The Student Room Group

Medicine (Need help)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arch0wnz
I've only just done my AS levels, but yeah I understand the importance of getting AAA prediction.

I'm just worrying a lot more now as results day gets closer, trying to get my mind off it by revising for UKCAT and BMAT but on the whole I'm not really positive about it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So many uni's don't even look at AS results :smile:
Original post by Djent
Maybe it's the fact that my school is a grammar school. I've heard that med schools are a little biased and try to take more people from state schools but maybe that's not true.
My school usually has an excellent record in med students as well as Cambridge/Oxford students however this year was a little different on the med school front.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Med schools are not biased against grammar schools at all. Having been a part of interviewing and commenting on prospective dental students, I can assure you of that.
Reply 22
Sorry I haven't replied to this in a while, I was off doing work experience at a local hospital in Kilimanjaro.

I'm taking maths and 3 sciences as my a levels. Well, by taking I mean took, I've done them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh, get you!
Reply 23
So if i don't do well in my AS grades, is it really down to my predicted grades + everything else I do? What sort of predicted grades do you need to be considered for an interview?

There's one person in my school who was predicted AAB and he didn't get any offers until 2 days ago, and that was from Charles University in Prague.

So I'm just wondering, what are the chances of getting into Medicine in the UK with a prediction of AAB-AAA?
So if i don't do well in my AS grades, is it really down to my predicted grades + everything else I do? What sort of predicted grades do you need to be considered for an interview?

There's one person in my school who was predicted AAB and he didn't get any offers until 2 days ago, and that was from Charles University in Prague.

So I'm just wondering, what are the chances of getting into Medicine in the UK with a prediction of AAB-AAA?

You will probably need AAA for most universities to consider you. If your prediction is AAA and you get it, your chances are down to everything else and where you apply! :smile: I don't think many iunis will accept AAB anymore. But if you explain to your teachers that you need an AAA prediction to even apply, then hopefully they'll be happy to predict you what you need.
Reply 25
Original post by Neostigmine
You will probably need AAA for most universities to consider you. If your prediction is AAA and you get it, your chances are down to everything else and where you apply! :smile: I don't think many iunis will accept AAB anymore. But if you explain to your teachers that you need an AAA prediction to even apply, then hopefully they'll be happy to predict you what you need.

What could I do to convince them to give me AAA predictions if I mess up my AS levels?
What could I do to convince them to give me AAA predictions if I mess up my AS levels?

Have a plan for how you're not going to end up with the same results that you can tell them. Research how resits etc work, and show them that without AAA predictions you have almost no chance of getting a place.
Some unis really don't look at AS levels, like AT ALL. so i'd sieve through them all and see which ones just look at your A2 ones. Have to be honest though, if you're getting Cs medicine may not be the best for you. you need an A in chemistry, and preferably an A* in another science - but goodluck to you. Just check out which unis dont look at AS and rock your UKCAT!
Reply 28
Has anyone done the UKCAT practice test on the UKCAT website and found it harder than in the books? The quantitative and verbal reasoning sections were ridiculously difficult...
Reply 29
I am definitely going to drop a grade on the AAA front for AS.
I was it wondering wether it would be a good idea to defer or apply for other courses other than medicine this year and wait to see my final A2 results and if they meet the requirement, take a gap year and then re-apply...is this a good idea?
Reply 30
Original post by LewisAsh
I was it wondering wether it would be a good idea to defer or apply for other courses other than medicine this year and wait to see my final A2 results and if they meet the requirement, take a gap year and then re-apply...is this a good idea?

You don't need to waste a chance at applying to four med schools just because of a slipped grade at AS. If your predictions are still AAA+, apply. If that doesn't work, then yes, reapplying after getting AAA+ at A-level is a very good idea and works for many people every year.

So many unis dont even look at your AS results, just predicted :yes:

If medicine is what you want to do, don't waste time and money applying for other courses. If you can get your teacher to predict you AAA and don't apply to places that look at AS results, you can still apply for medicine next year, and if they won't, then just apply the following year with grades in hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending