The Student Room Group

I don’t want to do Medicine but I feel like it’s too late

I doubt anyone will be able to relate to this, but lately I’ve been feeling like I don’t care enough for medicine. I did the UCAT and BMAT, I worked hard in Year 12 to get 3A* predictions and got nine 9s at GCSEs.
I was good at science and math, so I suppose I was sort of pushed towards medicine. However, doing the BMAT and UCAT made me realise med is much more than just science. You need to dedicate your soul to it and I simply don’t want to.
I went to my counsellor two days before med deadlines in October and she told me I’d be disappointed if I didn’t apply for it and I stupidly believed her. I’m disappointed that I didn’t think about what I wanted and just did what people “like” me do.
Just the thought of doing interviews and pretending like I care for any of this makes me miserable.
What do I do? I want to take my application back and apply for a different course but I’ve heard that you can’t do that in the same academic year (or can you?) I absolutely cannot take a gap year so please don’t leave that as a suggestion. I struggle with mental health and a year off wouldn’t be okay for me.
Please can someone guide me? I really need help.
You can apply through Clearing with your achieved results or you should have had a 5th option if you really like that One then try to secure that offer
Original post by Aeshakhan
I doubt anyone will be able to relate to this, but lately I’ve been feeling like I don’t care enough for medicine. I did the UCAT and BMAT, I worked hard in Year 12 to get 3A* predictions and got nine 9s at GCSEs.
I was good at science and math, so I suppose I was sort of pushed towards medicine. However, doing the BMAT and UCAT made me realise med is much more than just science. You need to dedicate your soul to it and I simply don’t want to.
I went to my counsellor two days before med deadlines in October and she told me I’d be disappointed if I didn’t apply for it and I stupidly believed her. I’m disappointed that I didn’t think about what I wanted and just did what people “like” me do.
Just the thought of doing interviews and pretending like I care for any of this makes me miserable.
What do I do? I want to take my application back and apply for a different course but I’ve heard that you can’t do that in the same academic year (or can you?) I absolutely cannot take a gap year so please don’t leave that as a suggestion. I struggle with mental health and a year off wouldn’t be okay for me.
Please can someone guide me? I really need help.

You can confine with it and switch courses once you get an offer. You have stated that you dont want to do med but not really mentioned any alternatives. Best to think of alternatives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending