The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Super Cicero
I heard that if someone has a disability they are guaranteed an interview. Is this true?

If so, am I officially disabled since I have asthma?

Most likely not :no:

That said, I have a diagnosis and chose to ask to be considered as a normal candidate :tongue:
I heard that if someone has a disability they are guaranteed an interview. Is this true?

They call it the guaranteed interview scheme but from what I understand (as someone with a disability) all you are guarenteed is to be able to skip the verbal and numerical tests.
Reply 802
Hi All,

Apologies I know I am late to this thread and that this may have been covered on the earlier pages - can anyone advise me whether if Central Departments is my second choice, I still have the same chance as getting in to that than someone who put it as first choice?

Original post by plum876
Hi All,

Apologies I know I am late to this thread and that this may have been covered on the earlier pages - can anyone advise me whether if Central Departments is my second choice, I still have the same chance as getting in to that than someone who put it as first choice?

Yes.

From gov.uk:

What do we mean by disability?
The Disability Discrimination Act, 1995 defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and adverse long-term effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
Original post by PJ07
Yeah - wouldn't surprise me to see this slip into next week :frown:

Are the results meant to come out in late October? Is that for everyone? I was able to do my etray until the 30th October, and did it on Monday this week, so if they came out in the next week it would be quite a quick turnaround for me!

I think I will probably not get through this round though - I tried to be too careful with the questions and ran out of time with three questions still to go. Given how competitive the etray round is, I reckon that's likely enough to see me out :frown: But we have yet to see. How did everyone else find it?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a bit behind all of you people awaiting e tray results, but I did the online selection tests 3 days ago and still am waiting to see if I've progressed. Just wondering how long this took for some of you?
Original post by elliewhitt
I'm a bit behind all of you people awaiting e tray results, but I did the online selection tests 3 days ago and still am waiting to see if I've progressed. Just wondering how long this took for some of you?

It really depends on how well you've done. This year I got through within 12 hours, whereas last year I was kept waiting until December.
Reply 808

Hi! It really depends on when you do the tests! At this stage the initial successful/unsuccessful marks have now been set for verbal/numerical/competency for each of the streams so now it's a case of band-narrowing. You'll hear pretty quick if your score is in the 'immediately successful/unsuccessful' range - but they'll still be adjusting the bands for a few weeks yet, so it'll depend on where your score falls.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 809
Can anyone confirm if you pass one of the analytical assessment centres then you will be guaranteed a place on the fsac or whether your e-tray result is considered? Just because I've read before that the e-tray isn't as important for the analytical streams, they just use the written exercise for the fsac.
Original post by Vrstar
Can anyone confirm if you pass one of the analytical assessment centres then you will be guaranteed a place on the fsac or whether your e-tray result is considered? Just because I've read before that the e-tray isn't as important for the analytical streams, they just use the written exercise for the fsac.

Well according to the fast steamer at my assessment day, she said that a pass for the orac is a ticket to the FSAC

May be different this year.

How was the SAC?
Original post by marksmith888
Is it true that if you pass the EAC you are pretty much guaranteed a job?

Not pretty much guaranteed but it does happen that people are offered temporary appointments (called 'provisionals'), you can only ever be fixed term if you haven't passed the FSAC but then if you apply again in the next year and pass FSAC they make you permanent.

There is often a shortage of economist fast streamers because
1) they are generally popular with departments as they have quite a versatile set of analyst skills, you can use an economist to do parts of statisticians or social researchers jobs more easily than the other way round
2) they move on (and out of the civil service) a lot, the job market for economists in government is quite mobile, there are always people moving departments or getting promoted or going to the private sector, I am always getting invites to leaving drinks...
3) often the economist fast stream underrecruits compared to its target numbers (ie not enough people pass the assessment centres) so some departments doing get the full quota of assistant economists that they have bid for

So vacancies can be tricky to fill, outside of July/October when you get a lot of new intake economist fast streamers ready to start. A lot of the time departments are waiting on new intake fast streamers and outside the usual recruitment times you are basically just looking for those that have already finished uni and did their FSAC in January - April and were able to start immediately.

One way of filling them is through provisionals, eg sometimes the Treasury will send out an email to people that passed EAC and failed FSAC basically saying, there are opportunities for provisional appointments in the following departments, if you are available and interested please contact us for more details.

The other way is through hiring direct appointment provisionals, these are again fixed term appointments hired not through the fast stream, they will do an interview similar to EAC, and hire some temporary economists that way, but again these can't be made permanent until they have gone through the full fast stream application process and passed.
Reply 812
Original post by Slowbro93
Well according to the fast steamer at my assessment day, she said that a pass for the orac is a ticket to the FSAC

May be different this year.

How was the SAC?

Oh okay, and yeah it was alright actually, I just want to know if I've made it through or not though, too impatient ha. How was the OR? Was it at the fsac in london?
Original post by Vrstar
Oh okay, and yeah it was alright actually, I just want to know if I've made it through or not though, too impatient ha. How was the OR? Was it at the fsac in london?

OR wasn't too bad in the end, my technical presentation could have gone better however I did focus on the technicalities as much as possible and really tried to answer the question as best as possible. Yep it was, when was your AC?
Reply 814

My husband and I completed our selection tests fairly early in the process (me for HR, he for Generalist/European). I'm still waiting for my results. He was not successful in Generalist and is still waiting for his European results. I have to admit that I haven't had much sympathy for those getting impatient for e-Tray results. I kind of wish the program would just have one wave of results (or do it progressively after the registration deadline). It would be easier for everyone's peace of mind to have a set date.
Reply 815
OR wasn't too bad in the end, my technical presentation could have gone better however I did focus on the technicalities as much as possible and really tried to answer the question as best as possible. Yep it was, when was your AC?

Yesterday. Apparently we find out if we've progressed within 2 working days. Is yours the same?
Original post by Vrstar
Yesterday. Apparently we find out if we've progressed within 2 working days. Is yours the same?

Nah, we will hear within two weeks :erm:

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get through :smile:
Original post by modzy78
My husband and I completed our selection tests fairly early in the process (me for HR, he for Generalist/European). I'm still waiting for my results. He was not successful in Generalist and is still waiting for his European results. I have to admit that I haven't had much sympathy for those getting impatient for e-Tray results. I kind of wish the program would just have one wave of results (or do it progressively after the registration deadline). It would be easier for everyone's peace of mind to have a set date.

As someone else still waiting to find out if I've passed the selection tests I agree, it seems silly to have different people on different stages with little clarity on when you can actually expect to find out when you've passed or not.
Reply 818
Nah, we will hear within two weeks :erm:

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get through :smile:

ah okay, and thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by modzy78

Also waiting for online tests (European). Based on last year's thread, it looks like they might release another wave around the end of this coming week (last year they released some on 4 Nov), and then the final lot in mid-late November.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending