The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Both were grade 5.

Really, it's better to choose a piece at a slightly lower grade that you can play well, rather than a higher grade piece that's too difficult for you, as then you'll get better marks for accuracy and interpretation.
Reply 21
My highest was 7
I played two solos; one was on the Grade 5 syllabus and the other on an old Grade 4 syllabus. My duet was a bit on the too easy side, but it sounded OK.
Reply 23
fatboy06
Erm hello to whoever moved this...

With respect, this should be in the Arts forum. It's useful for people who want to choose their pieces for GCSE. Same applies to AS. Could you stop fiddling with stuff like this i.e. stuff that shouldn't be fiddled with? There's an established community in the Arts forum, and clearly few people who have already taken GCSE music will visit this forum. I'll try AAM as well.

Everything is getting moved. It's annoying, I never look in GCSE forums for Music stuff, I'm going to end up trawling through countless forums just to answer Music questions. There'll be nothing left in Arts soon.
Reply 24
Grade 6 version of 'Somewhere' from 'West Side Story' for Trumpet! Didn't get full marks, got 24.5 out of 25!! :angry:
Reply 25
sweetze17
Grade 6 version of 'Somewhere' from 'West Side Story' for Trumpet! Didn't get full marks, got 24.5 out of 25!! :angry:

You did, half marks are automatically rounded up
Reply 26
fatboy06
Erm hello to whoever moved this...

With respect, this should be in the Arts forum. It's useful for people who want to choose their pieces for GCSE. Same applies to AS. Could you stop fiddling with stuff like this i.e. stuff that shouldn't be fiddled with? There's an established community in the Arts forum, and clearly few people who have already taken GCSE music will visit this forum. I'll try AAM as well.

I agree!!! its doin my head in!
Reply 27
Think I did one about grade 5 standard, and the other about grade 6. Did we have to do three pieces? I seem to remember doing three.
4 for violin. If i'd had had my own way, it would have been a grade 7 piano piece... grrr :P Even though its better to play a lower standard piece better, I could have played that gr7 piece very good. *sigh*
Reply 29
mine was grade 5.

high enough to get higher difficulty level. low enough to learn it in a short period of time (so dont have to keep repeating and get bored and dont have to take time away from the actual stuff i'm learning) and ace it.
Reply 30
I don't know what solo piece got submitted in the end. Possibly Bloch's Nigun or a bit of solo Bach. I think the 3rd mvt of Vivaldi's Spring was my ensemble piece though, although really since I played the solo part it wasn't really ensemble...
Reply 31
I did a couple of rock songs, so I have no idea where they would be on the grade syllabus. Got an A* for them though.
Reply 32
volts
I did a couple of rock songs, so I have no idea where they would be on the grade syllabus. Got an A* for them though.

They usually go down quite well. We have a fair few guitarists at our school and a lot of them do the guitar part to Daytripper. Gets full marks near enough every time.
Reply 33
Ack, this is annoying - NONE of the people in my school got full marks. :mad:
Our teacher was such a w*nker.

But I sang "Hallelujah" and played the accompaniment on the piano, and apparently doing the two together makes it hard enough to be of Grade 5 standard, even though I thought it was a pretty easy song as I couldn't do anything else!
Reply 34
Grade 6, but I sneezed in the middle of it :redface:
Reply 35
When I was doing my music GCSE i was grade 7 standard on my cello, but I did grade 4 pieces because thats all you need to get full marks for difficulty, so why bother doing anything more difficult and thus risk losing marks for accuracy and interpretation? I got full marks.
Reply 36
mousy
When I was doing my music GCSE i was grade 7 standard on my cello, but I did grade 4 pieces because thats all you need to get full marks for difficulty, so why bother doing anything more difficult and thus risk losing marks for accuracy and interpretation? I got full marks.

Grade 4? I though, well at least AQA, they have 6 marks for difficulty... a mark per grade... no? :confused:
Reply 37
mikeski
Grade 4? I though, well at least AQA, they have 6 marks for difficulty... a mark per grade... no? :confused:

My music teacher went to a meeting about it, and they said that grade 4 standard was all that was needed to achieve full marks for difficulty. It makes sense because you only need to be grade 6 by the time you have finished a-level music
Reply 38
mousy
My music teacher went to a meeting about it, and they said that grade 4 standard was all that was needed to achieve full marks for difficulty. It makes sense because you only need to be grade 6 by the time you have finished a-level music

Well I learn something new every day :biggrin:
Reply 39
K. GCSE = no extra marks for Grade 4, but no less, marked up if it's 5+, down if it's 3-. AS = same but each a grade up, A2 = same but a grade up again.

Latest