The Student Room Group

What has been your biggest exam mistake?

Scroll to see replies

answering both a and b essay questions when i was only soposed to answer one of them..
Taking a calculator (in my pencil case) to a non-calc exam. Luckily the invigilator noticed it right at the beginning and took it away.

Seriously, exam stress really does drive you to do some silly blunders!

Posted from TSR Mobile
-Forgetting formulae in physics exam.

-not remembering the exact word I wanted to use in an essay to make my point.

-confusing acid base properties in organic compounds in chemistry exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read the clock wrong in my A2 English, left myself with 20 minutes to write a 40 mark essay (half the paper) :facepalm:
Bye bye A* :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Skipping out a big mark question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
-Forgetting formulae in physics exam.

-not remembering the exact word I wanted to use in an essay to make my point.

-confusing acid base properties in organic compounds in chemistry exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had that a lot with my History exams, which is annoying because all of the questions are basically essays!
Original post by AwkwardlyMeHD
Missed out two pages in my Science and found out just when I had to hand it in. Also, I realised that area of a parallelogram is base x height. But I didn't do it as height-I used a slanted side. GOD. and I also forgot to do the tree diagram thing. I just did it a random way.

Was this the biology unit two paper as I did exactly the same and turned the page over as they were saying times up. Never felt so dreadful.
Original post by Datta10
Skipping out a big mark question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I left out the last six marker on bio. Silly me
Original post by Rakes
Taking a calculator (in my pencil case) to a non-calc exam. Luckily the invigilator noticed it right at the beginning and took it away.

Seriously, exam stress really does drive you to do some silly blunders!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear you're lucky you weren't disqualified !!!
Original post by TheBluePianist
Accidently missing out the last page in the maths non calc which was worth 5 marks. Now I'm not sure if I secured an A*...and for geography I misread a question twice -_- and literally had no space to write a answer to a 4 mark question

OOOH no yeh I guess you could've done that seeing as it was actually on the reverse of the paper :/ hmmm
Worked on an answer on my maths exam but I thought it was wrong so crossed it out and put a random answer. Turns out my original answer was correct. Dumb mistake.
Also, I didn't see the back page on a Physics exam so I completely missed it out. Only found out when the invigilators were picking it up and my eye caught the back page of one of the papers. Weird cause the chemistry and biology papers didn't have a back page so I thought that the physics paper wouldn't either. Another stupid assumption.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forgetting to write the question I was answering on my additional paper, Although I'm not sure :/
Reply 52
missing out the last question as it was at the back of the page!
I always miss those really tiny questions.

5) Draw a line of best fit on the graph
Wrote outside the time frame given on my A2 History exam :facepalm: Only realised after I'd written an entire paragraph and tried to rescue it near the end, but it was pretty bad.

Also I once spent 10 minutes integrating something in a C4 exam when the question clearly said to differentiate :lol:
Writing about how the cyclist changed gears...on a 6 mark question about terminal velocity. (Physics exam) Missing the eyebrows on a portrait (art exam).
:facepalm:
such an idiot.
Original post by CallMeBatwoman
Read the clock wrong in my A2 English, left myself with 20 minutes to write a 40 mark essay (half the paper) :facepalm:
Bye bye A* :'(

:eek: I've done that too. Presumably because of the stress of being in an exam room, I completely ignored the minute hand and only read the hour hand, and assumed it was the minute hand. I was amazed at how slowly time seemed to be passing until I realised what I was doing, and that I actually only had 5 minutes left, not 45. It still annoys me that it's not compulsory to display a digital clock face in exam rooms, they're so much easier (and faster) to read!
my psychology exam , had to learn 20 essays , saw online someone predicted two of the essays , they were the only two i never learnt in detail and they both came up out of the possible 3 essays which came and I'm predicted an A ,,,,,, don't think so anymore.
Not sleeping the day before a Maths exam. Bad idea! :frown:
Reply 59
Original post by yellowcopter
Not sleeping the day before a Maths exam. Bad idea! :frown:

Why? What happened? How many marks you think you got?

Quick Reply

Latest