The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The acceptance rate for transfer students

Hi, I am an international student and currently studying my first year in university of birmingham. However, I applied to university of edinburgh through UCAS for the second year entry and I want to ask what is the acceptance rate for that? Also is it hard to transfer?

Kind regards.
Original post by Zeroldx
Hi, I am an international student and currently studying my first year in university of birmingham. However, I applied to university of edinburgh through UCAS for the second year entry and I want to ask what is the acceptance rate for that? Also is it hard to transfer?

Kind regards.

I wouldnt know the percentage and it might be different for international students. Generally most universities dont accept transfer students into the 2nd year and students have to restart from year 1. To do a transfer to year 2 you need to meet the universities entrance requirement eg A level grades and the modules taken in first year need to align. The only way to find out whether Edinburgh will accept you is to ask them but the chances of it happening would be very low. I would ring them rather than email so you can answer any queries they have. Is there a reason for the transfer.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
I wouldnt know the percentage and it might be different for international students. Generally most universities dont accept transfer students into the 2nd year and students have to restart from year 1. To do a transfer to year 2 you need to meet the universities entrance requirement eg A level grades and the modules taken in first year need to align. The only way to find out whether Edinburgh will accept you is to ask them but the chances of it happening would be very low. I would ring them rather than email so you can answer any queries they have. Is there a reason for the transfer.

Entry into second year for Scottish universities is a slightly different set up, as for many courses most students could go for second year entry if they have the right grades. So they won't really be looking at first year modules.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applying/making-an-application/second-year
Reply 3
Original post by S1098
Entry into second year for Scottish universities is a slightly different set up, as for many courses most students could go for second year entry if they have the right grades. So they won't really be looking at first year modules.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applying/making-an-application/second-year

So, what are the grades that they will look for to be accepted?

honestly I contacted with them and they told me you have at least get as an AVG 60% of your first year or above to be considered.

However, it is still there some competition because there are some limits for the seat. Therefore, I am not sure how hard it would be to be accepted.
Reply 4
Original post by Zeroldx
So, what are the grades that they will look for to be accepted?

honestly I contacted with them and they told me you have at least get as an AVG 60% of your first year or above to be considered.

However, it is still there some competition because there are some limits for the seat. Therefore, I am not sure how hard it would be to be accepted.

Each course lists the qualifications for second year entry, if it is available for that. For Edinburgh that will be what you need to be considered. Sounds like they also want to know that you've done ok in your first year at uni. If you are applying through UCAS then you'll be up against any other applicants for second year entry. I don't know how many spaces there are but obviously fewer than first year entry! It's probably about filling spaces made by people who have dropped out or changed course.
Reply 5
Original post by S1098
Each course lists the qualifications for second year entry, if it is available for that. For Edinburgh that will be what you need to be considered. Sounds like they also want to know that you've done ok in your first year at uni. If you are applying through UCAS then you'll be up against any other applicants for second year entry. I don't know how many spaces there are but obviously fewer than first year entry! It's probably about filling spaces made by people who have dropped out or changed course.

So, I just would be lucky if they accepted me ha 🙂 ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending