The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance of going to uni?

I just got my A level grades which were: Biology and Chemistry - D, Maths - C, and Further Maths - E. I have always wanted to go into uni to do medicine and one day become a surgeon, but with these grades do I have a chance at all of getting into medicine in any way at all. My GCSE also weren’t the best as I got only 4 at 9 - 7, but I didn’t get a 6 in any of my other subjects, I also got a 5 Eng Language.
I don’t mind going to uni in 2024 as that may be the best choice for me, for other reasons, but would I be able to get accepted into a medicine uni with these grades. Thank you for taking the time to help me, I also don’t mind taking biomedical sciences if it’ll allow me to somehow get into medicine, but will I be able to get into that, another thing is that my personal statement is mainly based on medicine and nothing else, would that be a problem?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by nkhan140
I just got my A level grades which were: Biology and Chemistry - D, Maths - C, and Further Maths - E. I have always wanted to go into uni to do medicine and one day become a surgeon, but with these grades do I have a chance at all of getting into medicine in any way at all. My GCSE also weren’t the best as I got only 4 at 9 - 7, but I didn’t get a 6 in any of my other subjects, I also got a 5 Eng Language.

Hey!

There's no need to worry if you're unsure about where your grades can get you. Contact one of our Clearing advisors via our website, social media or our Clearing hotline on 01332 592023 who will help guide you through the process and let you know what courses are available to you.

Best of luck! 🤞

TSR has put together a Medicine Clearing list here
This will give you an idea of who's still available to ring to find out about their entry criteria

It would seem that, unless you have significant extenuating circumstances, you should at this point consider other options (a popular choice being biomedical sciences, for example). Given your grades you should look at courses that have a foundation year as they have lower entry requirements.

As the official reps above have mentioned, you can search for alternative courses via Clearing.
You would not be able to get into either biomedical sciences or Medicine and Surgery at Lancaster uni with those grades, but if you revise harder and retake your A levels in 2024, you could take biomedical sciences next year. It is probably fine that your personal statement is based on medicine and nothing else, since the universities that you are applying to biomedical sciences at might think that your preferred uni might only offer medicine and not biomedical sciences.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(Original post by nkhan140)I just got my A level grades which were: Biology and Chemistry - D, Maths - C, and Further Maths - E. I have always wanted to go into uni to do medicine and one day become a surgeon, but with these grades do I have a chance at all of getting into medicine in any way at all. My GCSE also weren’t the best as I got only 4 at 9 - 7, but I didn’t get a 6 in any of my other subjects, I also got a 5 Eng Language.
I don’t mind going to uni in 2024 as that may be the best choice for me, for other reasons, but would I be able to get accepted into a medicine uni with these grades. Thank you for taking the time to help me, I also don’t mind taking biomedical sciences if it’ll allow me to somehow get into medicine, but will I be able to get into that, another thing is that my personal statement is mainly based on medicine and nothing else, would that be a problem?

Realistically you wont get into Medicine with grades and I doubt you will biomedicine either. You only hope is to resit next year.

There a couple of issues.

Why were you taking 4 A levels with these grades. It isnt even advisable for top students

You need a serious discussion with teachers who know you and your capabilities as to what future action you should take
Hello,

Sorry to hear you're feeling a little disappointed. Well doe for passing your A-Levels! :smile:

Its great to hear that you are considering lots of different options and being open minded. This can be really helpful when it comes to choosing a University of go to and the course that is right to you.

Like you mentioned, perhaps consider going into medicine following a biomedical science degree if you do not want to resit your exams.

Here at the University of Suffolk we are accepting students onto our Biomedical Science degree through clearing. Our Biomedical Science course is 1st in the UK for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2024) and we are offering a £1,000 award to students who begin their course in September to help with cost of living.

Here is a link to the course page in case you would like to consider if our course could be for you https://www.uos.ac.uk/biomedical

Best of luck!
Scarlett
I would consider an access to medicine to be honest. You can get a advanced learner loan to pay for it which is wiped away upon completion. Or think about resitting your A-Levels.

Hi there @nkhan140,

Try not to worry as there are still options available to you.

Here at UCLan we still have places available through Clearing for our Biomedical Science (Foundation Entry) course where some of our graduates then go on to pursue further studies in dentistry or medicine. You can learn more about the course here.

If you are interested give our team a call on 01772 830777 to discuss your options.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have any. :smile:

All the best,
Sarah
(edited 8 months ago)

Right, here's what I would suggest

I think you need to take some time to think about why you achieved these grades. The routes to medicine for you would be either:
1. Take a gap year and boss your A Levels next year. But you need extremely competitive grades as you know. If you achieved DCE this year you need a really clear plan to get high grades in a gap year.
2. You could end up on a different course and later apply to Graduate Entry Medicine. This is even more competitive and not a route I would recommend. GEM is meant for people who choose to do medicine while they're at uni studying something else. Not an 18 year old wanting to do medicine now but choosing to do another course for the sake.

More importantly I would reflect on whether some other options may be better for you. Could another healthcare course be a good idea? Pharmacy? Nursing? Don't answer now, take some time and think about it.

The qualifications you're bringing in is telling me one narrative, and I think you should pause and reflect on that before rushing into routes to Medicine.

MR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending