The Student Room Group

applying for an an apprenticeship but idk how im going to explain a two year gap

i havent really done anything worth while the last few years. I went to uni in 2020 and dropped out because i felt like i wasn't getting help since i have autism. ive been doing some part-time work but nothing significant, since I have very bad anxiety. last October i started taking anti-depressants and since then ive slowly started to gain confidence about what i want to do next butt i feel like if im asked about it in an interview etc, it wont go very well what should i do?
Reply 1
I think I would prob just say I was in part time work. It doesn’t have to be “significant”. Apprenticeships are for people who lack knowledge/experience in an area and the interviewers know this. So they’re not gonna expect you to have been in a relevant field for the last two years. Saying you worked in retail or whatever it may be is fine, and if they ask why you dropped out you can just say “personal reasons”.
The important thing is how you’re feeling now which is more confident and eager. Try to steer the focus towards that if they start prying into your past
Reply 2
You can say you were a home tutor teaching to young kids to help prepare them for GCSE's in Maths, English and Science or a subject relevant to your apprenticeship. You can also add in volunteering experience like at a soup kitchen or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending