The Student Room Group

Uni advice

Hey,
It's my first year at university and I’m studying politics and economics. I just got my midterm results back and I am incredibly disappointed. However, tt’s 20% of my grade and I know that I can do really well on my final exam as it's 80% of final grade . However, I cannot brush it off and it's really bothering me. Any advice for me?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey,
It's my first year at university and I’m studying politics and economics. I just got my midterm results back and I am incredibly disappointed. However, tt’s 20% of my grade and I know that I can do really well on my final exam as it's 80% of final grade . However, I cannot brush it off and it's really bothering me. Any advice for me?

Hi there!

Try not to be too hard on yourself! I'm sure that no matter your results, you worked hard. And from what I remember from first year, I was still figuring this whole university thing out at this point in the year, so try not to worry.

I think the best thing to do it to try and look at your results and feedback differently. Although you might be a bit disappointed, your results should help you see what worked well and not so well for you in this assignment, and then you can use this feedback to progress yourself in your next assignment. Like you say, you have your exam coming up, so try and use what you've learnt from your results to better your work for your exam.

I know the feeling of not being able to shake off the thought of your results, and it's okay to be conscious of your grades, even in first year. But try your best to stay positive and reflective, and use this to your advantage.

If you received tutor feedback, make sure you fully understand it and ask them if you're unsure about what they've written. And you can also look back on your work from this assignment, and do some self-assessment. You could mark your own work, or even reflect on your work ethic, time management, etc., to see what you can improve for next time.

Good luck with your exam!

Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU 🙂
Hey,

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed with your assignment grade. I'm sure you worked hard on it, so don't let that discourage you! First-year is about finding your footing and getting used to the differences in grading and assignments, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Firstly, I think it would be important for you to take some time for yourself and do something you enjoy. Getting a worse grade than we expected can be difficult, so take a moment for yourself, and then get back to work!

I'd advise you to take your feedback and what you've learnt from this assignment, and put in the work to prepare for your exam. If you didn't receive or didn't understand the feedback you got, don't hesitate to get into contact with your tutor - they are there to help you! They might even be able to point you in the right direction with the exam too.

Best of luck!

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Hey,

Hi there

I am sorry to hear you are disappointed with your results. However, like you said it is only 20% of your grades. Whilst it is easy to get discouraged by grades, it is all part of the learning curve. (especially since you are in your first year). There are so many chances to do better in the future, and it is better to make mistakes early on and improve on future essays that carry more weight.

I received poor results multiple times in the past, and I know that it can really affect how you view your own abilities. However, from my experience, it is still possible to do well and pull your grade up. The important thing is to assess your feedback carefully, find you where you went wrong, ask for more feedback if needed and focus hard on any future assignments.

It may bother you for a while, take time to build your confidence in writing again and I am sure you will do well.
I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Hey,

Anon,

Remember that this where you have started but it is not where you want to be and that the trajectory is up!

As has been said in other posts, learn from your feedback and do some personal reflection but once you have done that move on.

(It is easy to get so focused on a past test that you forget that there other tests/assignments coming up that need your attention.)

So mentally, when you find yourself thinking over the test again, choose to 'park it' and leave it there. There are so many others things for you to focus on!

Have a great Christmas/break,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending