The Student Room Group

Electrical & Electronic engineering applicants.

I am kind of certain that I want to apply for this course but am not really especially sure so I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this course and why they are applying for it.
Reply 1
Original post by SuperPear
I am kind of certain that I want to apply for this course but am not really especially sure so I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this course and why they are applying for it.

Hello,

What do you particularly like about electrical engineering and what swayed you to apply for it? Out of all the disciplines I would say electrical is the definite future of technology (along with mechanical of course no bias here) :wink:

I do mech eng and I do quite enjoy some of the electronics/electrical engineering topics :biggrin:
Reply 2
That's the problem, I have no idea why I am applying for it but I know what the course contains and I suppose that I do have a basic understanding of what they all mean. I absolutely loved doing GCSE Electronics and even got an A* :biggrin:.

Is it okay to just apply for it and hope for the best or can you suggest other courses for me?
Reply 3
That's the problem, I have no idea why I am applying for it but I know what the course contains and I suppose that I do have a basic understanding of what they all mean. I absolutely loved doing GCSE Electronics and even got an A* :biggrin:.

Is it okay to just apply for it and hope for the best or can you suggest other courses for me?

i would suggest thinking about what you want to do as a career and hence can select what degree is appropriate for your goal. I assume you like mathematics and physics because there's lots of it in the degree(especially applied engineering mathematics).
Reply 4
I'm going to have to say that I have no specific career in mind and I simply want to do this course and see what career I got. I wouldn't mind a job in the automotive industry especially with the rise of electric vehicles. And no, I actually don't really like Physics or Maths but I love the electricity part.
Reply 5
And no, I actually don't really like Physics or Maths but I love the electricity part.

Lol what? You want to do engineering but you don't like maths and physics?

I strongly suggest you stay well clear of any engineering if this is the case.
Reply 6
I'm going to have to say that I have no specific career in mind and I simply want to do this course and see what career I got. I wouldn't mind a job in the automotive industry especially with the rise of electric vehicles. And no, I actually don't really like Physics or Maths but I love the electricity part.

You'll be able to apply for jobs in many different sectors with such a degree, so don't worry about that. :smile:

Original post by a10
Lol what? You want to do engineering but you don't like maths and physics?

I strongly suggest you stay well clear of any engineering if this is the case.

I like the engineering topics much more and I'm about to start on my 4th year. Once you get past the basic maths and physics topics in the first one or two years, its not so bad with the maths and physics - depending on what units you choose of course.
Reply 7
Original post by ahpadt

I like the engineering topics much more and I'm about to start on my 4th year. Once you get past the basic maths and physics topics in the first one or two years, its not so bad with the maths and physics - depending on what units you choose of course.

yeah but despite that you would expect that one on the course must have some interest in mathematics and physics since the course is heavily based around it. In his case he says he doesn't like maths and physics but likes electricity? :lolwut:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by a10
yeah but despite that you would expect that one on the course must have some interest in mathematics and physics since the course is heavily based around it. In his case he says he doesn't like maths and physics but likes electricity? :lolwut:

As long as he can get through the theoretical boring modules for maths and physics in the beginning it's not a problem (but yes, you need to be kinda good at it so that you dont give up). When you get to do some real engineering ( :wink: ) both during and after university, you might not necessarily be drowned in boring theory, but rather an application where you likely just need bits and pieces of maths or physics you learnt in the first year. For example, I did a digital communications module in y3 where the only maths was some basic matrices operations.
Reply 9
Original post by ahpadt
As long as he can get through the theoretical boring modules for maths and physics in the beginning it's not a problem (but yes, you need to be kinda good at it so that you dont give up). When you get to do some real engineering ( :wink: ) both during and after university, you might not necessarily be drowned in boring theory, but rather an application where you likely just need bits and pieces of maths or physics you learnt in the first year. For example, I did a digital communications module in y3 where the only maths was some basic matrices operations.

have you had any luck with placements/internships?
Reply 10
Original post by a10
have you had any luck with placements/internships?

Never tried applying for either. I considered doing a placement while in year 1, but put the thought of it away. I've got work experience from other jobs.
Reply 11
Original post by ahpadt
Never tried applying for either. I considered doing a placement while in year 1, but put the thought of it away. I've got work experience from other jobs.

fair enough :smile:
Maths is a pretty important part of engineering, including electronics (I'm doing EE). You don't need to be a maths genius (it would help though), or even enjoy it but you must be fairly competent. If you aren't you wont even get in anyway. There are loads of different parts of electronics, some have load of maths (broadly speaking these are usually analogue or communications based topics, though there are many), some don't (for example programming, logic etc.).

If you simply don't like theoretical maths but are confident in your abilities absolutely do EE.

P.S. My electronics interest was also piqued by GCSE electronics (for which I also got an A*).

Good luck!
Any EE students from UCL? Insight into the week of first years? And preparing over the summer?

How many people go to Caltech in the year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stickman
Any EE students from UCL? Insight into the week of first years? And preparing over the summer?

How many people go to Caltech in the year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't go to UCL but according to THIS only 2 students can go to Caltech, and the opportunity seems to be open to all engineering fields so competition might be a bit fierce.
Original post by History98
I don't go to UCL but according to THIS only 2 students can go to Caltech, and the opportunity seems to be open to all engineering fields so competition might be a bit fierce.

Cheers! Cool - am up for it :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest