The Student Room Group

Welcome to new IBers

In parallel to the similar thread in the "dirty" A-Level forum :rolleyes: , I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread for all of those highly enlightened students who have chosen the "right" course of sixth form study.

The IBers on TSR are pretty unrepresented, but there are a growing number on TSR, so if you're taking up the course in September, identify yourself!

Subjects HL:
Subjects SL:
Why chosen:
Possible university course(s):
Extra:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey! yeah, this is really needed...we need to show it to those 'dirty' A levels! im starting IB in september and these are the subjects im doing-i know im doing 7 subjects and i hope i dont regret it! :smile:

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Music HL
History SL
Mathematics SL
English SL
Spanish Ab initio

I hope to go into biology or something...if my grades are good enough!:p:
Reply 2
Hey everyone,

Heading into my last year of IB these are my final decisions:
Subjects HL: Chem, Math, Physics
Subjects SL: English, French, History (completed History May '06)
Why chosen: I chose the HLs because my original decision was for engineering, but now I am thinking Med, but it's too late to do Bio, so I am going with things as they are. Math has always been a strength of mine...sooo I took it HL.
Possible university course(s): Engineering, Med, Law....that's all I have for now.

mYrDoG
Reply 3
Hi everyone -

Subjects HL: Chem, Bio, Economics
Subjects SL: Maths Methods, English, French B/ Italian Ab Initio
Why chosen: I chose the HL's coz I want to go into medicine, and science is probably my strongest subject anyway. Erm economics coz it sounds quite interesting, and I want to do something new :biggrin: I still haven't decided on the language coz not sure if I can/want to get back into french yet... will decide soon though :smile:
Possible university course(s): Medicine, Economics/Finance, Dentistry

Starting it next week, just a little scared!
Reply 4
Hello fellow IBers

Subjects HL: English,History and Ecomonics

Subjects SL: Biology,Maths Methods/Studies and Italian (ab initio)

Why chosen? Well I wanted to go to a good sixth form also I wanted a challenge compared to A Levels, plus at Richmond Uni (I think) they give you credit for your IB courses which allows you to skip the first year of Uni and I always wanted to study History at Uni as it has been a passion of mine.
Look at my sig and you'll know. Exams are next year :smile:

Hoping to get into econs at LSE
Reply 6
Hello comrades
I'm starting in September and doing:
HL Maths
HL Physics
HL Chemistry
SL French
SL English
SL History

I'm hoping to study physics at uni, which is why I chose those HL subjects.
HLs: Biology, Chemistry, Physics
SLs: English A1, French B ab initio, Mathematics

Why chosen: medicine:P
Reply 8
Hello im new to the Ib and im taking:

HL-English:smile:
HL-Geography:biggrin:
HL-Maths:confused:
SL-biology:redface:
SL-chemistry:redface:
SL-German:wink:

I took my HL because i enjoy them apart from maths and i did enjoy it with my old teacher but in my first lesson of IB maths i spent the whole lesson confused but oh well

Urm not really sure what i want to do but at the moment im thinking about becoming a chartered accountant but i'll probably change that career path as frequently as i do my pets names; bless them!!:smile:
Reply 9
Just to clarify that I CHANGED from IB to As Levels , in case you have noticed my sigitniture saying As Levels.
Reply 10
Hey all.

I've just started the IB... Only had about 4 actual lessons so far!
I'm still not sure it's for me really... It all seems a bit huge and stuff... We'll see.

I'm taking:

English - HL
History - HL
French - HL
Environmental Systems - SL
Italian ab initio - SL
Maths (changing to maths studies ASAP!) - SL

I took it because it seemed to be something broader than A Levels, which gave me a lot more opportunities at the end of it... So why not?
Also my mum marks papers for it and has been singing its praises for the last couple of years *rolls eyes*.
I don't know about unis yet... Just going to see how it goes.
Yaya.
Have already started IB (2 weeks in and the workload is already ridiculous).

Subjects HL: English, Geography, Business Studies
Subjects SL: Chemistry, Mathematics, French
Why chosen: I chose English HL because it's one of my stronger subjects and it'll play a major part in my career when I'm older. I'm hoping Geography and Business Studies at HL are less difficult than a lot of other courses.
I'm not a science-y person but I'm taking Chemistry because if I do well in it apparently it looks good. I'm taking Mathematics at SL because it doesn't interest me much and the idea of taking higher is not appealing! I like French but have not opted for it at HL as it is apparently very difficult. SL seems bad enough already.
If I had a choice between taking IB and A Level, I think I'd probably choose A Level. But I didn't have a choice. I do think, however, that in the longrun, IB will be more rewarding.
Possible university course(s): English Literature or Broadcast Journalism.
Extra: I'm hoping to go to university in London or another major city in England. I aspire to be a BBC broadcaster one day! That or editor for Grazia. :smile:
Reply 12
Currently in IB1 (Done with Pre-IB).

Subjects HL:
English
History
Business & Management

Subjects SL:
Maths
Swedish
Biology

Why chosen:
That's a hard question... it shouldn't be but it is... hmmm? I've chosen based on interest and ability. I've been thinking about changing History for Economics but I don't think I'll do it... we'll see...
Reply 13
i've been doing IB for only 2 weeks.
Not even a full and proper week. First week was 4 days, school started on Tuesday. The week after we had 4 days CAS trip which started on Wednesday.

ANd it's sooo much work, but i love it. Becasue when you have no work to do, you get loney and bored. And during Frees the IB suite is like a party house, everyones gone mad, too much work, trying to remember Spanish word for pain and wondering why does the Animal cell have endorplasmic thinglys to transport protiens.

It's fun.

A-levels is dirty and too easy. I have a friend whos doing A-levels, 8 frees, i have 7. But I have 6 subjects, TOK and CAS to worrie about. he's only got like 4.
Reply 14
Scottish_Expatriate
Have already started IB (2 weeks in and the workload is already ridiculous).

Subjects HL: English, Geography, Business Studies
Subjects SL: Chemistry, Mathematics, French
Why chosen: I chose English HL because it's one of my stronger subjects and it'll play a major part in my career when I'm older. I'm hoping Geography and Business Studies at HL are less difficult than a lot of other courses.
I'm not a science-y person but I'm taking Chemistry because if I do well in it apparently it looks good. I'm taking Mathematics at SL because it doesn't interest me much and the idea of taking higher is not appealing! I like French but have not opted for it at HL as it is apparently very difficult. SL seems bad enough already.
If I had a choice between taking IB and A Level, I think I'd probably choose A Level. But I didn't have a choice. I do think, however, that in the longrun, IB will be more rewarding.
Possible university course(s): English Literature or Broadcast Journalism.
Extra: I'm hoping to go to university in London or another major city in England. I aspire to be a BBC broadcaster one day! That or editor for Grazia. :smile:

your in Bangkok!!

which school??

Bangkok International
Patana?
Regents?

I'm in Pattaya, Regents International.
Reply 15
just started IB in richmond high, in canada

English HL
Geography HL
Biography HL
Japanese SL
Math SL
Physics SL
TOK

still not sure what im planning to do in the future, but hopefully studying in this enriched environment will lead me to decide on where I want to go in life
Reply 16
Subjects HL: English, Art, History

Subjects SL: Physics, Maths, Italian

Why chosen: Physics; i have absoulutely no idea (im finding it really difficult)
Possible university course(s): history @ st andrews or cambridge
Reply 17
welcome everybody

HLs: math[why??!!??!!], history, english B
SLs: biology, polish A1, spanish ab initio

after 6 school days of IB I'm completely exhausted...

but still optimistic:smile:
HL: Maths Physics Bussiness & Management
SL: computer science, french, english
why chosen erm stupidity? due to change of plans all of my HLs are relatively irrelevant and my school offers the dream team of subjects i could have picked to have an easy ride into uni...oh well :p:

original choice = ecnomics (HL physics cos it gave me the back up of computer science)

new choice = PPE dont want to risk hating economics for three years and TOK means i like philsophy. now i should be doing HL philsophy history and maybe maths
SL politics and other stuff

alas IB has its ups and downs provided i get good grades il recommend it :p:
Reply 19
Subjects HL: Maths, Physics, Computer Science

Subjects SL: Business "Joke" Studies, English, Japanese

Why chosen: Have absolutely no idea. I've been better at maths and physics than all the literary subjects so I picked them two at higher level, and through my love of computers I chose CS. English was compulsory, I knew Business was gonna be piss and lets just say in a toss up between japanese and french, japanese wins anyday :wink:

Possible university course(s): Computer Science, Computer Science with Business Studies

Extra (my little recommendations to potential IBers):If you're gonna do maths or physics HL then be prepared to work. IF you cant find a humanity, pick business and management (so easy, just common sense). Pick you're best language, coz you will NEED to enjoy it and be pretty good at it if you want to succeeed. Computer Science has a nice "little" project at the end so if you choose it, make sure you know how to use the programming language pretty well by the end of the first year. :smile:

Vote IB :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending