The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Apprenticeship

So firstly, I understand that this may be complicated and I may not get the answer I need but I thought it would be worth a try.

I went to uni to do a psychology course from 2020-2022 but last year I had dropped out due to multiple reasons. Recently I finally got back on my feet and got a job in a hospital pharmacy and I am looking to do the technician course, which is a 2 year BTEC level 3 course. I am now looking for advice on how I should plan out my future, academically speaking.

I really want to eventually complete an undergrad degree (possibly biology related) after this level 3 course but I have a lot of factors to consider. I have used 2 years of my student loan therefore I have two more I can possibly use. So if I somehow am able to go back to uni, I would still need to fund one year myself.

Also, I did quite bad in my A-Levels, and got CCD so Im not very picky on the uni I will choose. But, one question I have is, will the level 3 course I am about to do give me more UCAS points? and is it possible to use to meet uni course requirements?

But overall, my plan is to do this technician course, then go back to uni (I am considering Open University but that will make getting a loan more complicated) and then do a masters degree and maybe get a higher job in pharmacy? Someone tell me if I am being too optimistic here.
Reply 1
Original post by nicoleayr3
ut, one question I have is, will the level 3 course I am about to do give me more UCAS points?

Exactly what BTEC Level 3 qualification will you gain at the end of the apprenticeship?

If its a 'trade' qualification, and not an academic course, its very unlikely to attract UCAS points or be accepted by a University for entrance to a degree course.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Exactly what BTEC Level 3 qualification will you gain at the end of the apprenticeship?

If its a 'trade' qualification, and not an academic course, its very unlikely to attract UCAS points or be accepted by a University for entrance to a degree course.

I completely understand that and yes it most probably is just a trade qualification. Im wondering if you are able to help me with other questions after more consideration about the situation.

I still want to go back to uni in the future, however since I can still use 2 more years of loan, will the amount change now that I live alone?

Also is there a possibility I can carry on my past course after like 3 or 4 years? It seems like a stupid question I know but I guess im asking for clarification.
Original post by nicoleayr3

I really want to eventually complete an undergrad degree (possibly biology related) after this level 3 course but I have a lot of factors to consider. I have used 2 years of my student loan therefore I have two more I can possibly use. So if I somehow am able to go back to uni, I would still need to fund one year myself.

Some courses fall under the equivalent or lower qualification (ELQ) exception rules, which means you could still get funding for both tuition and maintenance costs for the duration of the course. The following Allied Health Professional courses are eligible:

Chiropody
Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
Dietetics
Dietetics and nutrition*
Midwifery (Degree Level)
Nursing (Degree Level)
Nursing and social work** (Dual honours)
Occupational therapy
Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography
Radiotherapy
Speech and language therapy

If you were interested in any of the above, you could look at courses with foundation years if your current A level grades don't meet entry requirements.

Some part-time courses also qualify for exception funding (please note the following list might not be up to date so please check with the official reps on Ask Student Finance England forum):

Medicine and Dentistry
Subjects allied to medicine
Biological and Sport Science
Psychology
Veterinary Sciences
Agriculture, food and related sciences
Physical Sciences
Mathematical Sciences
Engineering and Technology
Computing
Geography, Earth and Environmental Studies
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Some courses fall under the equivalent or lower qualification (ELQ) exception rules, which means you could still get funding for both tuition and maintenance costs for the duration of the course. The following Allied Health Professional courses are eligible:

Chiropody
Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
Dietetics
Dietetics and nutrition*
Midwifery (Degree Level)
Nursing (Degree Level)
Nursing and social work** (Dual honours)
Occupational therapy
Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography
Radiotherapy
Speech and language therapy

If you were interested in any of the above, you could look at courses with foundation years if your current A level grades don't meet entry requirements.

Some part-time courses also qualify for exception funding (please note the following list might not be up to date so please check with the official reps on Ask Student Finance England forum):

Medicine and Dentistry
Subjects allied to medicine
Biological and Sport Science
Psychology
Veterinary Sciences
Agriculture, food and related sciences
Physical Sciences
Mathematical Sciences
Engineering and Technology
Computing
Geography, Earth and Environmental Studies

This is actually really helpful thank you! Im thinking of doing a health professional foundation course which gets me a guaranteed spot on one of those degrees sometime in the future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending