The Student Room Group

A* star revision tips

hello fellow TSR members, i am in Year 13 and i would love advice from anyone who got an A* star in A Levels/anyone who is predicted an A* to tell me their best revision tips please! i am currently predicted ABB and would really love to turn things around with my grades!! i do aqa psych, socio and spanish :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
What subjects are you doing (and their corresponding grades)?
Original post by 17yiuk
What subjects are you doing (and their corresponding grades)?

Psychology - C
Sociology - B
Spanish - A
Reply 3
Original post by emm4nuella
Psychology - C
Sociology - B
Spanish - A

Hey lovely! i just finished my A-levels and got triple A star. I also did psych and soc. The main advice I would give for exam season specifically is never prioritise one paper over the over just because of chronology. 90% of your peers in the run up to psych or soc paper 1 will have put all their revision time into the paper 1s. It seems logical to do so but don't do it. in the easter half term leading up to summer exams and when back at school I made sure i would actively recall paper 1 psych, paper 2 and 3 as equally as I could. You may be thinking that doesn't seem manageable due to all the content but honestly most info would stick in your head anyways from your spring mocks (assuming you have those). The same advice applies to socio. Active recall will be your best friend. I used to think it was a load of ___ and would just note-take but I'm telling you open the psych textbook for example, start with social influence - read the page and close the textbook and write down all you remember and then fill in what you didn't. Once again the same applies to socio but since aqa socio textbooks aren't like psych ones whereby one topic is on one page you might find it easier to use pre-done condensed mindmaps as the 'textbook' which i can send to you if you contact me. Secondly, exam questions. I was on a grade C for psych for two of my year 12 mocks but when it came to the year 12 AS exams I got an A which is the highest for AS. The only thing that boosted my grade was exam practice. You will not get higher than a B if you do not absolutely rinse out the exam papers. Use the topic-specific ones from physics and maths tutor website. Through this you will become accustomed to the mark scheme. Additionally, skim through examiner reports see what a lot of people get wrong. For many it is silly mistakes for paper 2 research methods, clue yourself up on it and you won't make the mistakes. For 16 markers, READ THROUGH THAT MARK SCHEME and look at examples on free websites like 'Studocu'. For the AO3 part of the 16 marker is where loads of people cap themselves. In year 13 you will be faced with 'discuss' for the 16m questions, it isn't like the AS 12 markers so you can't write like an AS student. When it says discuss you need to argue with yourself in that ao3 paragraph and don't overuse sentence starters like 'On the other hand', use 'conversely, arguably etc etc'. An argument + interesting sentence starters will for sure impress the examiner and you won't be a bore :smile: For sociology, come exam season you have to juggle methods aswell as the other content. it will be hard but you have to keep on top of it and ensure you are prepared for every question. A lot of mistakes that socio students make is trying to essentially 'rule out' questions that 'definitely won't come up'...don't be privy to this. I get it since the 2023 30 marker definitely won't be the 2024 one so that makes sense to not essay plan it but at the very least skim over it as it could be a 10 marker and every mark counts when it comes to grade boundaries. Don't leave your revision too late. I guess I started revising from Feb but as will a lot of people because many people have march mocks so it is only fitting. Honestly my advice from the very start applies more to socio than psych. Socio paper 3 is a beast since you will be faced with NEW topics (crime and deviance and the THEORY part of methods), I promise you from the bottom of my heart you will get that a/a* if you pair your p3 revision with p1 and 2. p1 and half of paper 2 will already be familiar to you its the unfamiliar ones you need to make sure you understand. IF your november mocks aren't up to par consult with your teachers! Use that december break to fill those potholes and decide what to prioritise! YOU HAVE GOT THIS :smile: Take all these tips in stride and you will already be in a better position than 80% of those in your cohort (sorry this is so long)
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by MelaGrace
Hey lovely! i just finished my A-levels and got triple A star. I also did psych and soc. The main advice I would give for exam season specifically is never prioritise one paper over the over just because of chronology. 90% of your peers in the run up to psych or soc paper 1 will have put all their revision time into the paper 1s. It seems logical to do so but don't do it. in the easter half term leading up to summer exams and when back at school I made sure i would actively recall paper 1 psych, paper 2 and 3 as equally as I could. You may be thinking that doesn't seem manageable due to all the content but honestly most info would stick in your head anyways from your spring mocks (assuming you have those). The same advice applies to socio. Active recall will be your best friend. I used to think it was a load of ___ and would just note-take but I'm telling you open the psych textbook for example, start with social influence - read the page and close the textbook and write down all you remember and then fill in what you didn't. Once again the same applies to socio but since aqa socio textbooks aren't like psych ones whereby one topic is on one page you might find it easier to use pre-done condensed mindmaps as the 'textbook' which i can send to you if you contact me. Secondly, exam questions. I was on a grade C for psych for two of my year 12 mocks but when it came to the year 12 AS exams I got an A which is the highest for AS. The only thing that boosted my grade was exam practice. You will not get higher than a B if you do not absolutely rinse out the exam papers. Use the topic-specific ones from physics and maths tutor website. Through this you will become accustomed to the mark scheme. Additionally, skim through examiner reports see what a lot of people get wrong. For many it is silly mistakes for paper 2 research methods, clue yourself up on it and you won't make the mistakes. For 16 markers, READ THROUGH THAT MARK SCHEME and look at examples on free websites like 'Studocu'. For the AO3 part of the 16 marker is where loads of people cap themselves. In year 13 you will be faced with 'discuss' for the 16m questions, it isn't like the AS 12 markers so you can't write like an AS student. When it says discuss you need to argue with yourself in that ao3 paragraph and don't overuse sentence starters like 'On the other hand', use 'conversely, arguably etc etc'. An argument + interesting sentence starters will for sure impress the examiner and you won't be a bore :smile: For sociology, come exam season you have to juggle methods aswell as the other content. it will be hard but you have to keep on top of it and ensure you are prepared for every question. A lot of mistakes that socio students make is trying to essentially 'rule out' questions that 'definitely won't come up'...don't be privy to this. I get it since the 2023 30 marker definitely won't be the 2024 one so that makes sense to not essay plan it but at the very least skim over it as it could be a 10 marker and every mark counts when it comes to grade boundaries. Don't leave your revision too late. I guess I started revising from Feb but as will a lot of people because many people have march mocks so it is only fitting. Honestly my advice from the very start applies more to socio than psych. Socio paper 3 is a beast since you will be faced with NEW topics (crime and deviance and the THEORY part of methods), I promise you from the bottom of my heart you will get that a/a* if you pair your p3 revision with p1 and 2. p1 and half of paper 2 will already be familiar to you its the unfamiliar ones you need to make sure you understand. IF your november mocks aren't up to par consult with your teachers! Use that december break to fill those potholes and decide what to prioritise! YOU HAVE GOT THIS :smile: Take all these tips in stride and you will already be in a better position than 80% of those in your cohort (sorry this is so long)

thank you so so much for your lovely detailed answer! you have helped a lot <3
Reply 5
what is the other alevel that you did?
thank you so so much for your lovely detailed answer! you have helped a lot <3

For psychology - the long questions are most important. Not just reciting answers but making sure you understand the stuff so you can get A*. I didn't get an A* but it was module choice (IAL). I suppose you could taake my aadvice anyway?

For sociology and spanish no clue. i have no experience.
Reply 7
hello fellow TSR members, i am going into Year 13 in a few days and i would love advice from anyone who got an A* star in A Levels/anyone who is predicted an A* to tell me their best revision tips please! i am currently predicted ABC and would really love to turn things around with my grades!!

i have the same predicted! what subjects are you studying?
Original post by sunbun9
i have the same predicted! what subjects are you studying?

psychology, sociology, spanish
hello fellow TSR members, i am going into Year 13 in a few days and i would love advice from anyone who got an A* star in A Levels/anyone who is predicted an A* to tell me their best revision tips please! i am currently predicted ABC and would really love to turn things around with my grades!!

hey!
I took psych and socio however in general for any subjects, my biggest tip is to use active recall such as using methods which force your brain to think rather than doing something passive like reading or highlighting or watching a video. Instead do things like past papers, quizzes, teaching someone, blurting and flashcards!
Original post by psychstudent2625

hey!
I took psych and socio however in general for any subjects, my biggest tip is to use active recall such as using methods which force your brain to think rather than doing something passive like reading or highlighting or watching a video. Instead do things like past papers, quizzes, teaching someone, blurting and flashcards!

thank you!!
Reply 11
psychology, sociology, spanish

I recommend doing mind maps for sociology WIRH the studies ect
Original post by mxlaika1
I recommend doing mind maps for sociology WIRH the studies ect

thank you, what does WIRH mean? :smile:
Reply 13
Has anyone got any reviews about Uplearn, good for chemistry revision?

hi I am a year 12 student and I am doing math chemistry and biology in my A-level , I think my chemistry was really bad in mechanic those mathematics question do u have any lovely tips for me to get an A ?

could u show me your pre condensed mindmaps for psych? im self studying for psych lol. i was also wondering would u be down to feedback me things on any 16 mark essays i write? i dont mind paying u a small fee lol, i just need someone who has experience with psych stuff lol. msg me on instagram and we can speak in more detail? my username is eman.fs or if u prefer snap msg me on emanfs04 , id reallyyyy appreciate this

Quick Reply

Latest