The Student Room Group

Which country has the hardest education system?!

Living in the UK I think A-levels are bitches. Although I want to know if other countries have harder education systems than us. I know for sure that South Korea tops em all, but I want to see a rank. I cant find anything specific to this on the internet, so hoping some of you may know?! My cousin seems to be convinced that India has the hardest education system but thats biased too as he was brought up there. But im not too sure about this.

Scroll to see replies

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by swan stardust
I have heard China,Indonesia and many Third World countries have very difficult educational systems.Having experienced the greek educational system i can undoubtedly say it's absolutely awful.

I'm half Greek and have many family members who say the same thing. I was lucky enough to be brought up in England and actually achieve a half decent education for myself, and despite the fact Gove is trying to sabotage the successes of the British education system, it is still just about effective.

I wonder how the difficulty of the education system parallels with the success of the students? The Asians (although this is a stereotype) are well known for being hard working and incredibly smart - is down to the 'hard' education system or good genes from clever parents? I have also heard that the Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish education systems are some of the most successful in the world - is this because they're 'easier'?
I heard it was China, India, Greece and loads of other third world countries. The grading system is extremely difficult there as well as the curriculum that they have to follow.
South Korea should be up there, especially for Maths. I'm not sure if it's harder than every single country in the world, though (I have never looked at the Chinese and Indian syllabi and testing, for example).
I've heard that Russian education is far more difficult than in the UK.

You can't get an A unless you get full marks. :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Hardest education system doesn't necessarily mean best education system, or even good preparation for undergraduate/postgraduate study. Surprisingly students with some of the more typically assumed difficult pre-university qualifications do significantly worse at the undergraduate level than UK students with A-Levels.
China /thread
Reply 9
North Korea. Why? Because they get shot if they fail!
Original post by Mistee M
Living in the UK I think A-levels are bitches. Although I want to know if other countries have harder education systems than us. I know for sure that South Korea tops em all, but I want to see a rank. I cant find anything specific to this on the internet, so hoping some of you may know?! My cousin seems to be convinced that India has the hardest education system but thats biased too as he was brought up there. But im not too sure about this.

china>south korea> finland> rest.

I hate Gove, in the US though there are sooooooooo many exams to take - AP/SAT/ACT/SAT2/PSAT/NSMQ/GPA etc.

Original post by swan stardust
The british education system seems magnificent to me,although i may be biased since i haven't experienced it.But just the fact that at sixth form you can choose your own subjects and they don't have to be more than five(am i right? :tongue: ) is great :biggrin:
I wish i knew the answer!I think that sometimes there's this widespread belief that high grades equal intelligence although that isn't entirely true because there are types of intelligence that school doesn't help students nurture.The greek educational system at least focuses purely on the academic development of the students neglecting completely their development character-wise.As far as i'm aware the scandinavian educational systems are the greatest because students develop as persons and as learners too and their skills/talents are not put aside,instead they are encouraged to pursue them. :smile:

No Gove is horrible and has wrecked a decent system as of before.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
china>south korea> finland> rest.

I hate Gove, in the US though there are sooooooooo many exams to take - AP/SAT/ACT/SAT2/PSAT/NSMQ/GPA etc.

No Gove is horrible and has wrecked a decent system as of before.

Not really for the US - AP is optional and you don't have to take both the SAT and ACT. GPA is not an exam...
Why do you say that China > SK in terms of difficulty?
Original post by yl95
Not really for the US - AP is optional and you don't have to take both the SAT and ACT. GPA is not an exam...
Why do you say that China > SK in terms of difficulty?

well those serious candidates like myself take ap, well I am too and yeah you're right there.

Not optional but generally the best applicants are from the US and all the international applicant asians :yep:

GALCAO.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
well those serious candidates like myself take ap, well I am too and yeah you're right there.

Not optional but generally the best applicants are from the US and all the international applicant asians :yep:

GALCAO.

What's not optional?
What's GALCAO? And you didn't answer my final question.
Original post by Josh_B
North Korea. Why? Because they get shot if they fail!

Teacher: Kim why does it say South Korea is best korea? (loads weapon)
Kim: Err
Teacher: Well?
Kim: I was... practicing sarcasm for English classes.
Certainly not the UK, GCSE's are stupidly easy. I'd guess Singapore, Hong Kong or South Korea.
Reply 16
I'd put my money on Japan, China or South Korea.
I can't say the hardest because im not familiar with all education systems on earth but Turkey has one of the hardest for sure. Each year nearly 2 million students take the university entrance examination. So competitive.Both high school and university education are tough.Teachers or lecturers don't give a damn if you didn't get the key point, only stupid details are important.
The hardest are the ones with little or no education system, so that people are trapped in poverty, if they make it to adulthood at all.
No-one knows.

Latest

Trending

Trending