, so much uni work and gota do this too, feeling a bit stressed! was it hard to get an extention and how did you do that? if i am not feeling confident by middle of november i might ask for one! oh they took it out? how come? thats good i suppose. I read its pretty hard to fail a CKA so i hope that true
That's exactly how i feel, so much uni work and gota do this too, feeling a bit stressed! was it hard to get an extention and how did you do that? if i am not feeling confident by middle of november i might ask for one! oh they took it out? how come? thats good i suppose. I read its pretty hard to fail a CKA so i hope that true

Yeah I know it's horrible! I'm so behind on everything but will catch up eventually I'm sure! What university are you at? I just emailed recruitment and explained about my workload and everything and got an extension from the middle of November till the end. Yeah I think it is, I think if there's any problems they mainly send it back to you for changes, I've done two CKA's one for primary and early years, their both pretty similar though. Whats region are you hoping for?
Yeah I know it's horrible! I'm so behind on everything but will catch up eventually I'm sure! What university are you at? I just emailed recruitment and explained about my workload and everything and got an extension from the middle of November till the end. Yeah I think it is, I think if there's any problems they mainly send it back to you for changes, I've done two CKA's one for primary and early years, their both pretty similar though. Whats region are you hoping for?

Oh right, cool thanks! I go to uni at Nottingham what about you ?
I chose 1) east mids (cos of Nottingham) 2) London (closer to home) and 3) West Midlands .., what about you
Starting my online application today, very nervous about getting this part right.
Oh right, cool thanks! I go to uni at Nottingham what about you ?
I chose 1) east mids (cos of Nottingham) 2) London (closer to home) and 3) West Midlands .., what about you

I'm at Kent University, in Canterbury. I choose 1) the South East, obviously because of uni and my boyfriends got a good job down here so I couldn't really expect him to move away with me for two years lol and 2) London, because some parts of it will be within commuting distance so I can stay where I'm living haha!
Hi, I'm just wondering whether anyone's been allocated their regions yet? And if they've got the ones they wanted? :smile:
I got an offer on Wednesday, just wondering whether there is any way that they would defer the offer for a year?
Original post by wannabe_sherlock
I got an offer on Wednesday, just wondering whether there is any way that they would defer the offer for a year?

Hey, congratulations! Yes I'm pretty sure you can defer. You'd probably need to email recruitment or maybe speak to your graduate recruiter?
Hey, congratulations! Yes I'm pretty sure you can defer. You'd probably need to email recruitment or maybe speak to your graduate recruiter?

Awesome, I emailed her yesterday so will hopefully get a reply tomorrow then! Thanks!
Hi everyone,

I've been accepted for English for the 2015 cohort (finally had my CKA accepted so fully enrolled) but I am really anxious about where I might be placed... so I was thinking I might apply for School Direct salaried in an area close to where I am now. Does anyone know if once you've accepted the TF offer you can still do this? Or any advice about the regions TF gives you?

Sorry if this sounds selfish but I really want to be a teacher and have lots of school experience so it's hard to make a decision about which path to take! :s-smilie:
Original post by coolitman
Hi everyone,

I've been accepted for English for the 2015 cohort (finally had my CKA accepted so fully enrolled) but I am really anxious about where I might be placed... so I was thinking I might apply for School Direct salaried in an area close to where I am now. Does anyone know if once you've accepted the TF offer you can still do this? Or any advice about the regions TF gives you?

Sorry if this sounds selfish but I really want to be a teacher and have lots of school experience so it's hard to make a decision about which path to take! :s-smilie:

Hi! I'm in exactly the same situation, I've done lots of work experience and want to be a teacher so much but can't really move out of the South East! I have been told that you cannot apply for another route once you have accepted a place on TF. But I've also been told that you should know your region by January, maybe sooner for you if you're CKA has already been accepted? Therefore, if you find out in January you would probably still have time to apply for another route.
Hi! I'm in exactly the same situation, I've done lots of work experience and want to be a teacher so much but can't really move out of the South East! I have been told that you cannot apply for another route once you have accepted a place on TF. But I've also been told that you should know your region by January, maybe sooner for you if you're CKA has already been accepted? Therefore, if you find out in January you would probably still have time to apply for another route.

So glad to know I'm not the only one! I didn't realise you find out as early as January, I'd heard it was more around March/April by which time it would be a pretty last minute application for School Direct :\ Have you already been accepted for Teach First?

And does anyone else know when you find out your region?

Thanks for the advice!

Latest

Trending

Trending