The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

I got my report today - I had my FSAC 26/03 and was told I was successful 30/03. My score was 16.40.
I had my FSAC on December 16th, found out I passed on the 18th. I received my FSAC report back in February I believe and got a 17.91. I applied for the Finance Fast Stream. I think some streams have received their reports already because the streams have closed and bands already narrowed, so for Finance the first one has closed already and the second intake is now open. I could be wrong though.
Is there anyone here awaiting their GCS FSAC? Most of my collegaues in the GCS are waiting too. Called parity today they said pass grades for this would be finalised week commencing 13th of April. Has anyone else heard for this stream?
Original post by A Civil Servant
Is there anyone here awaiting their GCS FSAC? Most of my collegaues in the GCS are waiting too. Called parity today they said pass grades for this would be finalised week commencing 13th of April. Has anyone else heard for this stream?

I had my GCS FSAC on 25th March and still haven't heard anything.... I thought Monday 13th was the final day decisions would be made though? You mean we have to wait potentially till the end of next week? I just want it to end now!!
Original post by Frenchie86
I had my GCS FSAC on 25th March and still haven't heard anything.... I thought Monday 13th was the final day decisions would be made though? You mean we have to wait potentially till the end of next week? I just want it to end now!!

Hi, yer they confirmed final decisions would be made the week commencing Monday 13th. It makes sense, it's easter so naturally a lot of people are off if final results are in on the 13th they might not be able to sift it all on one day. Think about it 35,000 apps, aprox 2,000 at FSAC, 750 jobs. It's a hard job for the recruiters on that team.

It's also worth realising for anyone who doesn't make it onto the fast stream and isn't subsequently offered an EO job the fast stream only accounts for less than 5% of Civil Service recruitment (even with the recruitment freeze). Someone on my team has just joined on one of her fast stream rotations and they are in their mid 30s. So theres no point fretting at student age failing to get on it. It's a really tough scheme to get into, because it accelerates your career progression to senior management, but its by no means the only way in, I know from experience.

But if you really want a career in the civil service the fast stream isn't the only way. So its not worth getting worked up about if you don't make it, the same competency framework which makes the fast stream accessible to university students with limited real world work experience (but with valuable life experience like running societies etc) is true across the service. If you don't get in at first, study the competencies in more detail finesse your examples and you can get in without a fast stream offer, I can tell you that from experience.

Remember also that the FSAC guide is a bit general in its competency descriptions and the real framework with the 'effective' and 'ineffective' behaviours is what the civil service really look for and this is how you should govern your competency examples both at interview, in your behaviour on the assessment centre and on the job in general. http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Civil-Service-Competency-Framework-July-2012.pdf
More pertinent question, has anyone received confirmation they are through to the FSB for the GCS Fast Stream?
Original post by A Civil Servant
More pertinent question, has anyone received confirmation they are through to the FSB for the GCS Fast Stream?

Personally, I am still waiting for my FCAS results for the Communications Fast Stream, however I follow this thread and some people know they're through to the FSB for the GCS, yes.
Original post by thursdayJ
Personally, I am still waiting for my FCAS results for the Communications Fast Stream, however I follow this thread and some people know they're through to the FSB for the GCS, yes.

I think I've seen one person (am I jealous :rolleyes:). I've been waiting since January.
Has anyone who was successful for the Central Departments stream and who has completed their pre-appointment checks been contacted by the assignments team yet?

My checks were completed a few weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything from anyone :s not even a confirmation of receipt of documents such as the posting form etc.
Does anyone know what FSAC score you need to get through to the FCO FSB? Anyone who has got through willing to share their scores?
Original post by TCandsome
Does anyone know what FSAC score you need to get through to the FCO FSB? Anyone who has got through willing to share their scores?

I got through with 17.61, though there was a further band narrowing after my results so I think some people may have got through with a slightly lower score.
Original post by hyacinthgirl
I got through with 17.61, though there was a further band narrowing after my results so I think some people may have got through with a slightly lower score.

Cheers
Has anyone sat the FSB for DS yet?

The guidance says the interview is on your motivation to join the FCO.

Is this the only thing they question you on? or do you still need to prepare for competence questions?
Is it informal or formal?

Freaking out with nerves for this one :sigh:
Original post by wizardwoman
Has anyone sat the FSB for DS yet?

The guidance says the interview is on your motivation to join the FCO.

Is this the only thing they question you on? or do you still need to prepare for competence questions?
Is it informal or formal?

Freaking out with nerves for this one :sigh:

Yeah I sat it last week, good luck for yours! Probably unfair to others to go into too much detail but the interview isn't competence based, there weren't any curveball questions in mine, the interviewers were both very pleasant so try not to be too nervous! Everyone you deal with on the day is really friendly actually and I don't think there is that much you can do to prepare to be honest, hope it goes well for you, my status just changed to awaiting results so see you the other side for the nervous wait on whether we got in or not!
Yeah I sat it last week, good luck for yours! Probably unfair to others to go into too much detail but the interview isn't competence based, there weren't any curveball questions in mine, the interviewers were both very pleasant so try not to be too nervous! Everyone you deal with on the day is really friendly actually and I don't think there is that much you can do to prepare to be honest, hope it goes well for you, my status just changed to awaiting results so see you the other side for the nervous wait on whether we got in or not!

Thanks so much for your response! :smile:

Yes of course, wasn't looking for specifics just want to make sure I'm not misreading the guidance where it says "The purpose of the interview is to assess the extent to which your job aspirations fit with the reality of a career in the FCO, not to test your knowledge of the FCO." So it's good to know that there is no curve balls! :smile:

How did you find the role play's does the guidance give a fair representation there?

Best of luck to you - hope you get good news :smile:
Original post by wizardwoman
Thanks so much for your response! :smile:

Yes of course, wasn't looking for specifics just want to make sure I'm not misreading the guidance where it says "The purpose of the interview is to assess the extent to which your job aspirations fit with the reality of a career in the FCO, not to test your knowledge of the FCO." So it's good to know that there is no curve balls! :smile:

How did you find the role play's does the guidance give a fair representation there?

Best of luck to you - hope you get good news :smile:

I definitely found the role plays pretty challenging! There's a lot of information to absorb, so other than rest up I don't think there's anything I could have done differently beforehand for prep, it's very hard to keep the competencies in mind when you're in that situation to be honest. But yes, the guidance is accurate, there was nothing surprising in there.
Reply 2836
Hi everyone,

I have my e-tray exercise coming up for the commercial fast stream. Does anyone know whether the e-tray exercises are specific to the fast stream we go for? Or is the same e-tray used for all the fast streams?

I basically want to know if I need to brush up on my maths of not...

Thanks
I definitely found the role plays pretty challenging! There's a lot of information to absorb, so other than rest up I don't think there's anything I could have done differently beforehand for prep, it's very hard to keep the competencies in mind when you're in that situation to be honest. But yes, the guidance is accurate, there was nothing surprising in there.

Sounds so tough :eek:

The only prep I've really done is read the guidance a couple of times and had a think through the example role plays - hopefully it's enough to put in a decent performance.

Not as many people seem to have written of their experiences in the FSB compared to the FSAC's. I guess I have a fear of the unknown because I'm definitely more nervous than before the FSAC! Can't wait to just finish this whole process! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bluebird82
i think its because theyve passed already. but i agree! normally they wait to release it all on the same day

Hmm... I don't think that can be why, as I passed immediately (I found out on 11th Feb)!
Original post by grownupfrog
I assume that those who are getting their reports earlier are those who have FSBs to prepare for - for HR there's no other tests after FSAC so we're not a priority in terms of getting the information out, I suppose.
Nope, I was an immediate pass and am still waiting for my scores so it isn't that.

The person who received their results last week attended their FSAC on 12th March and is a Generalist (like me). So I'm still confused as to how they're deciding the order in which to release the reports!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending