The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

I currently have a job and struggle as it is! Will see what my options are :/ wanted to just get into teaching straight away, may need to do a conversion course anyway as my degree is in Management and Accounting and I want to go into secondary maths.
Reply 21
Original post by GazelleRot
I currently have a job and struggle as it is! Will see what my options are :/ wanted to just get into teaching straight away, may need to do a conversion course anyway as my degree is in Management and Accounting and I want to go into secondary maths.

The OU is part time distance though so perhaps you could work more hours? I'm not sure on the maths front, but it definitely sounds like you might need to with your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pom_Pom
The OU is part time distance though so perhaps you could work more hours? I'm not sure on the maths front, but it definitely sounds like you might need to with your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just dropped down from 30+ to 12 hours so I can focus more on my degree :P ha! Yeh, OU is certainly an option. Confirmed with my uni's career service that it'd be virtually impossible with only a 3rd class, so need to top it up some how! :smile:
Hi, I am thinking of applying too. I think I will to apply to schools direct and for a PGCE and see what happens!
Reply 24
Original post by GazelleRot
Just dropped down from 30+ to 12 hours so I can focus more on my degree :P ha! Yeh, OU is certainly an option. Confirmed with my uni's career service that it'd be virtually impossible with only a 3rd class, so need to top it up some how! :smile:

Ah that's a nightmare! Let us know what you decide to do! Can your uni advise you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Olives&chocolate
Hi, I am thinking of applying too. I think I will to apply to schools direct and for a PGCE and see what happens!

Are you applying for primary or secondary?

I've got my work experience all confirmed now! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been on an interview for a teaching assistant role (whereby you are basically a TA for two days and staff observe you) and I was wondering regardless of getting the job, will these interview days count towards the 10 days (minimal) experience I need in a school?
Reply 27
Original post by Olives&chocolate

I have noticed a few posts that mention PGCE and school direct as if they were completely separate animals. Most initial teacher training courses will lead to a PGCE, even school direct. Some courses will only offer QTS on its own but these are relatively rare. The PGCE is an academic award that can only be awarded by a University/HEI, however other providers of ITT will work in collaboration with a university to enable their trainees to get a PGCE. Some providers simply send trainees of to the Uni for some training days and the Uni sets the assessments and marks them. Other providers deliver the same course components as the Uni ( a franchise), some like mine are validated by a Uni to deliver their own PGCE which the Uni then awards.

just to confuse things more you can do a postgraduate certificate in education called a PGCE or a professional graduate certificate in education also called a PGCE. The first will include masters credits at level 7 the second is at level 6 (final year undergrad level).

Primary school direct places are typically run by either teaching school alliances or through lead schools within a SCITT partnership, more occasionally by individual schools. The school or partnership of schools bids for places and should lead the training but they must commission an accredited provider to actually run the training. Accredited providers can be Universities or SCITT they are monitored by Ofsted so it's worth checking their recent report for more info.
when you apply on UCAS each school direct place you can apply for states the accredited provider in small letters. If no accredited provider name is there it means the it is accredited or it is a SCITT or an HEI.

oddly you can apply for three places which means you could apply for three different school direct places all using the same university to deliver the PGCE.

sorry if that was way more info than you wanted!
Hello everyone.

I'm applying for an Early Years PGCE to start Sept 2015 but I'm confused about the application dates. It's saying on the UCAS website that the application process closes on 10th October 2014. Is this right? Seems very early. I'm currently teaching abroad. I've arranged to do my UK work experience when term starts back in September but it seems like I don't have much time at all to do it :-(

Edit: After scouting round the UCAS website, I've noticed it's now saying that the deadline is Sept 15th! Surely not?! I thought last year the process started in November. It's confusing because it's still saying 'for 2014 entry' but we will be starting in 2015. If the deadline to apply is as early as September, I'm not going to be eligible since I won't have completed the required experience before applying. I'm going to ring UCAS tomorrow to get it straightened out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Veggiechic6
Hello everyone.

I'm applying for an Early Years PGCE to start Sept 2015 but I'm confused about the application dates. It's saying on the UCAS website that the application process closes on 10th October 2014. Is this right? Seems very early. I'm currently teaching abroad. I've arranged to do my UK work experience when term starts back in September but it seems like I don't have much time at all to do it :-(

Edit: After scouting round the UCAS website, I've noticed it's now saying that the deadline is Sept 15th! Surely not?! I thought last year the process started in November. It's confusing because it's still saying 'for 2014 entry' but we will be starting in 2015. If the deadline to apply is as early as September, I'm not going to be eligible since I won't have completed the required experience before applying. I'm going to ring UCAS tomorrow to get it straightened out.

All those dates are for this year - so don't worry!!!

It will probably open in November like it did last year, they haven't released any information for 2015 entry yet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pom_Pom
All those dates are for this year - so don't worry!!!

It will probably open in November like it did last year, they haven't released any information for 2015 entry yet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I'm hoping. It just seems strange that people who are applying for 2014 entry are allowed to apply up until October 2014. I would have thought that would be too late and all the PGCE courses would have started by then.

I'm still going to ring UCAS tomorrow to clarify a date. I'll let you know what they say.
Reply 31
That's what I'm hoping. It just seems strange that people who are applying for 2014 entry are allowed to apply up until October 2014. I would have thought that would be too late and all the PGCE courses would have started by then.

I'm still going to ring UCAS tomorrow to clarify a date. I'll let you know what they say.

It's the last date for Apply 2, which is what you use when you have been rejected/have rejected all your choices. I think perhaps a few courses may have one or two spaces then? It's much like clearing with the undergrad UCAS where they have applications until October as well (or at least then did when I was applying to unis).
Just an update; I contacted UCAS and they confirmed that the dates currently displayed on the website are indeed referring to last year's applicants. The application process for 2015 intake will start in November (although they couldn't tell me when exactly). I'm very glad to hear this, as I'll now have the time to complete the necessary experience.
Just an update; I contacted UCAS and they confirmed that the dates currently displayed on the website are indeed referring to last year's applicants. The application process for 2015 intake will start in November (although they couldn't tell me when exactly). I'm very glad to hear this, as I'll now have the time to complete the necessary experience.

I am also applying for early years or primary to start in 2015. Ideally I want early years but the reality is that there are more primary providers. Where are you applying?
Do you know if there is likely to be much variation on the available providers year on year?

I also can't decide whether to apply for 2 salaried and 1 unsalaried or vice versa. I have heard that salaried is more difficult to obtain.

Do you need to have prior classroom experience then to apply for a PGCE?
Yes, if you read your chosen university entry requirements, they will usually ask for a few week's experience in a school related to the level you want to teach. My universities all say I need it prior to applying.
Original post by cutebat
Hey guys! This is so strange because I was on a thread like this for 2014 applications! I applied for a primary PGCE and got two offers, the third one clashed with another interview date so I never had it. The only advice I can give you for now is to try and get some experience in a school, if you haven't already and get you references lined up for November. You will need two. I had both of mine ready for the day it opened, I had also already written my personal statement. When applications opened, I had mine completed and sent off within the week. Earlier the better! :smile: I am so excited to start my PGCE in September and am so excited for you all! It's quite exciting waiting for emails and stuff. Also get your skills tests done as soon as you apply (you can't do them until you apply). If you go into an interview and have already passed both skills tests, that looks great! I'm not an expert on applying, but it isn't my first time. Good Luck!! :smile: P.S. if you do it early then you could find out if you have a place before christmas! Which is always nice.

Where did you find information out about what to include in your personal statement? Any tips on writing one of those? :smile: Thanks for the advice btw, really useful.
I am just wondering about the skills tests. Just had a look online and test centres seem to be really busy and tight with what dates and times they can offer you. Well, the test centre nearest to me seems that way anyway! Would you say booking the skills tests for the middle of November would be wise? Do you think applications will be opening any earlier than November? Or if they do, is it usually the first week?
Sorry for the ton of questions! x
I'm thinking about applying but had trouble getting replies from schools about experience! What kind of things do I need to write in the letter/email?
Original post by charl0tte90
I'm thinking about applying but had trouble getting replies from schools about experience! What kind of things do I need to write in the letter/email?

I would just say you would like to apply for the pgce and need experience to support your application. Perhaps mention any previous work experience. Say why you have chosen that school specifically. I would also say you are flexible and willing to help with any jobs. I spoke to my cousin and that is how I got into a school. True what they say I guess, it is sometimes who you know! Talk to friends/family see if they could get you into a school.
BTW, how are you contacting the schools? I would say telephone or direct email to headteacher.
Original post by katie543
I would just say you would like to apply for the pgce and need experience to support your application. Perhaps mention any previous work experience. Say why you have chosen that school specifically. I would also say you are flexible and willing to help with any jobs. I spoke to my cousin and that is how I got into a school. True what they say I guess, it is sometimes who you know! Talk to friends/family see if they could get you into a school.
BTW, how are you contacting the schools? I would say telephone or direct email to headteacher.

I've been e-mailing them but I'll have to wait until September now before I send out any more e-mails. I'm starting volunteering at Beavers/Scouts in September as a leader so hopefully that will aid my application! I want to get plenty of experience before I apply so probably looking to apply in 2015 now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending