The Student Room Group

Self Studying and problems with focus

Hello, I am studying A levels externally and I am really finding it hard to focus lately. I dont know what is going on but my maths lately has been going downhill. I make silly mistakes like missing a power, negative sign, integral limits, all sorts. I'm usually very good at the subject and I just don't know why this is happening to me, are there any tips or advice someone could give me? Because I know the content very well, just when I sit down and do questions I either cannot focus well, lose focus or just screw up royally and it is really messing with my head.
Original post by OOgaBooga33
Hello, I am studying A levels externally and I am really finding it hard to focus lately. I dont know what is going on but my maths lately has been going downhill. I make silly mistakes like missing a power, negative sign, integral limits, all sorts. I'm usually very good at the subject and I just don't know why this is happening to me, are there any tips or advice someone could give me? Because I know the content very well, just when I sit down and do questions I either cannot focus well, lose focus or just screw up royally and it is really messing with my head.

The biggest issue you are facing right now is worrying about how you are doing. So many people I know go into this trap of thinking so bad about how they are doing. I remember having this phase in GCSEs where I was getting terrible marks in my sciences. I was mentally struggling and finding it hard, but I talked it out to my teacher and I still remember what he said in clear words. What he said was to not overthink your shortcomings, but focus on what you can improve on. That gave me the surge to try harder and stop thinking negatively.

You may not even need to study but are just making silly mistakes. The best thing is to say to yourself that you know this stuff and you aren't dumb and you are a really talented student (you sure do look like one!) and these are just silly mistakes. Just keep practicing past papers, like SPAM them! This will really help you and make you get rid of those stupid mistakes.

Overall, main point is to not think negatively about it as that is what makes everything worse. Remember that everyone has that point in their life where they start doing bad in a certain subject, but what makes the talented students better than the rest is their mentality to not get demotivated but keep trying and improve. If I managed to pull everything back together in my life, so can YOU. So don't feel bad, and push on!
Reply 2
Thank you kind sir, totally agree with you. Problem is I do know the subject matter, and I do make silly mistakes and I think the root of the problem is overthinking, overcomplicating it too much. I have done other bits of maths outside my a levels and man it really stirred my head and makes it think about other things and not the matter at hand. then I go into a rabbit hole of thinking and just staring at my paper-as if i was frozen and I dont really know how to stop this. Also sad to say I cant even sometimes write out the correct equations in the question, as if my mind is elsewhere and it really bugs me, when i was in college taking my a levels i was acing every test, very confident and well long story short- i didnt take my A levels and now im actually going to this year. and I am really stressed even though I do not want to tell myself. Maybe that is also a contributing factor. because i am really stressed. Im essentially revising and cramming all 2 years worth of content in what is now 4 months before.
Thank you kind sir, totally agree with you. Problem is I do know the subject matter, and I do make silly mistakes and I think the root of the problem is overthinking, overcomplicating it too much. I have done other bits of maths outside my a levels and man it really stirred my head and makes it think about other things and not the matter at hand. then I go into a rabbit hole of thinking and just staring at my paper-as if i was frozen and I dont really know how to stop this. Also sad to say I cant even sometimes write out the correct equations in the question, as if my mind is elsewhere and it really bugs me, when i was in college taking my a levels i was acing every test, very confident and well long story short- i didnt take my A levels and now im actually going to this year. and I am really stressed even though I do not want to tell myself. Maybe that is also a contributing factor. because i am really stressed. Im essentially revising and cramming all 2 years worth of content in what is now 4 months before.

Btw, no need for the sir xD. However, it is amazing to see that you are finding out what the problem is. If you were confident back then, you can become even more confident now. So don't stress and keep pushing on. If you need to talk about your worries, talk to someone in real life to help you as there is only so much I can do online, and I am sure that there are people you know that can help you better than me. Talking about your stress and asking for advice is such a good way to get it all out of your head and start becoming the brilliant student you were before.

Also, talking to your teacher is a better way to sort it as they have met so many students and they might have experience with students like you so I really suggest doing that as well!
Reply 4
Im sure it is stress, its not anxiety bc i was still anxious for my exams back then, but it wasnt debilitating me intelectually. Do note that i am at home most of the time studying, i dont always get regular sleep, and maybe some of my lifestyle choices also do not help me, but man it sucks doing a maths problem say a complex one- gettng that right then doing a much simpler problem and just missing the ball completely. and yes i appreciate you saying the fact that i should push on, I didn't ever think of giving up or surrendering as Uni is my goal and that has to be done no matter what. However i'm studying on my own or the exams, so no teacher there to talk to. My mind loves to overthink too and it really kills my performance too.
Im sure it is stress, its not anxiety bc i was still anxious for my exams back then, but it wasnt debilitating me intelectually. Do note that i am at home most of the time studying, i dont always get regular sleep, and maybe some of my lifestyle choices also do not help me, but man it sucks doing a maths problem say a complex one- gettng that right then doing a much simpler problem and just missing the ball completely. and yes i appreciate you saying the fact that i should push on, I didn't ever think of giving up or surrendering as Uni is my goal and that has to be done no matter what. However i'm studying on my own or the exams, so no teacher there to talk to. My mind loves to overthink too and it really kills my performance too.

I will say that I always do the most complex maths problems and then get mistakes on the easiest ones. It is so annoying! Also, it's good to see that you are not too down bad, as in you ain't surrendering or all.

Having less sleep is such an issue, like ain't no way you said that in such a matter of fact tone! I remember having sleep deprivation due to tons of revision at night, and then I could literally not remember anything in the morning. Get that sleep in as you can actually remember stuff so much better, and this will help you so much with revision. I assure you getting sleep will help you so much.

The reason you may not be getting those small questions right is because you are out of practice with those easy questions as you are accustomed to put more revision into the complex problems, instead of the easier questions. Try to focus on the easier questions right now by going through past papers and only attempting the easier questions, so that you can get practice in for these.
Reply 6
Thank you for your help! Yes it is a pain but like I said, boy no way boy I'm going uni.; should be there right now to be honest but I'm not dwelling on that. Also fact of the matter is, that I was thinking of doing something like that given iI only have 4 months basically before the start of the exam season. I need to check my holes and improve my exam technique and speed. Funny thing is, when I did any exam in a hall, I was always first to finish, didn't stress and still walked away with brilliant grades. However things are clearly different, I'm living on my own, have a job on the side, and other than that mostly study at home so it is a much different environment. Ultimately, I thank you for your advice and will heed to your suggestions.
Thank you for your help! Yes it is a pain but like I said, boy no way boy I'm going uni.; should be there right now to be honest but I'm not dwelling on that. Also fact of the matter is, that I was thinking of doing something like that given iI only have 4 months basically before the start of the exam season. I need to check my holes and improve my exam technique and speed. Funny thing is, when I did any exam in a hall, I was always first to finish, didn't stress and still walked away with brilliant grades. However things are clearly different, I'm living on my own, have a job on the side, and other than that mostly study at home so it is a much different environment. Ultimately, I thank you for your advice and will heed to your suggestions.

what a legendary person you are. Keep it up and hope u the best in the future.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by StingRay123
what a legendary person you are. Keep it up and hope u the best in the future.

Same here brother, I may have my shortcomings but so does everyone, I can't quit now can I?
Reply 9
Same here brother, I may have my shortcomings but so does everyone, I can't quit now can I?

Neither can any of us. Thank you for your kindness, understanding and belief in me. I also with you best of luck in your endeavours.
Original post by undefined
Neither can any of us. Thank you for your kindness, understanding and belief in me. I also with you best of luck in your endeavours.

appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest