The Student Room Group

Missed A levels exams

Hii. I was hoping I'd get some help here as I've been worrying a lot about my exams.

I was supposed to give my A level exams in May but I missed them and I have good reasons for that. I was visiting someone in Sudan and I was supposed to come back for my exams but then a war started and there was no Internet and the airport was destroyed. There was no way for me to leave at all but we somehow got out but I missed all my exams. My exam board is Camrbridge and we've sent a special consideration form (stuck in war and mentally affected).

I'm just wondering how I'll get my grades and result. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help answer my questions. My university offers are conditional and I need to get certain grades to be accepted fully so do I need to contact the university about my situation?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Keiiitsuka
Hii. I was hoping I'd get some help here as I've been worrying a lot about my exams.

I was supposed to give my A level exams in May but I missed them and I have good reasons for that. I was visiting someone in Sudan and I was supposed to come back for my exams but then a war started and there was no Internet and the airport was destroyed. There was no way for me to leave at all but we somehow got out but I missed all my exams. My exam board is Camrbridge and we've sent a special consideration form (stuck in war and mentally affected).

I'm just wondering how I'll get my grades and result. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help answer my questions. My university offers are conditional and I need to get certain grades to be accepted fully so do I need to contact the university about my situation?

There isn't usually a way of getting grades if you sat none of the papers.

hi, hope you're doing well

1. you need to apply for special considration as you said - they will decide whether you can get a predicted grade (which they calculate based off your scores during the school year and weigh up against what other people like you have got in the past or this year)
2. if they dont give you this, which i very much doubt as your reason is one of the biggest reasons for missing an exam i wouldve thought existed, then you will need to resit the exams for the entire subject you have missed in oct/nov

im sure they will give you the predicted grade version but this also may not be the grade you deserve as they use some system, and exam board predicted grades' systems have been dodgy in the past as seen with covid. you can probably try appeal if it comes to that

anyway dont worry, if you have any exams left that youre going to sit, focus on them, otherwise just dont think about this as theres nothing you can do until they decide
Reply 3
Is this the board?

https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/covid/june-2023-exam-series/running-exams/special-consideration/

If so, unfortunately, as @Muttley79 zays, a grade can't be calculated where none of the components of the assessment have been completed.
Original post by Isinglass
Is this the board?

https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/covid/june-2023-exam-series/running-exams/special-consideration/

If so, unfortunately, as @Muttley79 zays, a grade can't be calculated where none of the components of the assessment have been completed.

yeah i wasn't sure if OP had completed any assessments. you need to have completed a minimum of 15% of assessments to get the predicted grade.

otherwise you will have to retake all exams for each missed subject (so i assume all exams) in oct/nov. if you have the option to defer entry to next year then do this. if not email the uni
Reply 5
Original post by user8937264980
yeah i wasn't sure if OP had completed any assessments. you need to have completed a minimum of 15% of assessments to get the predicted grade.

otherwise you will have to retake all exams for each missed subject (so i assume all exams) in oct/nov. if you have the option to defer entry to next year then do this. if not email the uni

Thank you so much for replying. So my university will be in the UK and I'm gonna do a foundation year so is it possible for me to give the exams in November in UK instead of the country I'm in right now?
Thank you so much for replying. So my university will be in the UK and I'm gonna do a foundation year so is it possible for me to give the exams in November in UK instead of the country I'm in right now?

yes. you will need to check how to apply for the resists in october/november. i think you do this through your school/college but search online in case. there also might be a fee but im not sure. on ucas, loads of unis give the option to 'defer entry' when they give you an offer. so you can take the exams in october and then have the grades for next year. email your uni about your situation though and tell them you will be resitting in october.

no worries and take care
Reply 7

You can't start uni without the A levels
i realised i made a mistake in what i said. if you do not have the required a level grades by results day, the university will decline your offer so even if you defer entry to next year, you will still be rejected.

i meant to say that they may let you defer and retake in october. so you definitely need to email them
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
You can't start uni without the A levels

I was thinking that too but I did some research and found out that you can do a foundation course and retake the exam in the same year.
It's just all very confusing
Reply 10
I was thinking that too but I did some research and found out that you can do a foundation course and retake the exam in the same year.
It's just all very confusing

You won't have any grade and yu won't be resitting so do check - I've never heard of this.

Quick Reply

Latest