The Student Room Group

Please help me how do i learn most of chemistry for alevel in less than two weeks

Hi
so my chem teachers kinda sucked
and i never really understood the content half the time and then just pushed looking at chemistry back and bow i do not know what to do or how to save my alevel i actually NEED an A but a B will be fine if i get As in my other subjects but i’m just so stressed somebody PLEASE HELP ME what do i do?? has anyone ended up in this situation before how did you still do okay??
Original post by FloryK
Hi
and i never really understood the content half the time and then just pushed looking at chemistry back and bow i do not know what to do or how to save my alevel i actually NEED an A but a B will be fine if i get As in my other subjects but i’m just so stressed somebody PLEASE HELP ME what do i do?? has anyone ended up in this situation before how did you still do okay??

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

I would have a look at some of the advice in my excessively long post here. It may be of some use.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

I would have a look at some of the advice in my excessively long post here. It may be of some use.

okay that post has very much stressed me out even more because i wish i knew about it earlier but THANK YOU nonetheless! also, did you make any quizlet or anki flashcards during your year 13 for chemistry and maths ? IF SO if you don’t mind could you send the file (for anki) or/and the link for quizlet directly to me?? if not no worries!!! i am on the verge of dying yay gotta love alevels wooO
Original post by FloryK
okay that post has very much stressed me out even more because i wish i knew about it earlier but THANK YOU nonetheless! also, did you make any quizlet or anki flashcards during your year 13 for chemistry and maths ? IF SO if you don’t mind could you send the file (for anki) or/and the link for quizlet directly to me?? if not no worries!!! i am on the verge of dying yay gotta love alevels wooO

No, but physics and maths tutor (linked to that post) has flashcards. Find the revision page for A level chemistry, choose your exam board and you should find everything sorted by topic.
do practice papers and topic questions on the topics you struggled with (as there isn't enough time to do all topics)

organic chemistry is literally just mechanisms and the conditions and reagents. i thought it was a different language before i learnt all that now its fine.

main content to memorise is all the tests, mechanisms (including reagents and conditions), bond angles, rq practicals. cant think of anymore atm but most of the rest of chemistry is then application

youll be fine just make sure you have memorise all the content that you need to memorise and then practice and apply it
Reply 5
Original post by user8937264980
do practice papers and topic questions on the topics you struggled with (as there isn't enough time to do all topics)

organic chemistry is literally just mechanisms and the conditions and reagents. i thought it was a different language before i learnt all that now its fine.

main content to memorise is all the tests, mechanisms (including reagents and conditions), bond angles, rq practicals. cant think of anymore atm but most of the rest of chemistry is then application

youll be fine just make sure you have memorise all the content that you need to memorise and then practice and apply it

okay thank you but also, the thing is, when i say i need to teach myself the entire course I MEAN IT 😭😭 the stuff i don’t know largely outweighs the stuff i do so it’s looking not too bright but yes thank you anyway (:
e.rintoul has good videos in useful playlists. i watched through his whole organic playlist on 2x speed with the spec opened next to the video and made flashcards while ensuring i was covering the whole spec.
Reply 7
Hi Flory,
First of all, it's okay to sometimes feel lost and not understand a few things in the classroom. Here are a few tips to pass your A-level chemistry
1. You must make notes as they help to make learning easier and are an excellent revision tool. if you don't, you will forget what you have learned fairly quickly.
2. You need to spend about 3 hours of private study each evening to hit the good grades
3. Use textbooks, revision guides, and the internet to gain good exposure to any topic. Find recent past papers, print out the questions, and give your answers.
I hope these few tips help
GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU
Reply 8
Original post by FloryK
Hi

Heya!
There are plenty of resources online you can use from online courses, textbooks, past papers etc. If it helps, Study Mind has tons of free resources that will help you out with chem :h: Youtube is also a great source for chem revision!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 9
Hello, I'm quite late to responding but if this doesn't help you, then I hope it will help any future students who feel similarly.

First, take a deep breath, it will be hard and a lot of work to cram for chem last minute but it is not impossible. You have 3 chunks of chemistry to focus on. Physical, Inorganic and Organic.

Your first priority is Physical as Paper 1 is physical and inorganic chem (for AQA anyway), physical chemistry is based a lot on maths so once you get how to answer a question, you can pretty much just answer the same ones for ur exam. You will need to be able to work for long hours of time. Eliot Rintoul is amazing at teaching content so watch through all his videos in order. Between each physical video, open some practice questions from Physics and Maths Tutor to try out a few questions. Not too much, this is the learning chemistry phase. So just 10-20 mins of questions relating to the topic between each video. For Eliot Rintoul, go to his playlists and watch by topic. Thats the first step.

Repeat this for Inorganic and Physical. Keep in mind that he has not done all topics so for Transition Metals for example, try and find another YouTube video to watch. If you truly focus and wake up early and sleep late and push yourself to your limit, you may be able to finish watching all videos and doing some questions in 4-5 days. Eliot also has a one drive with his notes which I'll link. There is no time to make flashcards at this point. For physical, there isn't that much stuff u have to just memorise but this isn't the case for organic and inorganic. Organic has loads of mechanisms that you just simply have to memorise. Blurting can work, take a blank paper and write down all the mechanisms u need for each topic then check what u forgot and do it again till you remember it all. Then practice questions.

After trying to cram the content, now is time for practice papers, try to do as many as u can and mark them yourself. Do not ask a teacher to, this will help you see what the mark scheme is asking for. Obviously if you don't understand something or don't know how the answer was achieved, ask a teacher or friend for help. Do take some breaks whilst studying, you know urself best, if you are the type of person who works well in short bursts, do the Pomodoro technique, if you know u will be distracted in those 'breaks' (like me), then do long studying periods. Eat well and drink lots of water. If you can't focus at home, either go to school to revise or go to a cafe alone if you know your friends will distract you.

That's all I got, I have my first chem exam in 3 days lol and I've been frantically cramming too so you're not alone. If worst comes to worst and you don't get the grade you want, don't worry too much about it, resits are always an option and it's not the end of the world. So don't worry, do your best and soon, it'll all be over and you can enjoy your summer.

Resources:

Eliot Rintoul Youtube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@MrERintoul

Eliot Rintoul OneDrive Notes:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7D5FBED9C5407C2%21166&authkey=%21AKdoRHDpCIXpnww&page=View&wd=target%2801%20Physical%2F3.1.12%20Acids%20and%20Bases.one%7C36ea1305-cdaf-4aec-9f38-00f268c09895%2FpH%20%20Kw%7C3969b9c3-8bb6-4824-a911-90c992dc2ec7%2F%29&wdorigin=NavigationUrl

Physics and Maths Tutor (practice papers, exams and notes):
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by xscorchz
Hello, I'm quite late to responding but if this doesn't help you, then I hope it will help any future students who feel similarly.

First, take a deep breath, it will be hard and a lot of work to cram for chem last minute but it is not impossible. You have 3 chunks of chemistry to focus on. Physical, Inorganic and Organic.

Your first priority is Physical as Paper 1 is physical and inorganic chem (for AQA anyway), physical chemistry is based a lot on maths so once you get how to answer a question, you can pretty much just answer the same ones for ur exam. You will need to be able to work for long hours of time. Eliot Rintoul is amazing at teaching content so watch through all his videos in order. Between each physical video, open some practice questions from Physics and Maths Tutor to try out a few questions. Not too much, this is the learning chemistry phase. So just 10-20 mins of questions relating to the topic between each video. For Eliot Rintoul, go to his playlists and watch by topic. Thats the first step.

Repeat this for Inorganic and Physical. Keep in mind that he has not done all topics so for Transition Metals for example, try and find another YouTube video to watch. If you truly focus and wake up early and sleep late and push yourself to your limit, you may be able to finish watching all videos and doing some questions in 4-5 days. Eliot also has a one drive with his notes which I'll link. There is no time to make flashcards at this point. For physical, there isn't that much stuff u have to just memorise but this isn't the case for organic and inorganic. Organic has loads of mechanisms that you just simply have to memorise. Blurting can work, take a blank paper and write down all the mechanisms u need for each topic then check what u forgot and do it again till you remember it all. Then practice questions.

After trying to cram the content, now is time for practice papers, try to do as many as u can and mark them yourself. Do not ask a teacher to, this will help you see what the mark scheme is asking for. Obviously if you don't understand something or don't know how the answer was achieved, ask a teacher or friend for help. Do take some breaks whilst studying, you know urself best, if you are the type of person who works well in short bursts, do the Pomodoro technique, if you know u will be distracted in those 'breaks' (like me), then do long studying periods. Eat well and drink lots of water. If you can't focus at home, either go to school to revise or go to a cafe alone if you know your friends will distract you.

That's all I got, I have my first chem exam in 3 days lol and I've been frantically cramming too so you're not alone. If worst comes to worst and you don't get the grade you want, don't worry too much about it, resits are always an option and it's not the end of the world. So don't worry, do your best and soon, it'll all be over and you can enjoy your summer.

Resources:

Eliot Rintoul Youtube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@MrERintoul

Eliot Rintoul OneDrive Notes:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7D5FBED9C5407C2%21166&authkey=%21AKdoRHDpCIXpnww&page=View&wd=target%2801%20Physical%2F3.1.12%20Acids%20and%20Bases.one%7C36ea1305-cdaf-4aec-9f38-00f268c09895%2FpH%20%20Kw%7C3969b9c3-8bb6-4824-a911-90c992dc2ec7%2F%29&wdorigin=NavigationUrl

Physics and Maths Tutor (practice papers, exams and notes):
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com

I’m gonna take your advice, thank you! I got chem in 3 days too, AQA, not looking good atm, just finished making some Anki cards on transition metals still got a lot to do
Reply 11
Original post by adrigoalevel
I’m gonna take your advice, thank you! I got chem in 3 days too, AQA, not looking good atm, just finished making some Anki cards on transition metals still got a lot to do

Good luck !! I also use anki, it always takes so long for me to make the cards 😭 but I’m glad I started now at A levels cuz I have an idea on how anki works for uni
Good luck !! I also use anki, it always takes so long for me to make the cards 😭 but I’m glad I started now at A levels cuz I have an idea on how anki works for uni

fax, I regret not starting earlier though, have you finished all your cards btw? or are you still making them/ using premade decks?
Reply 13
fax, I regret not starting earlier though, have you finished all your cards btw? or are you still making them/ using premade decks?

I’m still making them as I go along my topics, I tag my cards and use custom study so I can study them per topic and then add more cards to my deck but it’s slow work so I’m thinking I’ll scrap it w exams so close 💀 just do a bunch of past papers n hope for the best
I’m still making them as I go along my topics, I tag my cards and use custom study so I can study them per topic and then add more cards to my deck but it’s slow work so I’m thinking I’ll scrap it w exams so close 💀 just do a bunch of past papers n hope for the best

oh shi same w me lol, I'm pulling an all nighter tonight to get inorganic and some of physical done, I think for chem we tend to exaggerate the content we put on the cards, there's not that much when we look at the spec and get the chunky topics out of the way, plus the cards will be useful for the morning of the test. Just gotta sacrifice more time 😩 .
Reply 15
hope the all nighter went well !! Good luck for Monday, we got this
oh shi same w me lol, I'm pulling an all nighter tonight to get inorganic and some of physical done, I think for chem we tend to exaggerate the content we put on the cards, there's not that much when we look at the spec and get the chunky topics out of the way, plus the cards will be useful for the morning of the test. Just gotta sacrifice more time 😩 .

Quick Reply

Latest