The Student Room Group

exponential graphs

how to finds coordinates when two exponential graphs insect?

help with this please :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
You know that at the point of intersection, that both the x and y values must be the same. So y = y - can you see where to go from here (it's the same process as finding the intersection between a straight line y = mx + c and a quadratic y = ax^2 + bx + c)?
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
You know that at the point of intersection, that both the x and y values must be the same. So y = y - can you see where to go from here (it's the same process as finding the intersection between a straight line y = mx + c and a quadratic y = ax^2 + bx + c)?

thanks for trying to help but I've labelled the graphs wrong. the n and m should swap over. And I don't really understand what you mean.
Reply 3
Original post by Purple27
thanks for trying to help but I've labelled the graphs wrong. the n and m should swap over. And I don't really understand what you mean.

Would you know how to find the point of intersection of two straight lines?
Reply 4
Original post by tory88
Would you know how to find the point of intersection of two straight lines?

yh you can find out using simultaneous equations
Reply 5
yh you can find out using simultaneous equations

So if I had two lines:

(1) y = 2x
(2) y = x + 6

How would you find their point of intersection?
Reply 6
Original post by tory88
So if I had two lines:

(1) y = 2x
(2) y = x + 6

How would you find their point of intersection?

by moving the x to the other side

x= 6 y=12
Reply 7
by moving the x to the other side

x= 6 y=12

Well, another way to d this is to say that at the point of intersection, both lines much have the same co-ordinates (otherwise they aren't intersecting). And so you can say that:

y1 = y2

Where y1 is the y value of the first equation and y2 the equation of the second one. And so replace each y with the other half of its equation:

2x = x + 6
x = 6

As you found. Subbing x = 6 into y = 2x then gives the full co=ordinates of the point of intersection (6,12).

So, using this method, can you see how you could find the points of intersection for your curves?
Reply 8
Original post by tory88
Well, another way to d this is to say that at the point of intersection, both lines much have the same co-ordinates (otherwise they aren't intersecting). And so you can say that:

y1 = y2

Where y1 is the y value of the first equation and y2 the equation of the second one. And so replace each y with the other half of its equation:

2x = x + 6
x = 6

As you found. Subbing x = 6 into y = 2x then gives the full co=ordinates of the point of intersection (6,12).

So, using this method, can you see how you could find the points of intersection for your curves?

Yh, but the questions I have x as a power. Am not really good with powers
Reply 9
Yh, but the questions I have x as a power. Am not really good with powers

OK, so go as far as you can and post where you get stuck.

Quick Reply

Latest