The Student Room Group

Disappointing AS Results, HELP?

I want to do economics at a university like Cambridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick, but I think my AS-level results have pushed me beyond them?

Mathematics: Achieved: A / Predicted (A2): A* - 96%
Further Mathematics: Achieved A / Predicted (A2): A - 82%
Physics: Achieved: A / Predicted (A2): A* - 91.3%
Japanese: Achieved: A / Predicted (A2): A - 86%
Geography: Achieved: A / Dropped - 85.5%
Economics: Achieved: B / Predicted (A2): A - 77.5%

I was shocked when I saw my results because both my teacher and I expected to at least get 85% in economics, probably closer to 90% but I came out way short despite the fact that I felt fairly confident after the exams. I'm going to get a remark on both papers (77 unit 1, 78 unit 2), but if it doesn't go up to an A what should I do?

Would any top tier universities give me an offer even with a B in econ? Even if it does go up to an A, I know I would still be a no-hoper for Cambridge because my top 3 average is still only around 91%.

Also, can anyone tell me how likely it is that my grade with jump from a B to an A (I need 5ums from 2 papers) following the remark?

Thanks.
Original post by JuliOkayama
I want to do economics at a university like Cambridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick, but I think my AS-level results have pushed me beyond them?

I was shocked when I saw my results because both my teacher and I expected to at least get 85% in economics, probably closer to 90% but I came out way short despite the fact that I felt fairly confident after the exams. I'm going to get a remark on both papers (77 unit 1, 78 unit 2), but if it doesn't go up to an A what should I do?

Would any top tier universities give me an offer even with a B in econ? Even if it does go up to an A, I know I would still be a no-hoper for Cambridge because my top 3 average is still only around 91%.

Also, can anyone tell me how likely it is that my grade with jump from a B to an A (I need 5ums from 2 papers) following the remark?

Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed in your grades, but your result is still fantastic! 91% is a very good top 3 average, but it's a shame that your Economics isn't included and that! Cambridge might be out of reach because of that, but there's no harm in applying! You have 5 choices on UCAS after all.

You should be okay to apply to the rest of the universities, provided the rest of your application is in order. :smile:

I'm afraid a grade jump from a remark isn't very likely, but again, what's the harm in trying?
Reply 2
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed in your grades, but your result is still fantastic! 91% is a very good top 3 average, but it's a shame that your Economics isn't included and that! Cambridge might be out of reach because of that, but there's no harm in applying! You have 5 choices on UCAS after all.

You should be okay to apply to the rest of the universities, provided the rest of your application is in order. :smile:

I'm afraid a grade jump from a remark isn't very likely, but again, what's the harm in trying?

Thank you for the reply. If my economics grade does get bumped up to an A, which hopefully it will, do you think I should apply to Oxford rather than Cambridge? Then I could submit 6A's without UMS, which would probably be a more impressive transcript than the one I would have to send to Cambridge, which would include UMS, right?

Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by JuliOkayama

Thanks.

When I applied I was required to get an A in Economics by Cambridge, LSE, UCL & Durham. If it doesnt go up (I think about 20% or remarks result in a changed grade) then why not look at related courses such as LSE Accounting & finance or Reading Real Estate & Investment or Durham Business studies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending