The Student Room Group

2023 a level results

So I got BBC in my A levels yet got an offer from my first choice uni. I’m super disappointed with myself and upset because I’m stupid, i worked so hard just to get that and honestly, I should’ve started to study earlier. I genuinely don’t know what to do. I really don’t want to repeat my A levels and if i did, I’d have to financially support myself because my parents are refusing to help me. I want to study Psychology and my dream is to do my masters at Kings, potentially in neuroscience or psychology but even if i work super hard and get a 1:1, im scared they will reject me on the basis of my A- levels. My boyfriend even got A*AB and he isnt even going uni yet, Please give me some advice. I’m completely torn, I really really want to study at uni and learn new stuff, meet new people rather than spend a year redoing a subject where I may not even improve because it’s quite difficult but im scared it will completely ruin my future.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mayab23
So I got BBC in my A levels yet got an offer from my first choice uni. I’m super disappointed with myself and upset because I’m stupid, i worked so hard just to get that and honestly, I should’ve started to study earlier. I genuinely don’t know what to do. I really don’t want to repeat my A levels and if i did, I’d have to financially support myself because my parents are refusing to help me. I want to study Psychology and my dream is to do my masters at Kings, potentially in neuroscience or psychology but even if i work super hard and get a 1:1, im scared they will reject me on the basis of my A- levels. My boyfriend even got A*AB and he isnt even going uni yet, Please give me some advice. I’m completely torn, I really really want to study at uni and learn new stuff, meet new people rather than spend a year redoing a subject where I may not even improve because it’s quite difficult but im scared it will completely ruin my future.

It sounds like the right thing for you to do might be to take it on the chin and move on, specially if you will struggle financially to retake our A Levels (and, more importantly, since you don't want to retake your A Levels!). Once you have your degree, your A Level results won't matter quite as much.
Reply 2
Original post by mayab23

Focus on getig a great degree ..
i got bbc rn too.. i'm gonna retake tho
i'm so shocked bc i got aab at as and i was expecting the same, but i missed grade boundaries slightly ugh so annoying. anyways good luck
Original post by mayab23

Hi @mayab23,

I am sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your results. :frown:

Firstly congratulations on getting in to your firm choice! This is something that should definitely be celebrated. I currently study undergraduate Psychology too and hope to do a masters and PhD in the next few years so we are in similar boats.

Work experience and other skills are often just as valuable as grades especially with Psychology. I agree with @CatusStarbright on this one. I think it would be best to focus on the next stage of your journey. Universities are aware you are more than your grades which is why most of them ask for personal statements even at masters level.

I would recommend building up your CV with relevant work experience such as research assistant work, which might be easier to find at university. The way I found my research assistant roles (I am on my 4th research assistant role) was simply approaching lecturers who researched topics I was interested in and asking if there was a way I could get involved (I did build rapport before this). It helps to know what they are interested in, which you can usually do by looking at their staff profiles on the university website. If you would like to talk about getting work experience related to Psychology, I would be more than happy to discuss with you!

Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by starrrrlight99
i got bbc rn too.. i'm gonna retake tho
i'm so shocked bc i got aab at as and i was expecting the same, but i missed grade boundaries slightly ugh so annoying. anyways good luck

Do you have an offer from uni?
if you've got an offer from uni then i wouldn't retake! as long as you have your place its okay. i feel the same with my results, i got A* all throughout the years for psychology and today my results were a C. but i have my place at university, and thats all that matters. if you're a couple marks off, you could ask for it to be appealed and reviewed again to try and bump up a grade and i think the school would pay for that for you. but other than that, i wouldn't stress about it!
Reply 7
Original post by mayab23

Tbh masters dont really care about a levels haha
Reply 8
@beefreya @ihatedctinrs @CatusStarbright @University of Kent @Muttley79 @starrrrlight99
Thank you all so much for being so nice and supportive! I’ve decided I’m super happy I have an offer and one grade won’t bring me down. I’m disappointed but will work super hard in university and improve :smile:
Original post by mayab23
@beefreya @ihatedctinrs @CatusStarbright @University of Kent @Muttley79 @starrrrlight99
Thank you all so much for being so nice and supportive! I’ve decided I’m super happy I have an offer and one grade won’t bring me down. I’m disappointed but will work super hard in university and improve :smile:

I'm glad you're feeling more positive! Best of luck for the future :h:
Original post by mayab23
Do you have an offer from uni?

no.. basically i only want specific unis i'm fixed on so i'd rather retake. my insurance also rejected me through clearing lmaoo.. i can go to other unis they're willing to accept me but i'd have to move out of london + course doesn't look as interesting + extra costs of moving out + no point bc i don't even wanna go much tbh. i'd rather resit and hope for the best next year. i had a feeling all summer so i'm not that shocked just disappointed in myself
Original post by mayab23

Very best wishes - go and smash that degree!
Hey, first things first, congratulations!!! I understand it can be difficult when your results aren't what you wanted but if you got into your first choice uni then it really doesn't matter. When I got my results I was disappointed with my biology grade (i got a D lol) but I somehow still got my first choice place. I was chatting to my tutor when I got there about potentially retaking Biology and he made it very clear that it didn't matter now that I was on track for a degree and I can honestly say it hasn't! There are always options so most importantly, make sure you do what is best and feels right for YOU! Good luckkk -Abi :h:
Original post by mayab23

Original post by mayab23

Hey @mayab23 :smile:

I'm glad to hear you're feeling happy now! You should be so proud of yourself, all your hard work and dedication has got you here, and you've done fantastic. So glad to read that you are going to use these feelings to make you work hard and improve at uni, it shows how well you can get through any challenges and believe in your capabilities :smile:

What are you most looking forward to about uni? Do you think you'll join any clubs or societies? I never did as a student, but there was so many cool ones I bet I would have loved it. I wish you all the best on your uni journey, I bet you'll smash it! 🙌

Becky
Reply 14
I'm sure you'll be alright, honestly from what I've heard once you've got your degree no one minds about A-Level grades! I'm sure if you work hard on your degree that will be enough to do what you want to do
Original post by mayab23
Reply 15
Congratulations on getting your first choice! It’s the same for me but I dropped a grade too so I was really disappointed as I really hoped for a higher grade, so I feel the same.I would definitely go to uni straight away if I were you, as (as someone who wants to do neuroscience as well) they will not look at your a-levels but rather your degree! You can do what you’d like so don’t be disappointed. Well done and good luck!
Original post by samsmall
I'm sure you'll be alright, honestly from what I've heard once you've got your degree no one minds about A-Level grades! I'm sure if you work hard on your degree that will be enough to do what you want to do

if so then i'd really need to work hard on my degree and get a First and get to better uni for phd
Reply 17
Unfortunately I got rejected from both my firm and insurance cuz I did not meet their offer. I have never been that hopeless in my entire life. I will just retake my A levels and reapply next year and hope for the best. If it doesnt work out again, then I basically lost.
Reply 18
Original post by Fahenul
Unfortunately I got rejected from both my firm and insurance cuz I did not meet their offer. I have never been that hopeless in my entire life.

I will just retake my A levels and reapply next year and hope for the best. If it doesnt work out again, then I basically lost.

I’m so sorry to hear that, would you consider clearing or a foundation year? The marking was especially tough this year and our grades were brought down a lot. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get what you wish for
Coming from a year 12 - what do you think happened/went wrong in year 13 that meant you achieved below your AS predicted grades?

Quick Reply

Latest