The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sexy ladies.
who even cares
Why can't you all just stop and enjoy the TV show?
lydia was fit though
Original post by MidnightDream
Why can't you all just stop and enjoy the TV show?

because vince gilligan is a sexist. that's why. not that i have anything against it, but i should think everyone recognises this fact as they all revere his tv show
vince is a sexist deal with it
Reply 7
If it was a woman's head on that tortoise's back, or a woman with half her face blown off in the old people's home, or a woman shanked 50 times repeatedly in the prison, or a woman dissolved in a bath of acid, or a woman squashed between the cars and disabled from the waist down etc etc there'd be more displeasure towards the show than you exhibit.

Shooting and poisoning innocent children is ok though.
To be fair, the men in the programme aren't shown in the best light either.

And Skyler was irritating. That's not sexist, it's just a fact :dontknow:
Breaking Bad is awesome, and I'm a female. In fact, I think they should have killed Skyler off because she was whiny little bitch who I couldn't stand.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
To be fair, the men in the programme aren't shown in the best light either.

And Skyler was irritating. That's not sexist, it's just a fact :dontknow:
well, i think all the interesting characters were men, all the "badass" and "entertaining" parts from breaking bad were played by men.
Original post by caseyfattey69
well, i think all the interesting characters were men, all the "badass" and "entertaining" parts from breaking bad were played by men.

True, but given the nature of the programme, could women realistically play a large part without it seeming a bit odd?

I'm talking about the gun / bomb / killing stuff - because there was a woman, Lydia, who was quite central for a while. I don't think it's sexist to say that, in the drug empire scheme of things, it's more likely women would be doing 'behind the scenes' stuff as opposed to going out and intimidating / beheading / shooting / blowing stuff up.
Sexism may have a slight presence in Breaking Bad shown through gender stereotypes, but that doesn't make the whole programme sexist.
Original post by caseyfattey69
theres only a few women on there, and when they get screentime everyone is like "oh shut the **** up you whiny whore", women are almost irrelevent in breaking bad, yet every female breaking bad fan i know loves it and doesn't realise how sexist it is

discuss

I hate the women in Breaking Bad.
Reply 14
Only if you perceive it as such. Vince Gilligan sees Skylar as a good character: she stands up against her husband, right? Odd that you think he's a misogynist.

I do think it's unfair that Skylar receives all the hate when her husband is way worse; but that's down to the viewers, not the actual writing itself.

Also, a "good" character isn't necessarily a character that's perfect in your eyes. Many didn't like Lydia, but she was a good character - she had flaws, complex motivations, and played an important part in the storyline. Watch her expressions when she talks to other characters. She's a nervous wreck - not some sort of "you go girl!" strong womyn caricature.

Enjoy it for what it is. It's in no way misogynistic; It just suffers from (mostly) unlikable female characters. And that's OK. People are people, I can connect to them no matter their gender.
I ****ed Ted. :sexface:

At first Skyler does come across as being annoying and you wish she would just go away. Then as the series progresses you realize she is marrid to a maniac and just wish she would get away from WW for her own sake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hdaindak
spot the virgin

You don't want to mess with Viva :nope:
Reply 17
Lol I agree.

That the women in breaking bad are so ****in annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are women irrelivant? Skyler was essential. She had to launder Walter's money through the car wash. Lydia had to provide the methylamine, and when she couldn't, she even bartered her way out of nearly getting shot to getting money from Walter and gang for providing info on the train.
I personally enjoyed all of Breaking Bad, don't really get why people hated Skyler. Without her, the show would have little emotion and would take away half the entire premise, which is Walter's struggle to lead a double life. Imagine how crap the show would be if Walt was single and living on his own from the start of the series.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hdaindak
spot the virgin

Uh...you?

Latest