The Student Room Group

Practical ivestigations in as physics and chemistry

I really want an A in both physics and chemistry, but i got a D overall in my practical investigations in both subjects. However i think i will get straight A's in my exams that i sat in physics and chemistry, so what grade will i most likely get overall? will the investigation effect my overall grade a lot >?

People who have done AS in these subjects what did you get in comparison with your practicals?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
The investigations are generally weighted 20% - so much less important then the exams but still significant. If you get strong As in your exams a B is the likely grade.

Do you know why you did much worse in your investigations? I would suggest using a day or two this summer brushing up on the important things - errors, how to improve experiments etc.
Reply 2
Original post by ALankyGuy
I really want an A in both physics and chemistry, but i got a D overall in my practical investigations in both subjects. However i think i will get straight A's in my exams that i sat in physics and chemistry, so what grade will i most likely get overall? will the investigation effect my overall grade a lot >?

People who have done AS in these subjects what did you get in comparison with your practicals?

For all exam bards the practical investigation is worth 20% of the AS, i.e. a max mark of 60 out of the 300 possible for AS so it is relatively unimportant. Still a D means you have lost at last 25 UMS, meaning you can only drop another 35 marks out of the remaining 240.
If you get 87.5% + in both exams you should get an A. If you get 75%-87.5% ull get a B.

Quick Reply

Latest