The Student Room Group

Advice for a future in medicine after not meeting the requirements

I've just got my higher exam results and got 5 B's. Unfortunately that's not enough to get into medical school.

I've been focussed on medicine for a while and I'm determined not to give up at the first hurdle.

I'm starting to look at biomedical science courses as I've heard that you can transfer from them into the medicine course. Do you have to complete the degree to then go forward into medicine or can you switch after a year or two?

I'm also curious as to what the armed forces can do to help me. Can they help me secure a place in medical school?

If anyone has been in this position and can give me advice it'd be greatly appreciated.
It is not unheard of to move from Biomed but it is not common by a long shot. A lot of unis would prefer for you to apply with your degree complete.

Hype en Ecosse
qfa

Just in case you have anything to add re: highers.
Original post by Neostigmine
It is not unheard of to move from Biomed but it is not common by a long shot. A lot of unis would prefer for you to apply with your degree complete.

Just in case you have anything to add re: highers.

Unfortunately no special Scottish rules here, your advice is great. :smile:

It's worth noting that Edinburgh have a Medical Sciences programme where they select a few students to join the MBChB in year 2 after they're 3rd year at uni (apply before honours years). That'll suit some people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending