The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krisses
I'm still working on my UCAS application and should be able to submit it soon. Had problems on doing the personal statement as it has to be 4000 characters/ 43 lines. I started with a little less than 4000 characters but getting them all in the 43 lines was a problem. Ended up deleting 10 lines and down to about 3500 characters. I still had so much to include but the space was limited.

Did you have a similar problem?

Everyone as the same problem. Don't worry about it
I have done periods of work experience at three different schools, I don't have enough space to list all three referees.

Also how much does it cost to submit the application.
Original post by Scienceofficer_1
I have done periods of work experience at three different schools, I don't have enough space to list all three referees.

Also how much does it cost to submit the application.

You don't have 3 references, you can only have 2. Choose the schools that you think would say the best things. My Uni asked me to bring additional references from my experience schools with me to interview on a template I downloaded from their website. This was in addition to UCAS refs, I didn't use my schools for that, I used my old Uni lecturer and former employer.

It costs £19 I think
Original post by Zoe_88
Oh my god been offered an interview from Uni of Chester! Only been waiting a bloody month since I applied! And it's on Weds 14th Jan the day before one of my school direct interviews so all 3 of my interviews are within one week! And so far I've had no time to prepare for the two I already knew about as I'm a waitress I've been working 50 hours the last few weeks, 10/11/12 hour long shifts most days absolutely knackering myself out and I only have 3 days off for Christmas which is hardly a massive amount of time. Plus I have the skills tests booked for 29th Jan which I've done little to no preparation for either and I'm awful at maths! I'm major panicking now I just don't know how I'm going to find time to prepare confidentally for all 3 plus the skills tests :-(

Firstly, take a deep breath. You'll be fine! :-) I was in the exact same position as you a few weeks ago. Working seven days a week, averaging 50 hours and then suddenly had 3 interviews thrown my way (all within the space of 6 days).

Try and get the initial panic over with and then start planning what you need to prepare. I was pretty lucky as there was a lot of overlap with my interviews. All three required me to present a children's book so I obviously did the same for each interview. What sort of things have you got to prepare?

My best advice would be to google 'typical PGCE interview questions'- jot down a few notes about how you'd answer them particularly with reference to your own experience in schools. Also, try to make sure you're up to date with the curriculum and current educational issues.

It'll be an exhausting few weeks but trust me you'll find the energy. And whenever you feel like giving up, just think how good it'll feel when you get a place!!

Good luck :-)
I have a school direct interview on 14th Jan and they have told me to teach a half hour lesson of my choice. do you guys think this needs to be related to the national curriculum??
Original post by louboutin*
Firstly, take a deep breath. You'll be fine! :-) I was in the exact same position as you a few weeks ago. Working seven days a week, averaging 50 hours and then suddenly had 3 interviews thrown my way (all within the space of 6 days).

Try and get the initial panic over with and then start planning what you need to prepare. I was pretty lucky as there was a lot of overlap with my interviews. All three required me to present a children's book so I obviously did the same for each interview. What sort of things have you got to prepare?

My best advice would be to google 'typical PGCE interview questions'- jot down a few notes about how you'd answer them particularly with reference to your own experience in schools. Also, try to make sure you're up to date with the curriculum and current educational issues.

It'll be an exhausting few weeks but trust me you'll find the energy. And whenever you feel like giving up, just think how good it'll feel when you get a place!!

Good luck :-)

Haha thanks I was proper panic central last night. I only have to present a book for one. Another one I have to do a presentation on an educational issue and the other one I don't have a presentation for I just get marked on classroom experience that I'll do on the day and things like a maths test and of course the interview.

I'm really glad I got an interview for all three as I feel like I have more chance of definitely getting onto a course now. I just don't want to mess any up. I feel like it would be the one to one interview that I'd mess up incase they ask me stuff about educational issues I'm not aware of. The presentations I'm not as worried about as I did a drama degree so talking in front of people doesn't bother me.

Thanks very much for the advise and kind words though. Did you manage to get a place after your hectic week of interviews?
I know I am extremely lucky to have received offers for a School Direct place and a core PGCE place but I'm struggling to decide between the two. The Schools Direct place is advantageous because the school is 20 mins away from where I live however my offer on the core PGCE means I will get 120 credits at masters level and is a well respected course.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice, particularly about Schools Direct - I'm worried it might not be viewed as favourable even though the one I have been offered leads to a PGCE and QTS??

Thank you
Original post by lstones1
I know I am extremely lucky to have received offers for a School Direct place and a core PGCE place but I'm struggling to decide between the two. The Schools Direct place is advantageous because the school is 20 mins away from where I live however my offer on the core PGCE means I will get 120 credits at masters level and is a well respected course.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice, particularly about Schools Direct - I'm worried it might not be viewed as favourable even though the one I have been offered leads to a PGCE and QTS??

Thank you

If it's not a salaried Schools Direct placement, then drop that one and for for the PGCE.

I just submitted my application today for a PGCE. My university tutor wouldn't respond to my reference request, so had to find another lecturer. Fingers crossed I get some interviews early in January!
Original post by monkeyman1990
If it's not a salaried Schools Direct placement, then drop that one and for for the PGCE.

I just submitted my application today for a PGCE. My university tutor wouldn't respond to my reference request, so had to find another lecturer. Fingers crossed I get some interviews early in January!

Thanks for the advice.
Good luck with your application!!
Original post by monkeyman1990

Why that advice, if you don't mind me asking? I am personally hoping to do unsalaried School Direct starting in 2016.
Original post by fluffyowl
Why that advice, if you don't mind me asking? I am personally hoping to do unsalaried School Direct starting in 2016.

I've accepted an unsalaried Schools Direct over a PGCE (both through IOE) because I get exactly the same PGCE lectures and placement length etc plus I know where my placements are well in advance in the area of my School Direct alliance and I also get extra weekly inset days within my alliance ... unsalaried schools direct is the same as a PGCE with added support from what I've learnt (although each alliance might differ a bit).
Salaried Schools Direct on the other hand is very different to a PGCE

Thank you

I have also opted for an unsalaried Schools Direct over a PGCE. I was tempted by the PGCE because it offered 120 masters credits, whereas the PGCE with the Schools Direct scheme only offers 60, but after talking with teachers and the head at my placement schools I decided a school based route was more suitable for me. I'm a very hands on learner, and also like the idea of being involved with the same group of schools throughout the school year. Plus, as others have said, there's the advantage of knowing where your placements will be, whereas with a PGCE they can often be some distance away from where you live.
Original post by fluffyowl

I personally would prefer some time out from the school to consolidate what i've learnt at university...but it depends on what you prefer. But some people prefer to study at school and have no uni days at all.

You'd hope that your school is supportive and you have people who you can go through the process with. It's very hard to go into a school that haven't had previous school's direct students, or doesn't give you the proper support that a Uni can give you.

It really just depends on what you prefer at the end of it though.
I went to a talk about schools direct with LJMU and they said you still attend uni one day a week with school directs. The only difference really is that with schools direct you start at the school straight away in September and work your way up to teaching a certain amount of hours a week and at other times you will be pretty much a teaching assistant. I'm assuming this is the same for other school directs? You get the same qualification with most of them and of course there's going to be support staff, they know you aren't trained to teach so they aren't just going to let you do it without guidance. I have two school direct interviews and one uni based interview and I'd be thrilled to get a place at any.
but of course School's direct has more (i say this based on what i've read about it) of a possibility of a job at the end! Which of course is the end goal for everyone. Yeah such a difficult choice.
Original post by rhianharrisson
I meant the other kind of support...most certainly you need a supportive class teacher and that just depends on who you get. I'm working in a school now and I see the differences between PGCE'ers and School Direct students - they don't work any less than each other, but PGCE is much more academic, while SD is more hands on and doing a lot of the TA work in a class. I figured why do the extra work that the SD do when there's another option (which is why I went for a PGCE) UNLESS you really want to go to a certain school/teaching alliance or you live close by. That's what I thought SD was for anyway, for people who are changing their career/want to be with a certain school.

I agree, if you have the opportunity to do only SD then of course go for that, but if you have a pgce place, save yourself the hassle.

I see your point, but don't really think its a case of saving yourself any hassle. It's just a different approach that will suit different people. Many (experienced) people have told me they have found School Direct trainees to be more prepared for their NQT year than PGCE trainees, as they have had more hands-on classroom experience and have been involved in school life throughout the year. Of course, the quality of training comes down to your mentors, but there is plenty of information available from consortiums about who they provide as mentors and their standards and training of mentors. If you find an alliance that you respect and trust, that shouldn't be an issue. Employability is also another factor - several alliances that I got information from about Schools Direct said they usually favour people who've done their training through them when it comes to NQT jobs. Of course, there will obviously be exceptions, and ultimately it comes down to the individual trainee, but I think its definitely fair to say there can be a lot of advantages for Schools Direct.
Reply 3256
Hello!! I am applying to Kings for the PGCE in Classics! Does anyone have an experience from an interview? What questions they make and what they ask for presentation? Moreover, Does anyone know how much time candidates have to present the required documents if they receive a conditional offer?
Thank you!

Thank you

I just accepted a school direct place over a pgce. They explained to me that as a school direct student they will treat me as more of a part of the school than they would if I was just there on odd days for pgce experience. They said you get much more involved because you do parents evenings etc. It will (in the near future) be the more favoured route because the government want it to take over from traditional pgce's as hands on experience is so important which is one reason I chose it. Also because it is an expectation that the school direct places employ you at the end which my school said they are likely to do, this saves you having to go through the interview process all over again like if you did a pgce. Either will get you the same job in the end so whichever you feel more comfortable with. You have to feel happy with the staff in the school and the overall atmosphere because they will be offering you all your support but I loved the school I had my interview at so it made me feel much more at ease about it. You'd also need to be confident to get straight in and help (they said it is very gradual as to how much responsibility you are given) but it's much sooner than on a pgce.
Uni of Chester Primary PGCE people, any advice/tips/info on how your day went? I know some people have been successful but remember reading someone had a bad experience in the interview part? What kind of questions will I get asked? Got my interview day on 14th Jan and desperately wanna get a place as it's my top choice.
Original post by krystinasumner
I just accepted a school direct place over a pgce. They explained to me that as a school direct student they will treat me as more of a part of the school than they would if I was just there on odd days for pgce experience. They said you get much more involved because you do parents evenings etc. It will (in the near future) be the more favoured route because the government want it to take over from traditional pgce's as hands on experience is so important which is one reason I chose it. Also because it is an expectation that the school direct places employ you at the end which my school said they are likely to do, this saves you having to go through the interview process all over again like if you did a pgce. Either will get you the same job in the end so whichever you feel more comfortable with. You have to feel happy with the staff in the school and the overall atmosphere because they will be offering you all your support but I loved the school I had my interview at so it made me feel much more at ease about it. You'd also need to be confident to get straight in and help (they said it is very gradual as to how much responsibility you are given) but it's much sooner than on a pgce.

I always take with a pinch of salt how the providers say their course compares to others. I was unimpressed when on an SD interview I was told one of the advantages was spending more days in school, only to check and find it was exactly the same number of days as a university-based PGCE! You don't just come in for "odd days" on a PGCE, you're based at the school for months at a time, and unless it's a salaried SD place, its roughly the same uni:school ratio. Some of the SD places do the 'uni bits' in-house, but it's the same except you stay on-site.

The main thing I would make sure of when choosing is that you get a PGCE at the end, as this opens you to way more jobs (and is recognised abroad) than just QTS. Just look at the job adverts for teachers - almost all want a PGCE (or BEd).

You're also far from guaranteed a job at the end of an SD course, you're just going to be looked upon favourably IF a job comes up. They can't create a vacancy for you, so the timing has to be right too. Someone close to me is doing SD and has already been told there are no jobs in her group for her subject!

From a personal POV I wouldn't really want to teach in a school where I'd be a trainee. Obviously no everyone will mind, but I'd rather make a new start at a qualified teacher.

I'm trying to choose between an SD at a uni I like less, and a uni-based PGCE at uni I love. I think I'm going for the uni I love for the reasons above. The only advantage of the SD course for me is knowing where my placements would be, and that's just not enough!

Every place is different, though, so I'd say do your research and get reeeeally specific - like how many days you'd spend in school vs in lectures, what other extras you might get to do etc. One of the things pulling me towards the university based course is that you can spend 2 weeks in a special school, referral unit etc, which the SD course doesn't offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending