The Student Room Group

Master Essay Mark Disappointment

Hi,
I received my marks for my first essay for LLM law yesterday and I am so disappointed. I got a pass, but I expected at least a merit. I worked very hard for it, I spent a lot of time and still did not see the results I was expecting. I thought that was the best essay I wrote between the three that were due on the same day.
This disappointment has really let me down, and I feel like I lost the motivation. I didn't feel this disappointed for academics in ages. I did get low marks during my undergraduate, but, because I was expecting them, they did not have this effect on me. This really caught me off guard.. :frown:
Do you have any suggestions, and what I should do? Is anyone feeling the same?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,
I received my marks for my first essay for LLM law yesterday and I am so disappointed. I got a pass, but I expected at least a merit. I worked very hard for it, I spent a lot of time and still did not see the results I was expecting. I thought that was the best essay I wrote between the three that were due on the same day.
This disappointment has really let me down, and I feel like I lost the motivation. I didn't feel this disappointed for academics in ages. I did get low marks during my undergraduate, but, because I was expecting them, they did not have this effect on me. This really caught me off guard.. :frown:
Do you have any suggestions, and what I should do? Is anyone feeling the same?

Hi there

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I understand that you are disappointed at the moment, but since this is your first essay for the LLM, try not to be too harsh on yourself. You have a lot of time to improve and pull your grades up, and it is important that you keep going! :smile:

I would recommend re-reading your essay and the feedback that was given to you. (Sometimes I tend to avoid reading feedback where I have achieved low marks, but it is absolutely important that you go over the work again.) Reading over feedback is the best way to identify the strengths and weaknesses in your writing, even better would be to get detailed feedback from the marker/ seminar leader. This can really narrow down issues that you can improve on.

Do not give up, I know it can be quite disheartening but keep up the effort and give it your best! :smile:
Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending