The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

HELP - Second Year Entry

Hi, I received an unconditional offer to study Maths & Physics at Edinburgh on year 1 entry, however I have always thought about going for second year entry. I met the conditions for second year entry as I achieved A1, A1, A1 at Advanced Higher Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I don't know what you exactly need to get (should be on the website) but I phoned and they said that I could change my course to second year if I wanted. However, this may have already been asked countless times but I'm worried about two things: the social aspects and workload. I feel that I coped easily with my Advanced Highers, but I don't know how I will cope living away from home with second year, but most importantly I'm worried about making friends if I skip ahead, especially as I will be younger than a lot of people. I will be 17 years of age when I attend university and will turn 18 in a few months time. So some advice would be good, I believe I could cope academically with second year, but the other things are just as important. Thanks for your time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pliskin
Hi, I received an unconditional offer to study Maths & Physics at Edinburgh on year 1 entry, however I have always thought about going for second year entry. I met the conditions for second year entry as I achieved A1, A1, A1 at Advanced Higher Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I don't know what you exactly need to get (should be on the website) but I phoned and they said that I could change my course to second year if I wanted. However, this may have already been asked countless times but I'm worried about two things: the social aspects and workload. I feel that I coped easily with my Advanced Highers, but I don't know how I will cope living away from home with second year, but most importantly I'm worried about making friends if I skip ahead, especially as I will be younger than a lot of people. I will be 17 years of age when I attend university and will turn 18 in a few months time. So some advice would be good, I believe I could cope academically with second year, but the other things are just as important. Thanks for your time.

You will not be the only person ever who is starting in the second year. Nobody has died from it.:wink:

Nobody will even know how old you are unless you tell them, and they won't care very much. University is not like school. The people you meet are adults and are from a much wider range of ages and backgrounds than you are used to. You will be pretty mainstream.

The workload is something you can only judge for yourself, but if the university decides that you meet the criteria for entry, then they have the experience to know. They've been doing it for quite a while now.

Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hey. Sorry I just seen your post on my page asking to help you with the MAT which yes I'd be happy to do if you are still working on it. Yea I'd be surprised if Edinburgh didn't let you go into second year, my offer which was for second year mathematical physics was AAA (maths, applied maths: mechanics, physics). I've heard that when you go to Edinburgh they're quite relaxed about what year you start at, and they suggest or let you know that you could go into second year. Like you, I'd also be a little worried about the social aspect but carnationlilyrose seems to have easily put any worries out of mind. I wouldn't worry about it, as if you're going to be living in halls then you'll still have a pretty social experience.
Reply 3
I went into second year directly with AAA (maths, physics, computing) at AH studying Mathematical Physics. You will be allowed to enter directly - when you meet with your personal tutor, you can decide then. I was only 17 when I started but there was somebody even younger than me on my course (albeit a few days). You'll make friends with the people who also skipped and eventually (it takes a while) will become friends with everyone else. The workload isn't bad at all - if you attend lectures and tutorials and do your homework then you should be fine for second year. The bigger jump comes in third and fourth year but you should be adequately prepared by then.

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer.
Reply 4
Original post by jadoreétudier
Hey. Sorry I just seen your post on my page asking to help you with the MAT which yes I'd be happy to do if you are still working on it. Yea I'd be surprised if Edinburgh didn't let you go into second year, my offer which was for second year mathematical physics was AAA (maths, applied maths: mechanics, physics). I've heard that when you go to Edinburgh they're quite relaxed about what year you start at, and they suggest or let you know that you could go into second year. Like you, I'd also be a little worried about the social aspect but carnationlilyrose seems to have easily put any worries out of mind. I wouldn't worry about it, as if you're going to be living in halls then you'll still have a pretty social experience.

Hey, thanks a lot. I'm still working on some MATs and STEP at the moment (only to improve my maths ability for my Cambridge interview (if I get one that is) and because I don't have much else to do at the moment). But yeah, I will probably re-apply to Imperial and Cambridge this year but for physics and physical natural sciences, no harm in applying I guess.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by soup
I went into second year directly with AAA (maths, physics, computing) at AH studying Mathematical Physics. You will be allowed to enter directly - when you meet with your personal tutor, you can decide then. I was only 17 when I started but there was somebody even younger than me on my course (albeit a few days). You'll make friends with the people who also skipped and eventually (it takes a while) will become friends with everyone else. The workload isn't bad at all - if you attend lectures and tutorials and do your homework then you should be fine for second year. The bigger jump comes in third and fourth year but you should be adequately prepared by then.

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer.

Hi, thanks for replying it's much appreciated. Is there any content that I will miss in maths/physics by making the jump to second year that I will have to catch up on? Okay, that's pretty good, I will probably make up my mind then (no doubt on the spot haha). Yes, I've heard about that jump from a few students I spoke to, you apparently hit the wall running. May I ask about social aspects, is being 17 a huge disadvantage at Edinburgh uni? Especially with freshers week and stuff because I can't go to clubs and drink etc. Also, can I ask how many people roughly skip into second year in the maths/physics courses?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Pliskin
Hi, thanks for replying it's much appreciated. Is there any content that I will miss in maths/physics by making the jump to second year that I will have to catch up on? Okay, that's pretty good, I will probably make up my mind then (no doubt on the spot haha). Yes, I've heard about that jump from a few students I spoke to, you apparently hit the wall running. May I ask about social aspects, is being 17 a huge disadvantage at Edinburgh uni? Especially with freshers week and stuff because I can't go to clubs and drink etc. Also, can I ask how many people roughly skip into second year in the maths/physics courses?

For the Maths and Physics degree you do an "accelerated" versions of the normal first year courses as well as standard second year courses. So you will cover the stuff they covered but just at a quicker pace which you should be able to cope with considering your school results. Have a look at what you will be doing here: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/14-15/dpt/utmatph.htm

I was 17 throughout the whole of first semester (December birthday). During freshers I still went to the union events - you can still get in, just you cannot buy alcohol. Of course there are ways around this. You'll make friends in halls who can buy you drink for flat parties. When some people went off to clubs I just went to flats.

The number of people who skipped for maths/physics was about 15-20 but there was about double that for those doing just maths and just physics - you'll meet all of them.
Original post by Pliskin
Hey, thanks a lot. I'm still working on some MATs and STEP at the moment (only to improve my maths ability for my Cambridge interview (if I get one that is) and because I don't have much else to do at the moment). But yeah, I will probably re-apply to Imperial and Cambridge this year but for physics and physical natural sciences, no harm in applying I guess.

Cool, well don't hesitate to ask for help, bearing in mind that I'm no expert as I got 50% in my MAT! What did you apply for last year?
Original post by Pliskin

Stop worrying. Loads of students do it. I did second year entry MEng civil engineering before switching to maths. There'll be others like you doing second year entry in your course, you'll be able to buddy up with them.

ALTHOUGH an extra year as a student is quite nice. The only downside is you'll spend first year repeating everything you learned in your Advanced Highers. That's a huge positive to direct second year entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending