The Student Room Group

Law- Alevel subjects help

(For a friend) So I'm stuck choosing between some A-level choices with the aim of applying for Law at uni. If anyone has done any of these subjects or is doing law at uni, please offer some advice. I'm currently thinking of taking A-level law and psychology but I'm stuck at choosing my 3rd alevel which are sociology and business. The conflict comes about that if i were to take sociology it would be super content heavy with 3 essay based subjects, however with business I'm worried it may not be strong enough for my uni application.
(edited 6 months ago)
Many moons ago when I went to uni they preferred you not to do law at a level. I would go for business. For context I did English, History, Business and Sociology x
Reply 2
There are no required A level subjects for Law at Uni - you just need 3 high grades.
Most people find an essay- based subject like History, Law, Sociology, Politics etc useful for skills but this isnt essential.

(Its a total myth that Unis 'dont like Law A level' - it isnt true - https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/content/news/2014-04-15/AQA-W-A-LEVEL-LAW-SUPPORT.PDF)
Original post by Carrotsroom
(For a friend) So I'm stuck choosing between some A-level choices with the aim of applying for Law at uni. If anyone has done any of these subjects or is doing law at uni, please offer some advice. I'm currently thinking of taking A-level law and psychology but I'm stuck at choosing my 3rd alevel which are sociology and business. The conflict comes about that if i were to take sociology it would be super content heavy with 3 essay based subjects, however with business I'm worried it may not be strong enough for my uni application.

hi im applying for law this year, im taking sociology, history and law - i think law and sociology are very easy essay subjects and arent that heavy (except sociology has SO MUCH memorisation its literally a joke lol) unis also dont really mind what you pick they slightly prefer an essay subject and your friend has taken essay subjects which is good x

Hi, there are no specific subjects that Law require at University so don't worry about picking specific subjects. However, I would say taking psychology and Law a good choice. In my opinion, if you wouldn't mind taking another challenging subject I think you should take sociology. But if you looking to pick a less 'stressful' subject, you could pick business. The reason I am saying this is because I know people who did sociology and there is quite a lot of context and long mark questions in exam papers. Business would not affect you uni application, it is still a good subject and will make your life easier.
I hope this helped and Good Luck for year 12!

Hi there

For a law course, there are no requirements as to what subjects you take, rather Universities tend to focus on the grades which you achieve.

I think having two essay subjects would build a strong application for law. It will also help you with writing coursework and essays in University. (there is a lot of essay writing in a law degree). A level law will come in helpful in my opinion. Those that took A level Law had a head start in first year law, so it is a good option. :smile:

I think if you are concerned with sociology A levels being too content heavy, maybe try business. Afterall, I think for University applications, you really should be trying to achieve the best grades you can. Business A levels in my opinion is a good choice too. :biggrin:

If your friend is considering applying for commercial legal jobs in the future, it will give her an advantage in applications. (As long as they achieve a good grade, it will be a strong University application).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

For a law course, there are no requirements as to what subjects you take, rather Universities tend to focus on the grades which you achieve.

I think having two essay subjects would build a strong application for law. It will also help you with writing coursework and essays in University. (there is a lot of essay writing in a law degree). A level law will come in helpful in my opinion. Those that took A level Law had a head start in first year law, so it is a good option. :smile:

I think if you are concerned with sociology A levels being too content heavy, maybe try business. Afterall, I think for University applications, you really should be trying to achieve the best grades you can. Business A levels in my opinion is a good choice too. :biggrin:

If your friend is considering applying for commercial legal jobs in the future, it will give her an advantage in applications. (As long as they achieve a good grade, it will be a strong University application).

I hope this helps.
Chloe

Hi. Would you comment on the following combination - math bio econ chem , is the chance very slim even if the grades are good?
Original post by jobb11
Hi. Would you comment on the following combination - math bio econ chem , is the chance very slim even if the grades are good?

Hi there

I took something similar for A levels, I took: maths, bio, chem. I think adding Econ as a fourth subject would boost your application if you get a good grade. I do not think the chances of getting into law are slim with these subjects if you are able to get good grades.

Hope this helps.
Chloe

Quick Reply

Latest