The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinkerz
We do so much community medicine as part of our curriculum (I'm talking 23 weeks of G.P., incl. 15 in final year), I'm quite disappointed at the prospect of more enforced for foundation.

That's insane. We have 1 day a week in 3rd year and a 4 week block in 5th year, plus the odd afternoon here and there in pre-clin. Probably works out to about 12 weeks total.

15 in one year is a total joke, and i really enjoy GP placements.
Original post by Kinkerz
This is a depressingly lucid point :sigh:

Feel so much less secure about exams this year than in previous years.

Dude, this is the one year there's genuinely a real chance of failing. I know so many very able students who breezed through each year and then failed this year when they got to it.

It's the OSCE and Data Interpretation I'm petrified of (most people pass the written paper). Literally ANYTHING could come up. :/
Original post by carcinoma
I thought we had a lot, 15 weeks over the whole course (6 in year 5, 3 in yr 4, 3 in year 3)

Plus we have 2 weeks of community paeds, 3 weeks psych, 3 weeks palliative care

But over 20 is excessive and 15 in one year is too much.
Original post by hoonosewot
That's insane. We have 1 day a week in 3rd year and a 4 week block in 5th year, plus the odd afternoon here and there in pre-clin. Probably works out to about 12 weeks total.

15 in one year is a total joke, and i really enjoy GP placements.

Year 3
4 weeks of G.P.
4 weeks of psychiatry

Year 4
4 weeks of G.P.
4 weeks of psychiatry

Year 5
15 weeks of G.P.

We don't have specific community psych./paediatrics placements, but it's hardly as if we need them...

15 in one year is absolutely insane. Imagine getting it in the second semester, which means that you do G.P. for 15 weeks, then finals, then elective and then you're an F.Y.1. So unless you do a productive elective, the last time you'll've been on a ward pre-F.Y.1 will have been before Christmas. It's scary, frankly (thankfully I do G.P. in rotation 1, so I'll get my post-Christmas time in a hospital environment).

Original post by Medicine Man
Dude, this is the one year there's genuinely a real chance of failing. I know so many very able students who breezed through each year and then failed this year when they got to it.

It's the OSCE and Data Interpretation I'm petrified of (most people pass the written paper). Literally ANYTHING could come up. :/

It's the same here. Feel pretty unnerved! They commence on Monday. Someone in the year before me finished 3rd in the year on the written paper but failed the O.S.C.E. and had to re-sit the year (perfectly competent student too).
Not applying this year, but will be for the 2016 entry. Will be interested to see things develop!
I'm applying this year...scary/exciting/overwhelming!!
Does anybody know what sorts of things our referee is required to do/know about us for FPAS? I know we need 2 referees and the medical school have assigned me someone who I've met for probably a combined total of 10 mins last year (their pastoral care tickbox), so that's one down. However I've got to find the other person myself and it would really help if I could tell them exactly what I was asking for when I bring it up.

The structure of our course is such that the longest I've ever known somebody for is approx. the maximum length of a placement - about 4 weeks :s-smilie:
Original post by seaholme
Does anybody know what sorts of things our referee is required to do/know about us for FPAS? I know we need 2 referees and the medical school have assigned me someone who I've met for probably a combined total of 10 mins last year (their pastoral care tickbox), so that's one down. However I've got to find the other person myself and it would really help if I could tell them exactly what I was asking for when I bring it up.

The structure of our course is such that the longest I've ever known somebody for is approx. the maximum length of a placement - about 4 weeks :s-smilie:

Same problem, I can't really think of anyone who has seen me in a clinical setting that would remember me :-/
Do you know which are the district general hospitals in Scotland pls?

Pls refer to my post here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2872847
Original post by seaholme

I was pretty lucky because my Obs & Gynae consultant offered to do me a reference when I finished that rotation. Have you got any F1 friends who can tell you how they sorted it out? The consultants in your area must be aware that this is how it works.
I asked my consultant on my first final year firm. They do a lot of stuff for their specialty trainees and foundation doctors anyway, so they should be ok with it especially as it won't take up a lot of time (unless they really want to spend time on it).
Received my EPM decile the other day - 41/43 (3rd decile). I think that puts me on 46/50 for my EPM with a first for my iBSc and a first author pubmed paper. It literally all rides on the SJT though and I'm doing so pants on question banks at the moment!

I'm really uneasy about going for the AFP. I'm thinking of Thames and Cambridge and I'd like to apply for a neurology programme if possible. I have just skimmed through the last two years worth of AFP threads on TSR. So it's like 800 applicants for 100 odd jobs in Thames and something about having a PhD gets you an automatic interview. Some of the people who posted got rejected without interview had impressive deciles, distinctions, academia and research experience as well. :s

Using the AFP scoring for 5 points for extra qualifications, 10 for papers / posters and 5 for prizes / merits / distinctions, I'm on about 12/20 - first class iBSc in neuroscience (4 pts), 1st author peer-reviewed review / paper (2 its), 2 first author international oral platform conferences (2 pts), 1 fourth author international poster (1 pt), 1 second author national poster (1 pt), 2 merits in MBBS (2 points).

I may get another 2 pts if they accept a published abstract as a 'publication' but I am doubtful. Even though I feel like I have excelled in more than ways than I anticipated before starting medical school, I feel very inadequate thinking of applying amongst people I know that got distinctions throughout, first decile, prizes, scholarships etc. I also know someone with three papers and ten posters!
Original post by i'm no superman
Received my EPM decile the other day - 41/43 (3rd decile). I think that puts me on 46/50 for my EPM with a first for my iBSc and a first author pubmed paper. It literally all rides on the SJT though and I'm doing so pants on question banks at the moment!

I'm really uneasy about going for the AFP. I'm thinking of Thames and Cambridge and I'd like to apply for a neurology programme if possible. I have just skimmed through the last two years worth of AFP threads on TSR. So it's like 800 applicants for 100 odd jobs in Thames and something about having a PhD gets you an automatic interview. Some of the people who posted got rejected without interview had impressive deciles, distinctions, academia and research experience as well. :s

Using the AFP scoring for 5 points for extra qualifications, 10 for papers / posters and 5 for prizes / merits / distinctions, I'm on about 12/20 - first class iBSc in neuroscience (4 pts), 1st author peer-reviewed review / paper (2 its), 2 first author international oral platform conferences (2 pts), 1 fourth author international poster (1 pt), 1 second author national poster (1 pt), 2 merits in MBBS (2 points).

I may get another 2 pts if they accept a published abstract as a 'publication' but I am doubtful. Even though I feel like I have excelled in more than ways than I anticipated before starting medical school, I feel very inadequate thinking of applying amongst people I know that got distinctions throughout, first decile, prizes, scholarships etc. I also know someone with three papers and ten posters!

Mate you have done incredibly well.

It is definitely still worth applying for the AFP, I know of people who managed to get an interview for Thames with 3rd decile ranking with 1st/2:1 iBSc and a handful of publications and posters.

They look at your answers to the white space questions as well, so I think you should be able to manage to get an interview at the very least.

There will always be the people who seem to win all the prizes and and do exceptionally well with what appears to be little effort but that shouldn't make us feel inadequate.

As for the SJT, it's not something I'm particularly looking forward to. What are you doing to prepare for it? You thinking about going on one of those courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deciles are out and I'm in 2nd, so that's 42/50 for my EPM as I have no degrees/publications.

Does anyone know how the SJT scoring works? Are the scores spread from 0-50 or is the distribution more narrowed?

Also, how do raw marks convert to the 50 points? Is the percentage mark just halved or is it weighted?

Is there any way of guesstimating an SJT score based on a percentage mock result?
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Deciles are out and I'm in 2nd, so that's 42/50 for my EPM as I have no degrees/publications.

Does anyone know how the SJT scoring works? Are the scores spread from 0-50 or is the distribution more narrowed?

Also, how do raw marks convert to the 50 points? Is the percentage mark just halved or is it weighted?

Is there any way of guesstimating an SJT score based on a percentage mock result?

Last year the mean was 38.95 with an SD of 4.25 (http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home/how-to-apply/SJT-FAQs#answer378).
Not sure what decile I'm in, hoping I get at least 40 points from my EPM :s-smilie:

btw in the process of writing up a paper and getting it published. When's the deadline for submitting this on your FPAS application?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I was pretty lucky because my Obs & Gynae consultant offered to do me a reference when I finished that rotation. Have you got any F1 friends who can tell you how they sorted it out? The consultants in your area must be aware that this is how it works.

Quite a lot of them used their GP (who we did see every few weeks over the course of a year a few years ago) - unfortunately mine has passed away :frown: Anyway I managed to find the info about what is required in the reference (which I've included below in case anybody else needs it) and I'm going to just ask the consultant on my firm even though I've spoken to him just twice... & fingers crossed! Hopefully he can find out any information about me from the juniors.

Reference info:

Spoiler

Original post by Isometrix
Not sure what decile I'm in, hoping I get at least 40 points from my EPM :s-smilie:

btw in the process of writing up a paper and getting it published. When's the deadline for submitting this on your FPAS application?

October 17th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carcinoma

That sucks never mind then!
Joining in on this chat as this applies to me this year! *insert reality check*
Deciles released today - bang in the middle of the 2nd decile (which was a nice surprise bearing in mind last years exams literally broke me). Not complaining though. Thank God!

I'm definitely going to give the AFP a go - I wasn't going to before, but I've been convinced by my mentor to give it a go so I will. Probably just going to go for Thames though since I'm pretty certain on wanting to stay in London for F1/2 (just want to save some money for the first two years by staying at home). I also only really want to do the Med Ed jobs - nothing else really catches my attention tbh.

Just had a couple of questions re Thames AFP:
Am I right in saying that you can only get points for any new publications not already on the normal FPAS form (i.e publications used to calculate your EPM cannot be used again for the Thames AFP application)?
Also, with posters, does having the same poster accepted and presented at one national and one international conference count as 1 or 2 points?

Latest

Trending

Trending