The Student Room Group

Student finance query

I studied before with Open Uni, I claimed CertHE from previous studies however I studied with them 3 years and then withdraw. I would like to start full time with one of the London Uni to continue on the same subject to gain a Degree. Will I get full student finance does anyone know how it works? Thank you.
Unfortunately part time study that resulted in a qualification counts as previous study.

So if you want to study full time now then you will be assessed as have 3 years of previous study.

That would mean that the first 2 years of a full time degree would be unfunded and you wouldn’t get a tuition fee loan for those 2 years. You would still get a maintenance loan for all years.

This wouldn’t be a problem if you studied a new course part time
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Unfortunately part time study that resulted in a qualification counts as previous study.

So if you want to study full time now then you will be assessed as have 3 years of previous study.

That would mean that the first 2 years of a full time degree would be unfunded and you wouldn’t get a tuition fee loan for those 2 years. You would still get a maintenance loan for all years.

This wouldn’t be a problem if you studied a new course part time

Thank you for your reply. So just to clarify If I understood it correct.
If I hold CertHe which is equvalent to Year 1 of studies and I completed it within the first year of my previous studies and then I studied for another 2 years with open uni and did not gain any more qualification all this years are still counting towards full time studies? I would like to do 3 years health and social care- Could you clarify why I am not entitled to 2 years funding due to my previous studies while I studied 3 years please. Thank you and sorry for asking again I just would like to be clear.
Original post by Karolla85
Thank you for your reply. So just to clarify If I understood it correct.
If I hold CertHe which is equvalent to Year 1 of studies and I completed it within the first year of my previous studies and then I studied for another 2 years with open uni and did not gain any more qualification all this years are still counting towards full time studies? I would like to do 3 years health and social care- Could you clarify why I am not entitled to 2 years funding due to my previous studies while I studied 3 years please. Thank you and sorry for asking again I just would like to be clear.

When you say that you want to study health and social care for your new degree can you be more specific?

Nursing and many AHP courses are exemptions from previous study rules.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

When you say that you want to study health and social care for your new degree can you be more specific?

Nursing and many AHP courses are exemptions from previous study rules.

it is Health and Social Care Bsc(Hons)
Reply 5
this will be my first degree, I don’t hold any degree yet, I have CertHe in Health and Social Care awarded for my first year of study in Open Uni however I studied all togehter 3 years there but have only gain CertHe for my first two modules completed in first year.
Original post by Karolla85
I studied before with Open Uni, I claimed CertHE from previous studies however I studied with them 3 years and then withdraw. I would like to start full time with one of the London Uni to continue on the same subject to gain a Degree. Will I get full student finance does anyone know how it works? Thank you.

Hi there,

If it was just a 1year CertHE course you done and now you're looking to take it as a Full Time degree I would advise to make an application and to send over your proof of qualification gained. If you are planning to start the course in September 2024 or later on this would be the 24/25 Academic Year and the applications will be live around April time. Thanks, Ross
Reply 7
Original post by Ross SLC

Hi there,

If it was just a 1year CertHE course you done and now you're looking to take it as a Full Time degree I would advise to make an application and to send over your proof of qualification gained. If you are planning to start the course in September 2024 or later on this would be the 24/25 Academic Year and the applications will be live around April time. Thanks, Ross

Thank you, my question is as I am confused how to fill in student finance application form, as I understand I need to put the qualification i gained and what year I started and left uni. I gained CertHe after one year from two modules 120 credits. Then I studied two more modules worth 15 credits each however they dont count as part of my CertHe and I havent gained any more qualifications from this two modules.
Thank you
Hi there,

If you did not get a qualification from the 15 credits more that you studied you would not need to tell us but you would need to tell us the full time that you studied the course.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 9
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

If you did not get a qualification from the 15 credits more that you studied you would not need to tell us but you would need to tell us the full time that you studied the course.

Thanks, Drew

Thank you, I gained my CertHe from 120 credits after 1 year at Open Uni and then carried on study with this two modules 15 credits each and I checked my student record and I think it was another year i think . So in that case I need to fill in that i started uni 2012 and left 2014 however I only gain qualification for the first year so in that case will I lose two years of funding even the second year I did not gain anything as „on paper” or I only be deducted one year, thank you
Hi there,

As you started a 2nd year this would be classed as 2 years. We will need to process your application and assess the qualification you have gained so we can work out your entitlement.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 11
Hi there,

As you started a 2nd year this would be classed as 2 years. We will need to process your application and assess the qualification you have gained so we can work out your entitlement.

Thanks, Drew

Thank you, just to clarify if I would like to start part time course towards degree as mentioned above it would not be the case and I can qualify for full student support is that correct? as I wanted to start full time but if I wont be fully funded for full time if I chose to go part time will I get full funding in my case please? thank you for your help
Hi there,

As you did not get a full Undergraduate Degree if you are now to go part time then you should be eligible for the full funding but we would need our assessors to review your application and the qualification you did gain.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 13
Hi there,

As you did not get a full Undergraduate Degree if you are now to go part time then you should be eligible for the full funding but we would need our assessors to review your application and the qualification you did gain.

Thanks, Drew

Thank you you are very helpful, I just would like to be aware of all the optiona available for me in my case, are you able to provide a list of degree courses which are exempt from previous studies as per srudent finance and therefore I will be able to study full time and then get full student support if I understand correctly. I would like to see if any of those course I may be interested I just would like to he aware of all the options. Thank you
Hi there,

No we are unable to give you a list of courses that are exception courses for full time study. It is mainly NHS course that are classed as exception courses. If you are able to give me a course name, the university you will attend and the duration of the course I can check our database.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending