The Student Room Group

Should young people have to do volunteering?

Hiya, for my GCSE speaking & listening I have to do a 4 minute talk on a controversial/ debatable issue. I've chosen to do whether it should be compulsory for young people to do volunteering & I was wondering whether anyone had any opinions/views/ideas on the issue? Whether it's a good/ bad idea & why? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks :smile:

Also any general tips for gcse speaking & listenening would be much appreciated :smile:
No way

-forced labour
-might not be suitable for everyone
-effort will be small
-doesn't distinguish true volunteers from the fake ones
-too much redtape
Reply 2
Although I think volunteering is beneficial (eg. helps to gain work experience and develop skills, can help to improve confidence etc), I don't think young people should be made to do it. It wouldn't be volunteering in that case. As the other poster said if people were made to do it they'd be unwilling and may not put in the effort. I volunteered in a charity shop one summer and the manager told me she had people sent there from the jobcentre in the past and some of them weren't any good; they'd just sit there messing with their phones and refusing to do any work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
How is it volunteering if you have to?
Reply 4
Compulsory volunteering is colloquially known as slave labour.
Reply 5
In essence work experience is like compulsory volunteering, and I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing because some people will never get any experience otherwise. Although, I'm not a fan of anyone being forced to do anything as I think there is a strongly dividing line between the work ethic of those who want to do something, and those who are forced to, with the latter being much less engaged, and consequently a lot less beneficial.
Original post by Wattsy
Compulsory volunteering is colloquially known as slave labour.

Came here to say this.

Quick Reply

Latest