The Student Room Group

Why is medicine so hard to get into?

Hi, I’m a gap year student reapplying for medicine. I’m faced with the tough decision of choosing my options. And it just made me think.

Why is medicine so hard to get into? I have great grades and all. Interviews were decent. But I always get faced with a rejection. I’m so desperate to do medicine, I feel like I have no other purpose. I have no passion for any other field or degree.

The thought of medicine is one that fills me with joy. But nobody wants to take me on. I just want to learn and put my knowledge into practical work. Imagine saving lives with a team of people. Nothing is more gratifying. I’d rather work for nothing knowing I did something for humanity, rather than sit at a screen making bank using chatgpt to write me code.

I just want to get in man. I have no other desire for anything. It’s tough being hit with the rejections, I honestly feel degraded. I pursed medicine to help people but it destroys me mentally. I don’t even want to be a doctor for the money or the title or the respect you get. I simply would like to help people at their most vulnerable, and be that light in the dark that some people are missing
Reply 1
I’m a beggar, but instead of asking for help I want to give out help, but it seems nobody is interested
Reply 2
Original post by faista0
I’m a beggar, but instead of asking for help I want to give out help, but it seems nobody is interested

Have you considered studying medicine abroad? i could probably link a few good websites
Reply 3
Original post by faista0
Hi, I’m a gap year student reapplying for medicine. I’m faced with the tough decision of choosing my options. And it just made me think.

Why is medicine so hard to get into? I have great grades and all. Interviews were decent. But I always get faced with a rejection. I’m so desperate to do medicine, I feel like I have no other purpose. I have no passion for any other field or degree.

The thought of medicine is one that fills me with joy. But nobody wants to take me on. I just want to learn and put my knowledge into practical work. Imagine saving lives with a team of people. Nothing is more gratifying. I’d rather work for nothing knowing I did something for humanity, rather than sit at a screen making bank using chatgpt to write me code.

I just want to get in man. I have no other desire for anything. It’s tough being hit with the rejections, I honestly feel degraded. I pursed medicine to help people but it destroys me mentally. I don’t even want to be a doctor for the money or the title or the respect you get. I simply would like to help people at their most vulnerable, and be that light in the dark that some people are missing

Medicine is competitive, and they can be as picky as they want. Regarding helping people, a medical doctor is not the only helping profession. If this is your main focus then look across the plethora of roles in healthcare, some are more hands on, some are more relational and some are longer term. There are 1000s of ways to help people, and while medicine is good it is not often not the most impactful to people, as it can be fly in fly out without spending much time getting to build a relationship with a person. The old addage applies, people rarely remember what you did but instead how you made them feel.

Take care,

Gerry
Original post by faista0

one of my friends managed to 'trick' her way into medicine. she dropped out after a terrible year. that is why.
Original post by faista0

have you considered asking them the reason they rejected you?
Fixed number of places (government imposed quota) and lots of people want to go into it due to perceived good career outcomes and "prestige" (although debatable neither of those are as true now at least).

Also something to be said forbexpecring a certain level of investment on the course intellectually and learning capacity, as a) i understand there is a huge amount of content and while I understand its not necessarily the most conceptually difficult they do just need to know so much of it and b) they need to know this because in the end their job involves making life or death decisions based on that knowledge, and they need doctors to be able to do that based on clinical reasoning from the underlying (patho)physiology and not only referring to a rigid process (which can work with other allied healthcare professions but doctors are ultimately the ones who have to make the clinical decisions on things that end up not fitting into the process for standard presentations I understand).
As a FY2 doctor, medicine isn;t what it used to be...
Reply 8
It is hard to get into as it is a popular career, and there are therefore a large number of competitive applicants.
Original post by faista0

Say that in the interview, with a twist, n maybe ur in
Wats the history though, as in where u applied last year ect n what did they say as feedback so u can work on it
Reply 10
Because I apply every year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending